Ergonomic correlations

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
casey1

Ergonomic correlations

Post by casey1 »

I was wondering if there were certain correlations between those who liked certain knives. For example: would those who like the Sage be more likely to like the manix 2 over the para 2? Are those who like the caly3 over the Native more likely to favor certain knives? Not dealing with handle materials and locks here - just ergonomics. If we could find out what correlations existed, it'd help owners who didn't have access to a dealer pick out their knives. Just a thought. For example, the lines on the sage and the manix are very similar. I would think there would be a correlation there. I would also think the military and civilian would be similar. The Navaja and Big Persian too. Some may seem obvious, but I think it may be theoretically helpful.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Hhhmmm interesting thought. I like the para 2 and I like the caly 3.5. Manix 2 is not for me.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I love the M2 and the original Manix...but I am not a fan of hte Sage series at all. I like the calys, but I like the Vallotton and the GB more.
On the hunt for...
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I think each model stands on its own, and is different enough that finding reliable correlations might not be so easy. For example, the Navaja and large Persian look similar, but I find their ergonomics quite different. It's all very subjective.
:bug-red-white
BAL

Post by BAL »

Interesting thoughts. I think that other factors makes a huge difference though. Some prefer
certain handles more or steels. The general LOOK of the knife has more to do with it than
anything, I believe. Sometimes, I may try to pick out a new knife that is totally different
from what I have, just for a change of pace.

I woould love to have every Military style made, but I pick other knives because there are
so many great ones out there, that I like to mix it up. Using this theory, I got a Massad
Ayoob last year and it is one of my favorite knives now.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

casey1 wrote:I was wondering if there were certain correlations between those who liked certain knives. For example: would those who like the Sage be more likely to like the manix 2 over the para 2? Are those who like the caly3 over the Native more likely to favor certain knives? Not dealing with handle materials and locks here - just ergonomics. If we could find out what correlations existed, it'd help owners who didn't have access to a dealer pick out their knives. Just a thought. For example, the lines on the sage and the manix are very similar. I would think there would be a correlation there. I would also think the military and civilian would be similar. The Navaja and Big Persian too. Some may seem obvious, but I think it may be theoretically helpful.
I think this is a good method of getting a new "user" knife after you have had experience with many different knives ergonomically. I like the feel of the Manix2 and the Sage knives more than the Gayle Bradley. Now that I have used a Manix2, Sage and Gayle Bradley I know that. But one reason I didn't get a GB for so long was the handle shape didn't look as comfortable as those with choils. But when I did get a GB I loved the feel. Not as much but now I know how that shape feels so now I have experience on choosing a knife without deeper choils. But knowing I like choils better may have kept me from getting a knife I love (GB) shows this is a "part" of the decision criteria. So, I think your thoughts are good ones as part of the decision process (about 20%). Then comes the other factors thay may override the fact thay you like choils more or not when deciding between two knives.

Jack
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

gbelleh wrote:I think each model stands on its own, and is different enough that finding reliable correlations might not be so easy. For example, the Navaja and large Persian look similar, but I find their ergonomics quite different. It's all very subjective.
I tend to agree with what "gbelleh" just said about it. Because there are some models that are very close in size, scope, geometry and ergonomics that I have passed up on.

For instance my current EDC now is the Sprint Run, G-10 handled Massad Ayoob model. There are several Spyders that are close to the same in size and geometry but there is currently no equal in ergonomics at all that I can see on the line up. Also I'm a huge fan of the C-111 Captain model and there is no model at all that I can see currently or in the past that comes anywhere close to having the same style or format as the Captain model does. Albeit I will admit that because I do like Jason Breeden's overall style I'll probably end up getting his Rescue model sometime in the near future but I still don't even see that other model of Mr. Breeden's to have any similiarities to the Captain.

Now there is one aspect that I do think drives me to get other variations of a certain model. I love the C-60 model so much that I would for certain get it in Spyderedge if it is ever offered down the road. But that is more based on the performance of that particular blade geometry more than it is the total ergonomics of the folder.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
rnbtexas

Post by rnbtexas »

If you take the thought that Casey1 had and in the scope of the targeted audience, it is a valid thought. If you look at some of the favorites that people are quoting here they are some of the more expensive or hard to get models. Once you have been able to handel and own a few different styles of spydies you would naturally start to explore a few different models.

Take the original thought: Manix2 - Native4 - even DragonFly2. These are ergonomically simular knives. If you were in a country where you couldn't touch and feel different models it would be a good place to start. "If I have the Native 4, and I'm mainly worried about the feel in my hand, then the Manix2 or DragonFly2 might be good places to start looking."

I agree with you have to try other models. I picked up a 1st gen Endura the other day. When I was looking at new Enduras next to the other new knives in the case in Golden I didn't really like the Endura. Since I have started carrying the Gen 1 Endura, I have found out how much I like it. It actually carries in the pocket better than the Manix2. Its smaller and I really like the Manix2.

If you break it down to the very newbie buyer without access to knives for touch and feel testing I like the thought process.

OK that is my 2 cents. I know that there are too many criteria to actually put into a check list when buying knives.
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

I think it's different strokes for different folks. :D

There are certain factors which are consistent like our hand sizes, physical builds and our liking for knives. However it will not be easy to gauge our personal likes and dislikes which may have come about due to different reasons. These thought patterns also play a huge part on what knife we select.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
Mud Shrimp Moe

Post by Mud Shrimp Moe »

I agree with Jack that whether one prefers choils or not is one of several issues of personal preference likely to lead to correlation.

If you like choils, then the odds of you liking both the Manix 2, the Sage, the Para 2, etc, is pretty high. Also if you're left handed, the odds of you not liking all the right handed liner lock models is pretty high. So I imagine there is a lot of correlation in preferences that boils down to a few relatively straight forward reasons.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I normally think that since I favor 2 or 3 models, that if someone who likes one of the models I like... they might like one of the other models I like. That seems to be the opposite of true.

I think it is because the shape of my hand or my expectations are different than someone else's.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!