If you could only have one spyderco....

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

dbcad wrote:An option such as the only "one" doesn't exist for me. It woud depend on the circumstances. If we were all left with nothing mine would be the Temp2, capable in a variety of tasks :)
Only one is as inconceivable to me as it is to you. What makes it hard to believe how strongly I feel about that is the fact that all my life I only did carry one EDC pocket knife. Most of that time I only owned one so had no choice. That didn't seem strange to me. Now, all of a sudden if I don't have several to choose from "depending on the circumstances" to quote you, I feel knife naked. :(

One reason to stop thinking about this is my answer to "which one" changes about evey time I think about it. Bounces back and forth from Sage 1, Sage 4, GB. That's until I think about it again. :)

Jack
Igi964

Post by Igi964 »

I was thinking about the same two months ago. And my only Spyderco is M390 Paramilitary2. To me is the best EDC folder money can buy :D
Attachments
blue.JPG
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

For me it would be the Stretch 2 in peeply CF and ZDP189.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Djjonny

Post by Djjonny »

Native serrated. All are good but that's my favorite
jeff_C

Post by jeff_C »

Ive never had one of the super high end Spydies.... Im sure if I did it would change my answer... I like them all too!

But, of what I own, if I could only have one, it would by my humble but reliable Delica.

To me the Delica is a GREAT all rounder, and therefore a good answer to the "only one" question.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Djjonny wrote:Native serrated. All are good but that's my favorite
jeff_C wrote:Ive never had one of the super high end Spydies.... Im sure if I did it would change my answer... I like them all too!

But, of what I own, if I could only have one, it would by my humble but reliable Delica.

To me the Delica is a GREAT all rounder, and therefore a good answer to the "only one" question.
I think the Native and Delica are perfect answers because the knives are just plain great EDC knives and also the most realistic choices. Realistic because if anyone actually did get rid of every knife other than just one it would be because of money needs (most of the time). If all you had was a Delica and a Sage 4 and needed money you would have to sell the Sage 4 even if you liked it more. Still, you would have the Delica, a great knife that will serve you as well as the Sage 4 (99 times out of 10 :) ).

Jack
JCP1969

Post by JCP1969 »

My if only one. 440v military. My first Spyderco purchased in Jan 2011. It was on display for over 10+ years and made the same year my son was born 1997.
I believe in safe queens , they do exist!
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

JCP1969 wrote:My if only one. 440v military. My first Spyderco purchased in Jan 2011. It was on display for over 10+ years and made the same year my son was born 1997.
Very nice knife. I like the jimping. Was it originally like that? The Native lightweight has big jimps like that except they are squared off and way too hard on the thumb for me. I rounded the jimps off on my Native and I like the big jimps better than the little ones personally. Do you carry the knife?

Is jimps a word? :confused: :)

Jack
bh49

Post by bh49 »

To choose one knife is hard after you got spoiled having quite a few for your various needs. :(
If I would have to do this most likely I would take black bolstered Persian. Life would be less convenient without Caly3.5, less fan without Kopa, but purely manageable.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
JCP1969

Post by JCP1969 »

jackknifeh wrote:Very nice knife. I like the jimping. Was it originally like that? The Native lightweight has big jimps like that except they are squared off and way too hard on the thumb for me. I rounded the jimps off on my Native and I like the big jimps better than the little ones personally. Do you carry the knife?

Is jimps a word? :confused: :)

Jack
Jack , thanks. The jimping is original to this knife . I know its changed several times but as far as variants I don't have a clue. I have seen threads that identify variants by number of jimps on the military but didn't care to retain the knowledge. I like so many different Spydies its hard to keep up with the revisions. I know just enough to misinform you. No I don't carry it. I will give it to my son someday. I sharpen knives for a living. I don't edc anything but a lighter for cigars.
James
I believe in safe queens , they do exist!
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

JCP1969 wrote:Jack , thanks. The jimping is original to this knife . I know its changed several times but as far as variants I don't have a clue. I have seen threads that identify variants by number of jimps on the military but didn't care to retain the knowledge. I like so many different Spydies its hard to keep up with the revisions. I know just enough to misinform you. No I don't carry it. I will give it to my son someday. I sharpen knives for a living. I don't edc anything but a lighter for cigars.
James

Don't they call that the "dino" jimping?
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Don't they call that the "dino" jimping?
Yep!
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I love my dino jimping. Wish they would bring back more of it.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Well... it'd definitely be one of the ones on the bottom row... :p

[ATTACH]20260[/ATTACH]

I kid, it'd be the one in the middle of the bottom row, the SS Police, I have an unnatural fascination with that model.
Attachments
380391_2898759629411_1273012712_3210941_1574270173_n.jpg
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
- Theodore Roosevelt

"I twisted the knife until I heard his heart-strings sing."

- Jim Bowie concerning Maj. Norris Wright