LookIng for a good knife shop in maryland

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
410ericb

LookIng for a good knife shop in maryland

Post by 410ericb »

I live in Annapolis and can't find a decent knife shop anywhere! Bass pro dosent sell spyderco and I haven't seen them anywhere. I would like to get some of these knives In my hand before I buy them. I would love any suggestions. The ones I've bought have all been after a ton of YouTube videos and I would like to just make my own opinion.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Knife Center is in College Park MD
MachSchnell

Post by MachSchnell »

Ankerson wrote:Knife Center is in College Park MD
Are they a distribution warehouse or a brick and mortar store?

A place in Frederick called Edgeworks carries Spyderco, but I have yet to check their shop out.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Sorry I can't help with a knife store selection in MA but I have noticed something unexpected, to me anyway. I wish I had a good knife store to go to but I don't. The best selection of knives I have is Wal Mart. That's sad but the first time I looked at them I was surprised at the selection. Several CRKT and Gerber knives. I was only expecting traditional pocket knives like the ones I grew up with, Case with 1 - 3 small blades and things like that. So, it's sad that Wal Mart is my best choice as far as stores go but it's good that they seem to be expanding their selection to somewhat more expensive knives. I seem to remember hearing that Wal Mart used to carry the Native series. So, in case you haven't checked the sporting goods dept. at your local Wal Mart(s) you might want to next time you are in there. No Spydercos or anything over $100 but you may find something better than a $20 knife.

Jack
JCP1969

Post by JCP1969 »

410 , if you ever head to the Maryland or Delaware beaches you could go to Willey Knives in Greenwood, Delaware .They are an authorized Spyderco dealer and have quite of few Spydies. I have found some real gems there.

james
I believe in safe queens , they do exist!
410ericb

Post by 410ericb »

Jack- sadly we don't have much to choose from there either. Vet much a yuppy area and not a lot of hunting fishing or sporting good sections here. If I get out of this area I will def check it out. The Only thing is I'm a bit of a spyderco deva right now and only want to grab them right now.lol

James- I will try them out for sure when we take our. Aviation to oc/rehobith Beach for sure. See now I want to grab the kids from school and leave for the beach! Thanks guys
410ericb

Post by 410ericb »

Dang phone vacation not aviation
CubistHamster

Post by CubistHamster »

There's a shop in downtown Frederick called Edgeworks that's decent. Prices are 20-30% higher than online (which is pretty normal for B & M stores) but they've got a pretty good selection. The guys who work there will quite happily talk about knives all day, so it's fun to visit even if you're not buying.
410ericb

Post by 410ericb »

That's what I'm looking for. I am will Ing to pay to keep local business open. They have overhead that an online store normally dosent and I can't get the treatment you get from a neighborhood store. Fred neck isn't to far at all.
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

CubistHamster wrote:There's a shop in downtown Frederick called Edgeworks that's decent. Prices are 20-30% higher than online (which is pretty normal for B & M stores) but they've got a pretty good selection. The guys who work there will quite happily talk about knives all day, so it's fun to visit even if you're not buying.
Thanks for the tip, I live just south of there in Arlington, Va., and get up there once in a while. I'll have to check it out.

Tod
Gomer: Goober says 'Hey!'
Andy: Hey to Goober.
Ed Schempp

Post by Ed Schempp »

Try Willey Knives in Greenwood De. Gerald, Geraldine, and Gerry Willey have quite a selection and are extremely nice people....Take Care...Ed
shrpshn

Post by shrpshn »

Don't overlook the Gun/knife shows in the MD/DC area.

There are usually one or two quality knife dealers at these shows that carry Spyderco.
John
SharpShin' Blades
Affordable Knives & Air Guns
m@s

Post by m@s »

Definitely check out the KnifeCenter which is located in College Park, MD. They are an internet retailer but if you contact them in advance and set up an appointment, you are welcome to pay them a visit.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

m@s wrote:Definitely check out the KnifeCenter which is located in College Park, MD. They are an internet retailer but if you contact them in advance and set up an appointment, you are welcome to pay them a visit.
+1... I've been meaning to do this for a while as well. I live just around the beltway in Fairfax County VA, and would really like to meet those folks sometime. Great operation they have...

TedP
Infinite Zero

Post by Infinite Zero »

I live by Dulles Airport and EdgeWorks is my regular knife shop. They have a good selection and are very knowledgable. Best days to go are Friday and Saturday, as they close at 6 all other days.
mdgspmer

Knife store

Post by mdgspmer »

*Edited*
410ericb

Post by 410ericb »

I will go by there for sure. My grand parents live there. I'm happy with knife center in college park but they make me feel a little out of place when I'm in there.
jackthedog

Post by jackthedog »

Edgeworks is great. I was there two weekends ago and had a great time looking around.

Also, it has a much smaller inventory and it's full MSRP but Casual Adventure in Arlington off Washing Blvd. usually carries Spyderco. Fun store if nothing else.
410ericb

Post by 410ericb »

Ok not sure but I guess the address was a no no so could you message me that place again? Never wrote it down...
MachSchnell

Post by MachSchnell »

Made it to Edgeworks today because I happened to be nearby. Owner is friendly and knowledgeable and I was able to snag a SE Aqua Salt and a Yo2, both at very reasonable prices. He still may have a few Yo2's left if anyone is looking. First time I've been to a dealer where you can hold/fondle before you buy... I must admit that the Yo2 was an impusle buy :p as mere pictures didn't drive much interest, but being able to hold it changed my mind.

Two thumbs up for Edgeworks, and I Plan on doing future business with them!