Para 1 Appreciation Thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Chopping Broccoli

Para 1 Appreciation Thread

Post by Chopping Broccoli »

I can't stop carrying my original Para 1. I own 2 spydie pac's full of knives including 4 new Para 2's but I can't seem to put down the Para 1. Its like an old comfortable pair of boots. I like the Para 2. Heck I own 4 of them. With all the interest surrounding the new Para 2, I'd like to start this appreciation thread for the original Para.

I can honestly say that out of all my spydie's, this is my go-to worker/abuser knife. I love it!

That is all.
Current Spydies....
Captain
Persian
Chinook 3
Manix 2
Stretch (Black CE and Blue ZDP)
Military (orange, brown, and CF)
Para Military 1 (black) (My EDC)
Para Military 2 (grey, orange, brown, blue, green)
Khukuri
Sage 1, 2, 3, & 4
Dodo
Chokwe
Gayle Bradley
Caly 3.5 Super Blue
UKPK
Urban (Wharncliffe and Leaf)
Progrip
Endura (white, orange, and G10)
Delica x6
Dragonfly x2
Ladybug x4
Perrin Street Bowie
Super Leaf

KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

I appreciate the fact that the Para1 was made as if that never happened, we would not have the Para2.

I actually looked for one after I got my Para2 but could not find any with reputed seller.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I was fortunate enough to find a previously loved D2 para 1 for practically nothing on the bay. It is a truly amazing knife with a terrific steel. I own both the M390 and XHP Para 2s and I really love them, but the first one will need to wear out first before I have a need for the 2nd gen. On a serious note I do like the pivot system, lanyard hole, reversible clip better on the P2 however I can't find a real reason to put down the D2 P1. I even put a fresh new edge on here last night with the DMT stones, then the UF benchstone, then the strop. Hair-scaring levels. Thanks again to Spyderco for their wonderful creations.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Knifewing

Post by Knifewing »

The original Para (in both PE and SE) is on my personal top 3 all-time Spydercos list. For me, it's the best all-around outdoor user there is and I almost always carry one around the house for chores. That said, I must admit that the Para 2 is improved--except for one thing. It just doesn't fit my hand. Something about the extra length and the reshaped handle puts the lock in position to pinch my hand every time I open it. I jumped on the first Carpenter Para 2 then finally had to sell it. Then I went back to my original Para 1s and they forgave my indiscretion :)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I had a major love affair with my Paramilitary. I carried it for a long time. The pivot was never as smooth as the Para 2 though.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JCP1969

Post by JCP1969 »

+1 for the Para 1
I believe in safe queens , they do exist!
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

Agreed, my DIgi Cam Satin blade gets a lot of use. I have been meaning to file down the hump at the butt end of the knife as it is not as comfortable as the handle on my Para 2's. I won't make the change to my D2 Para 1 as that was a gift. Even with that minor ergonomic issue it is a really solid work knife.

I for one wish the Para2 maintained the old style millie clip. That would be my ideal para 2
PARATOM

Post by PARATOM »

I am a big para 2 fan so i wouldn't mind seeing where this amazing knife came from. If i can find one for cheap on the bay i might get it...
[LEFT]Para 2 digi cam/DLC | Tenacious PE | Sage 1 | Delica 4 FFG | Manix 2 | Dragonfly 2 H1 | Yojimbo 2 | SmallFly digi cam R | Citadel DLC R[/LEFT]
There are two kinds of people in this world, you're either somebody or nobody...
dalefuller

Post by dalefuller »

I've said before that the P1 is my fav Spyderco. IMAO it didn't need any upgrades since it was already an 11 on a scale of 1-10. It's still what I choose to carry for general EDC & woods walking stuff when I have no other considerations. My Native 5 gets more actual carry time because of work, but the P1's been there, too.

