Question: Does anyone actually do anything with the Jens Anso Zulu?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tr4022

Question: Does anyone actually do anything with the Jens Anso Zulu?

Post by tr4022 »

Not tryin' to start nothing here, but I can't help but wonder if anyone actually uses the Zulu for their day-to-day/work needs or if its an interesting collector's piece? I like the look of it, but that unusual blade just leaves me scratching my head. Is it really practical for anything? It must be a bear to sharpen.

Interested in all viewpoints on this unusual, interesting knife.

Tod
Gomer: Goober says 'Hey!'
Andy: Hey to Goober.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I don't have one but would like to someday.

Seems to me while interesting looking it combines standard knife anatomy. It's a recurve with a bit of an upswept tip. Probably not the best at all tasks but if the belly is kept sharp it should be completely functional. A clip, drop point, or leaf are more pragmatic but I can see the Zulu having certain advantages and looks cool.
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

It is really handy when you are cutting something on a table or similar. The front of the blade is parallel to the surface while the handle is raised making it much easier to cut.
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

It's a model I considered on the same level as the Perrin PPT. Finally went with the PPT. I might buy one somewhere down the line (reminder to self - you promised not to buy anymore knives after getting the Tuff. reminder)

I hope you guys dont make me break my promise to myself. Now that would be bad :D
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

Blerv wrote:I don't have one but would like to someday.

I can see the Zulu having certain advantages and looks cool.
True dat.

T
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

Daniel wrote:It is really handy when you are cutting something on a table or similar. The front of the blade is parallel to the surface while the handle is raised making it much easier to cut.
So it sounds like the knife is almost perpendicular to the surface of the table?

T
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

KardinalSyn wrote:It's a model I considered on the same level as the Perrin PPT. Finally went with the PPT. I might buy one somewhere down the line (reminder to self - you promised not to buy anymore knives after getting the Tuff. reminder)

I hope you guys dont make me break my promise to myself. Now that would be bad :D
Yeah, the PPT seems more practical to me, and equally cool/fun looking. You like?

T
JD Spydo

ZULU: Probably at the top for recurve models

Post by JD Spydo »

I'm not a huge fan of recurves but the ZULU and the older/discontinued Stryker models are both well designed. Also I have to mention the older Adventura model if a recurve is what you think will do the job for you.

Personally I just wish the ZULU had just a bit longer blade. But I do like the handle design.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

JD Spydo wrote:I'm not a huge fan of recurves but the ZULU and the older/discontinued Stryker models are both well designed. Also I have to mention the older Adventura model if a recurve is what you think will do the job for you.

Personally I just wish the ZULU had just a bit longer blade. But I do like the handle design.
JD, do you mean well-designed for a specific purpose, or just a well-made knife with a great F&F? The latter, I don't doubt at all. Plus, I really like the handle design, too, but the PPT, say, just seems more practical and all-around user-friendly to me. And you're right, hawkbills DO rule!

T
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

The handle is 30 degrees to 45 degrees raised from the surface.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I had the Zulu in my EDC rotation for a few weeks. I love how it feels in my hand and how well it operates (probably smoother than my PPT). The only drawback to it I could find is that the blade shape didn't give it any functional advantages, but it did operate very well.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

That's thing would skin a deer in no time flat. Other than that, yeah, I think is would be a bear to sharpen.
Mud Shrimp Moe

Post by Mud Shrimp Moe »

I carry mine quite often. But the only "duty" it sees is light duty around my office or home, usually cutting paper. I do work hard with knives sometimes, but haven't carried the Zulu for that. Frankly, the Zulu is one of my favorite Spydercos just because it's so cool looking, opens easily, and feels great in hand. I do imagine it's more trouble than average to sharpen, however. But other than some stropping, I haven't had to sharpen mine yet.
nirvanero

Post by nirvanero »

It gets the job done as good as the best, at least for light tasks, and that tip seems perfect for pencil sharpenning... :) It also feels great and have that "exotic awesome" looks (Taichung fit and finish). You rarely will miss some jimping because the handle is so good, but maybe not the best knife for biggest hands.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I like some of his custom knives and the knives like the Haddock that he designed for Boker but I don't care for the Zulu. Recurve blades are almost impossible to sharpen with anything especially one as pronounced as this one.
Orlando De Free

Post by Orlando De Free »

My Zulu feels great in the hand, slices great, stays sharp. I've used it everyday for 10 months for light duty. Still has the factory edge.
Orlando

If you didn't get my dirty joke it's because you have no sense of humus - Mom De Free
:spyder: Currently own
Ladybug 3 se, Assist, Ladybug se w/photon, Techno, Rubicon, Manbug ZDP, Dice
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Does anyone(especially anyone with large hands ;) ) have a couple "in hand" pics? I keep thinking it's probably too small. I have trouble opening my Caly 3 CF for that reason (so a great knife goes mostly unused)

Thanks!

Ken
玉鋼
Donut

Post by Donut »

Orlando, please sharpen that thing, you are torturing me with those comments. =P

I don't have very large hands, but I can palm a basketball. I can get you in-hand pics later.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Donut wrote: I don't have very large hands, but I can palm a basketball. I can get you in-hand pics later.
Thanks brother, I appreciate it!

Ken
玉鋼
Orlando De Free

Post by Orlando De Free »

Donut wrote:Orlando, please sharpen that thing, you are torturing me with those comments. =P

Still shaves arm hair! ;)
Orlando

If you didn't get my dirty joke it's because you have no sense of humus - Mom De Free
:spyder: Currently own
Ladybug 3 se, Assist, Ladybug se w/photon, Techno, Rubicon, Manbug ZDP, Dice