Do you think the lock for the Paramilitary should be swapped?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Should the lock for the Paramilitary be swapped?

Yes.
10%
No.
81%
Meh.
8%

Total votes: 86

Donut

Do you think the lock for the Paramilitary should be swapped?

Post by Donut »

I typically use my Para with my right hand. I have two options for unlocking it, either:

A. Pinch the lock with my thumb and forefinger. (The side the lock is on doesn't matter for this option.)

B. Take my thumb, shift it to the opposite side of the knife, push on the release, then bring my thumb back to the side it was on and press to flip the knife over to close it.

Wouldn't option B be a lot easier if I didn't have to reach over the knife to get to the release, then back to the original side to flip it over so I can close the blade?
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I think that the lock is a bit backwards. So yes, I vote switch it.
On the hunt for...
michaelm466

Post by michaelm466 »

I can't really picture how you're closing it, but I just pinch the tab with my forefinger and the opposite scale with my thumb and either let the blade fall close or give it a little flick to close it, I can open it the same way or use the spyderhole.

Edit:
I tried flipping it upside down and using my thumb for the tab instead, its still pretty easy, but IMO a little more awkward than with forefinger, which is how it would be if they put it on the other side.
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

I've got mine loose enough that the blade drops at least halfway closed when I release the lock; I just have to remember to get my fingers out of the way. If I want to have more control for a RH closing, though, I hold it upside down, press the lock tab in with my middle finger, support the handle on the other side with the side of my thumb, and use my index finger to push the blade closed. Same thing works for LH, but you're pressing the tab with the thumb and holding the other side of the handle with the side of the middle finger.

I will say that I'm actually left-handed, but I don't know that it matters as I usually just let the blade drop closed after pinching between my thumb and other fingers - which as you pointed out is ambidextrous anyway.

So... I vote keep it.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Yea but it would be harder to pinch the lock with your index finger (and flick) which is a way many close the compression lock.

The Gunting was the one example of a left-side Compression lock and being that it was the only one I have to think there was a reason. My brother had a Gunting actually and didn't buy any compression locks for years because it pinched him a couple times really bad.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:I think that the lock is a bit backwards. So yes, I vote switch it.
Left handed people don't get a vote. :)

I thought it was a really easy lock to release.

Jack
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

I really don't mind the lock on it right now. But I wouldn't mind one bit if they did a Ti-frame lock model in a sprint or variant like they did with the Millie.
Art_vandeley

Post by Art_vandeley »

No, its perfect as it is.
computernut

Post by computernut »

I thought it was backwards at first but I find it works well the way it is because you get your thumb on the G10 while your index finger pinches in the tab. If you try it with your left hand and pinch with your thumb you don't have as secure a grip on the handle with your index finger.
nightburn

Post by nightburn »

We can essentially test what you're suggesting by operating the lock with our left hand. I'm fairly dexterous with my left hand and for me, option B is considerably more difficult left handed. I think it's because I end up gripping so much less of the knife.

So I voted no, no way, not even a little bit. I love the lock as is. However, I'm not against a left handed variation.
:spyder: Kiwi 4, Jester, Ladybug, Southard, Junior, Southfork, Chaparral, SpyderSaw, CF S90V PM2, Dfly G-10, PM1 :spyder:
webmaster | sharpthings.net
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I voted NO, but I'm left-handed. :p With the lock as-is (on my Superleaf, as well), my method of closure couldn't be easier. I move my forefinger to the Spydie hole, press the lock against the scale with my thumb, then work the blade home with my forefinger.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I tried to type this out but it didn't make sense so i took pics. Basically, don't just pinch and close with two fingers, use your whole hand.

Don't do this:

Doing this ^^^ you only have two fingers on the knife, and you have to exert even more pressure on the lock because half the effort is from holding the knife.
Do this:

Doing this ^^^ you have 4 other fingers holding the knife, allowing your index finger to move freely. This is much easier.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
nirvanero

Post by nirvanero »

computernut wrote:I thought it was backwards at first but I find it works well the way it is because you get your thumb on the G10 while your index finger pinches in the tab. If you try it with your left hand and pinch with your thumb you don't have as secure a grip on the handle with your index finger.
+1
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Yes!
I often open my Para with your "thumb" method. Except I shake the blade down in the same motion, the choil hits my index finger, then close with my thumb. Lots of motion there, but I love the compression lock. I think it could work.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

Lock is perfect how it is
maa14

Post by maa14 »

Popsickle wrote:Lock is perfect how it is
This is correct
:spyder:'s =FFG ZDP-189 Delica...Manix2...saber grind VG10 Delica...bug...Blue M390 Paramilitary 2...SE hawkbill Ladybug salt...sharpmaker with UF stones.orange and red baliyo...
Latest purchase=Gayle Bradley
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Whether or not it's perfect (IMO there is no perfect lock, though the comp lock comes close), a Paramilitary without a comp lock would be...something else....but not a Para. :(
C.L.L 97

Post by C.L.L 97 »

ABSOLUTELY NOT.

The only thing I would change, would be to make the cutout in the g10 a little bigger to get ahold of easier.
Caden's :spyder:'s-g10 dragonfly, digicamo para2,bug,honeybee,sharpmaker.
Newest :spyder: manix 2 lightweight.
:spyder: top wishlist: junior,D4,E4,,h1 D'fly salt,h1 ladybug salt,g10 manbug,caly3•3.5,all sprint para2's
Have to have= brad southard flipper, gayle bradley:spyder:

"combat knife is actually 10% weapon and 90% tool".~ Al Mar
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Popsickle wrote:Lock is perfect how it is
I humbly agree. :D
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

C.L.L 97 wrote:ABSOLUTELY NOT.

The only thing I would change, would be to make the cutout in the g10 a little bigger to get ahold of easier.
The only problem with that is you'll start to expose the bottom point of the choil on the blade. I don't think it would really improve access since you'd just start pressing on the blade itself if you went down any further.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David