I do have a perfect P2 with great action, a centered blade, no h/v BP and an early lockup and it's an outstanding knife... one of the best that Spyderco has ever designed. It just ain't quite what it's older brother is. The blade is 1/4" too long, the pivot bushing is unnecessary, I carry RH TD anyway, and I don't use a lanyard. But... I have 3 P1s in hand and I'm always scouting around for more, so I'll always have one handy.
Regards,
Dale

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
~ Will Rogers, 1879-1935
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

akaAK wrote:Agreed, my DIgi Cam Satin blade gets a lot of use. I have been meaning to file down the hump at the butt end of the knife as it is not as comfortable as the handle on my Para 2's. I won't make the change to my D2 Para 1 as that was a gift. Even with that minor ergonomic issue it is a really solid work knife.

I for one wish the Para2 maintained the old style millie clip. That would be my ideal para 2
Filed down like this? It makes the handle so comfortable
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

Exactly what I was thinkiny Exceptnl. Hopefully I can get some time to finally do this mod, your pic has inspired me.
Nice work.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

dalefuller wrote:I've said before that the P1 is my fav Spyderco. IMAO it didn't need any upgrades since it was already an 11 on a scale of 1-10. It's still what I choose to carry for general EDC & woods walking stuff when I have no other considerations. My Native 5 gets more actual carry time because of work, but the P1's been there, too.

I do have a perfect P2 with great action, a centered blade, no h/v BP and an early lockup and it's an outstanding knife... one of the best that Spyderco has ever designed. It just ain't quite what it's older brother is. The blade is 1/4" too long, the pivot bushing is unnecessary, I carry RH TD anyway, and I don't use a lanyard. But... I have 3 P1s in hand and I'm always scouting around for more, so I'll always have one handy.
I do actually like the P1 better than the 2 but the steel options on the P2 just make better by a nose.
RLR

Post by RLR »

P1 all the way. Beat it and it asks for more. Modded it internally to perfection. Action, detente, edge geometry, all me... so it's really MY Paramiliary 1.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The pinky ramp never bothered me on this knife, but then i never considered gripping it behind the choil...it clearly wasn't designed with that grip in mind unless you have tiny hands. Going from the 1 to the 2 and back, i like how the 2 feels more snug in my hand, it almost feels like a custom grip, but the choil is smaller and not as comfy as the 2. For me the biggest improvement is the pivot bushing...this is the biggest reason i don't carry my 1 anymore, it's just nowhere near as smooth and pleasing to open and close. I don't mind full liners, but i like how the 1 was mostly just big slabs of thick G10.
~David
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

Will we ever see a
para1 sprint?
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

KardinalSyn wrote:Will we ever see a
para1 sprint?
My guess is yes, someday. If enough interest is put out there and a steel comes along that's special enough, it'll probably happen. Who knows. The 2 was such a big success that it might and it might not. Neither would surprise me.

A 20CP Para 1 would kick *** though :D
~David
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

Got two paras standard and a d2. Wonderful concept, even though I really love the improved para2. That knife is in all aspects hard to beat. I got one so far the 20cp.
Still want the all black one.
Tom
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

Evil D wrote:The pinky ramp never bothered me on this knife, but then i never considered gripping it behind the choil...it clearly wasn't designed with that grip in mind unless you have tiny hands. Going from the 1 to the 2 and back, i like how the 2 feels more snug in my hand, it almost feels like a custom grip, but the choil is smaller and not as comfy as the 2. For me the biggest improvement is the pivot bushing...this is the biggest reason i don't carry my 1 anymore, it's just nowhere near as smooth and pleasing to open and close. I don't mind full liners, but i like how the 1 was mostly just big slabs of thick G10.
I end up with three fingers in front of the pinky hump and the pinky stretched back over it. Not ideal but still relatively comfortable. It is a very good grip with my index in the choil. My D@ Para 1 is acutally smoother than either of Para 2's but this is all relative and I am spoiled by spydies.
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

KardinalSyn wrote:Will we ever see a
para1 sprint?
Doubt it, the Para 2 is a much improved model for the majority. The handle, length, 4 clip options, pricing, steel options and removal of the tang hump have proven to very popular. This is acase where progress is good.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Maybe smooth isn't the word i'm looking for....my Para 2 is tighter...a LOT tighter in the pivot than my Para 2. Once the detent is overcome, the blade opens effortlessly. To get that kind of easy action out of my Para 1, i'd have to deal with a good bit of side to side play, and that's just not an option for me.
~David