If you could only have one spyderco....

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
thelonewanderer

If you could only have one spyderco....

Post by thelonewanderer »

Lately, I've done an incredibly massive amount of research on all the models Spyderco has to offer, and I can't help but like most of them. I wanted to ask the connoisseurs if you could only have one perfectly functioning Spyderco with you for the rest of your life, what model would it be, what steel would the blade be, and what material would the handle be made out of?
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

The first knife I owned that I considered my end all be all knife was the Sage 1. It has everything I want in a pocket knife. Size, good blade steel, VERY comfortable to use, sturdy, very attractive and classy enough for any situation. Finally, it's easy to disassemble for cleaning if necessary.

The other two that could be absolute favorites except for one thing, size. The Chaparral is everything the Sage 1 is but just a little too small for the only EDC knife I'd want to own. The other is the Gayle Bradley which is a little too large for my only EDC knife. If I had to put them in order 1) Sage1 2) Gayle Bradley 3) Chaparral.

Click below to see my favorite 3 (plus a Manix2)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]20228[/ATTACH]

Then I got the Sage 4. It has all the attributes of the Sage 1 (it is a Sage after all) with the addition of the sturdier, stronger feel of the Gayle Bradley. Some will consider it a little heavy but I don't mind. In fact if I were to have to pick a favorite weight, light or heavy, I'd rather have the heavier feel than a very light feel. Has nothing to do with performance, just a personal preferance.

Click below to see my Sage 4
[ATTACH=CONFIG]20227[/ATTACH]

So, for me, my desires and needs, the Sage 4 is my favorite knife. My favorites now are the same as before except the Sage 4 takes the number one spot and everything else moves down one.

For me the 4 knives creates a set of really great knives that suite all of my desires in an EDC knife. Now, add the Jester and then even the "little knife" needs are met. I also have a FRN Manbug that I really like and may get the G-10 Manbug one day.

Below is my Jester (with EDC light)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]20226[/ATTACH]

I plan of getting the Chaparral Stealth when possible. I'll have to wait to see if it fits in the above group and where.

I don't like the way to insert pictures. I'm sure I just don't know the slickest, easiest way to do it.

Jack
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Below is a copy of my post in the thread "Favorite Spyderco". First time I've seen two "favorite knife" threads at the same time. :)

The first knife I owned that I considered my end all be all knife was the Sage 1. It has everything I want in a pocket knife. Size, good blade steel, VERY comfortable to use, sturdy, very attractive and classy enough for any situation. Finally, it's easy to disassemble for cleaning if necessary.

The other two that could be absolute favorites except for one thing, size. The Chaparral is everything the Sage 1 is but just a little too small for the only EDC knife I'd want to own. The other is the Gayle Bradley which is a little too large for my only EDC knife. If I had to put them in order 1) Sage1 2) Gayle Bradley 3) Chaparral.

Click below to see my favorite 3 (plus a Manix2)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]20228[/ATTACH]

Then I got the Sage 4. It has all the attributes of the Sage 1 (it is a Sage after all) with the addition of the sturdier, stronger feel of the Gayle Bradley. Some will consider it a little heavy but I don't mind. In fact if I were to have to pick a favorite weight, light or heavy, I'd rather have the heavier feel than a very light feel. Has nothing to do with performance, just a personal preferance.

Click below to see my Sage 4
[ATTACH=CONFIG]20227[/ATTACH]

So, for me, my desires and needs, the Sage 4 is my favorite knife. My favorites now are the same as before except the Sage 4 takes the number one spot and everything else moves down one.

For me the 4 knives creates a set of really great knives that suite all of my desires in an EDC knife. Now, add the Jester and then even the "little knife" needs are met. I also have a FRN Manbug that I really like and may get the G-10 Manbug one day.

Below is my Jester (with EDC light)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]20226[/ATTACH]

I plan of getting the Chaparral Stealth when possible. I'll have to wait to see if it fits in the above group and where.

I don't like the way to insert pictures. I'm sure I just don't know the slickest, easiest way to do it.

Jack
PS edit: I forgot, welcome to the forum. If you are looking to purchase a "favorite" without buying 30-50 knives to find your favorite my "set" is the result of doing just that.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Luckily we all can haz more than one. :D
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

IMHO, that's not the way it works. More of a "horses for courses" as our British friends like to say. A burgundy Micarta Jester is my single most carried folder. The one I use has been on my keyring for nearly nine years. However, in all that time, it has seen relatively little use. As much as I would not want to be without it, I would not want to rely on it as my only knife.

For the past seven years I've carried one version or another of the Stretch as my primary folder far more often than any model. Sal says he designed the Stretch for himself. If that's the case, then he and I must have
almost identical hands, since it fits me like it was custom made for me. But even with it, there are times thin is best and I carry the CF version, times when thick is best and I have to choose between either my STR customized Lignum Vitae or an FRN Stretch, and times when something in between is best or I want something really special in my pocket and I carry the bolstered cocobolo one Sal gave me. Then there are days when the law decides for me, and I have to leave all of them at home because they're a half inch over the legal limit where I'll be going.

