Blade spine finishing

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PSquared

Blade spine finishing

Post by PSquared »

I got a Sage 2 last week and am enjoying it more than many of my new knives in the last while. I don't want to get into a Sage 2 vs Sebenza thread or turn my Sage 2 into a Sebenza clone but there is one detail on the Sebenza that would be really, really nice on the Sage series. The finish on the spine of the Sebenza is exquisite. Those smooth, rounded edges are really fantastic.

From there I wondered how many Spyderco models have smooth edged or rounded spines. Of my 20 something Spydercos, the only one that I can think of off hand is my white Wayne Goddard sprint (in my mind a very under-rated little knife!). Whilst I don't think that finishing detail belongs on a Para 2, I do think the smaller, gentleman type, folders would benefit from a rounded spine .... my Sage 2 really would I think.

Which other Spydercos have rounded spines?

P2
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I'm interested in seeing these responses too. The term IIRC is a "crowned spine" and is such a nice finishing detail on gentlemans knives. My Buck Mayo TNT has this feature and I wish more factory blades had it as well. I hear it is a fairly simple modification to do yourself, but I have not attempted it yet.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
dialex

Post by dialex »

A nice touch indeed, but it's not suitable on each and every knife, as you already pointed out.
I've seen a Military with a crowned spine, but I don't know if it was a sprint run or an aftermarket modification.
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
Donut

Post by Donut »

If Spyderco rounded the spine on the Sage 2, then IMO it wouldn't fit the Sage series plan. They are all supposed to be the same knife and all have a flat/square spine.

I've also seen a few modified Militaries. The only thing close to this that I can recall is that people say the corners on the Brown Para 2 are supposed to have "rounded" corners, but I haven't seen any proof of these rounded corners.

You must be really lucky or really careful with your White Goddard, I've dropped mine so many times and reground the back of the blade that I don't remember what the spine used to look like.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Two schools of though at work here. On the one hand there's esthetics, where some will prefer a rounded spine, some a beveled one, yet others a full width one, and others yet a full width one embellished with filework. The other is ergonomic and, in that regard, for an given blade thickness a full width spine will be more comfortable if you have to press down on it that a rounded or beveled one.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

If you like that look, then just mod it yourself. I did this exact mod to my ZDP stretch...just got out the dremel and some sandpaper.
On the hunt for...
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

PSquared wrote:Of my 20 something Spydercos, the only one that I can think of off hand is my white Wayne Goddard sprint (in my mind a very under-rated little knife!). P2
I'm a big fan of the Goddard series as well, P2. Even the little "Baby Goddard" has a rounded crown on the spine. They are great gentlemans' knives - but the original is a bit large for carrying with a suit and tie! :cool:

TedP
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Don't forget there are those who might use the spine of their knife on a fire starter, where you're gonna need a nice sharp edge on the spine. Another thing to consider is that, although the polished spine might look nice, it would no doubt add to the final price of the knife. We already see two variations in this, if you compare a Delica spine to a Sage spine you'll see what i mean, and the price of those two reflects the difference. In the more expensive knives you get the brushed spine, whereas on the lower price models you get the plain cut finish.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

I posted a thread once *****ing about my blue sprint manixes spine looking like a mangy cat, with patches of sandblast here and there. I think the consensus is that the little details that matter to me are all earmarks of a custom, and i have wandered in that direction.
That said, there is an way to take advantage of a raw look, if you allow it to be what it is and dont try to hide it, kind of like how the unfinished upper blade portions of a kanetsune knife looks. Own the raw, or polish it properly, nothing smacks of lack of conviction like half finished blades. Price be damned.
"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

evil d wrote:don't forget there are those who might use the spine of their knife as a bottle opener
;)
ChrisM

Post by ChrisM »

Funny you mentioned the Sage 2. My normal every day carry is a large lefty Sebenza. I knew I had an easy service call day at work on Friday so I just clipped my Sage 2 to my pocket and headed out to work, no leatherman or any other tools I usually carry.
The service call was a complaint about silicone smeared and dried in a pivoting door I installed a week or two ago. Easy fix, just scrape it off. The assembly was metal and round. The spine of the Sage 2 made very easy work of this where the rounded spine of my Sebenza would just look pretty while I thrashed the edge.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

You guys should feel the spine on this Vollotton i just bought. It's finished beautifully with a nice brushed finish, but the edges are the sharpest i've ever felt (same with the edges of the thumb hole). They're sharp enough i bet you could cut someone on them if you tried. It really doesn't bother me, i don't see it as a good or bad thing, it just is what it is.
~David
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Evil D wrote:You guys should feel the spine on this Vollotton i just bought. It's finished beautifully with a nice brushed finish, but the edges are the sharpest i've ever felt (same with the edges of the thumb hole). They're sharp enough i bet you could cut someone on them if you tried. It really doesn't bother me, i don't see it as a good or bad thing, it just is what it is.
The spine of pretty much every Spyderco I own that has a full width spine has a nice even brushed finish and crisp edges, although not as sharp as your Vallotton. Some have what I would describe as a coarser brushed finish than others, but I've yet to get one that was mangy or patchy looking.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Deacon wrote:The spine of pretty much every Spyderco I own that has a full width spine has a nice even brushed finish and crisp edges, although not as sharp as your Vallotton. Some have what I would describe as a coarser brushed finish than others, but I've yet to get one that was mangy or patchy looking.
Me either, though i must say the spine of my Delica(s) is nowhere near as nice as the brushed spines mentioned. I guess what's left on that spine is a laser cut finish..i'm not sure, but it still doesn't look BAD, just not as good as the brushed spines.
~David
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

I don't want a rounded spine, a square (doesn't have to be sharp) spine can be used as a scraper in many instances you don't want use a sharp edge for it.

Plus it saves labor and make things cheaper.
FroOchie

Post by FroOchie »

Donut wrote:The only thing close to this that I can recall is that people say the corners on the Brown Para 2 are supposed to have "rounded" corners, but I haven't seen any proof of these rounded corners.
My brown Para 2 has the same spine as my other Para 2's.
...I have no knives I keep in a safe but there are one or two that don't leave the house...
00max00

Post by 00max00 »

Spydercos have rounded spines? Hossom Forager comes immediately to mind, nicely polished blade finish, even with a curvy convex edge. Not sure why was it discontinued.
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

00max00 wrote:Spydercos have rounded spines? Hossom Forager comes immediately to mind, nicely polished blade finish, even with a curvy convex edge. Not sure why was it discontinued.
Getting too expensive withe the declining of dollar vs. rising euro.
SpinDoctor

Post by SpinDoctor »

With my limited experience of 5 Spyderco models, I think the edges of the Sage 2 are by far the sharpest of any of the others. I don't think this is a good thing as it gives the feeling of poor finishing which translates to cheap. A few minutes with some sandpaper remedied this for me, but if you weren't crazy about the knife as it is, I could see people rejecting this model because of the sharp edges..

The Para 2 on the other hand is the exact opposite. Still a square edge, but dulled to the point where the edge is not as noticeable. Very comfortable. Where the Sage2 would shred my thumb nail each time I opened by flicking, the Para2 doesn't even leave a mark.
Minds will wonder to wondrous places.