When I go "downtown" here, I carry a Chaparral as my "large" folder. I consider it a major stroke of luck for me that the Chaparral came into being shortly before I moved here. It's a fantastic combination of ergonmics, good looks, and built quality and my my choice "best in class" among Spyderco's three inch blades.

Then there's the Kiwi. For me, the Kiwis made in Japan by Moki take the concept of functional jewelery to its heights. It's an excellent little knife, and would probably suffice as my only knife nine days out of ten. during its production life it was also the perfect platform for customization. Elegant looking, outstanding fit and finish, with easily replaceable scales. I haven't been without one in my watch pocket for nine years. I have more than an obscene number of them, and yet still am saddened by the thought that there will be no more.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I am carrying a Paramilitary 2 right now and I might pick it as the one to keep. My second choice would be a Sage 1, recognizing that IMO it is the nicest looking Spyderco and it might be legal in places where the Para2 is not.
BAL

Post by BAL »

Camo Military Black blade.
Glock27

Post by Glock27 »

Waved Endura4. I've carried one since they became available.

G27
"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." - Will Rogers
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Same answer I've provided recently... One of these two:

But favore is slowly shifting from the Bradley to the Caly SB. Tough call though. Glad it's only theoretical.

Ken
玉鋼
bammann45

Post by bammann45 »

Hmm. It would boil down to one of the following:

CF BG42 Milli
Gayle Bradley
VG10 Caly 3

If I *had* to pick, I would say the GB.
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

kbuzbee wrote:Same answer I've provided recently... One of these two:

But favore is slowly shifting from the Bradley to the Caly SB. Tough call though. Glad it's only theoretical.

Ken
Did you force a patina on the Caly 3.5? Your handle looks lighter (cleaner) than mine and the blade darker.

The Caly 3.5 SB has been my almost daily companion over the last 6 months and is definitely one of my favorites.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

PanChango wrote:Did you force a patina on the Caly 3.5? Your handle looks lighter (cleaner) than mine and the blade darker.
Lots of kitchen use with the intent of it darkening. The handle does get dirty easily. Kitchen brush with Comet does a pretty good job.

Cheers,

Ken
玉鋼
iyn

Post by iyn »

Salt 1 plain edge with a delica tip mod. A knife I can carry all the time, light weight rust resistant.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Military, M390 blade, original CF scales or swap into the Ti/G10 set:

Ken44

Post by Ken44 »

Military. I carry my CF BG42 the most.
I love several Spyderco's, but feel no other company offer's a 4oz knife with a FFG 4" blade, and a great large handle design.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

The Deacon wrote:...A burgundy Micarta Jester is my single most carried folder. The one I use has been on my keyring for nearly nine years...
I totally agree with you on the Burgundy Jester, Paul. I have always loved mine too. If memory serves correct, I think I spent about $40.00 for it back "in the day" when they were new. :)

However, if I could only choose one Spyderco (as insanely difficult as that would be), I would still choose my Starmate 60/40 with CPM-440V steel and G-10 handle. That knife can't be beat. :D
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Wildernest Survivor

Post by Wildernest Survivor »

If I could only carry one Spyderco, it would be my S90V Para2. From the blade steel, to the carbon fiber scales, to the compression lock, and finally to the pocket-friendly blade length, this is perhaps the perfect EDC folder. Even if this knife was not available, I would still choose a Para2. :D
"Next time there's a revolution - wake up earlier!"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Vince Aut Morire

JD Spydo

No Question about it>> The C-44 Dyad

Post by JD Spydo »

If I could truly have just one Spyder from here on out the model I would undoubtedly pick would be my all time favorite C-44 big Dyad model. Because with that blade you have the best of both Spyder Worlds and that is a great sheepsfoot Spyderedged blade along with a super streamlined, plain edged clip point blade.

For the life of me I can't understand why we haven't seen that model come back as a Sprint Run if nothing else. And I won't rest one second until we see that dream come to pass. If we could get the C-44 Dyad back in either VG-10 or better yet one of the Super-Steels I would probably buy at least 3 of them.

The only changes I would like to see with that model would be some type of a lanyard hole and a G-10 handle similar to the one on my C-60 Ayoob Sprint model. That's my #1 pick
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I truly can't decide between my

1) CPM M4 ti Military sprint
2) Caly 3.5 Super Blue
3) CF Stretch ZDP
4) S90V P2
5) VG10 FFG Endura

6) O-1 Bushcrafter
7) Mastiffwear mule

I really, honestly can't come up with just 1. I did good getting the list down to 19.

joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

Wildernest Survivor wrote:If I could only carry one Spyderco, it would be my S90V Para2. From the blade steel, to the carbon fiber scales, to the compression lock, and finally to the pocket-friendly blade length, this is perhaps the perfect EDC folder. Even if this knife was not available, I would still choose a Para2. :D
You're lucky. I got bitten after this sprint ended :(
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.