Do you think the lock for the Paramilitary should be swapped?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Should the lock for the Paramilitary be swapped?

Yes.
10%
No.
81%
Meh.
8%

Total votes: 86

computernut

Post by computernut »

C.L.L 97 wrote: The only thing I would change, would be to make the cutout in the g10 a little bigger to get ahold of easier.
The cut-out is an ok size but a little bit more room on the tab would be nice, if you stick your finger in too far the choil hits your finger as it closes and the blade bounces back out.
SpydieFan

Post by SpydieFan »

Nope. I just press with my thumb, and the blade closes 1/2 way... easy to close after that.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:spyder:|Spyderco Bug|Spyderco Kiwi3|Spyderco H1 Salt|Spyderco Para Military 2 Black Blade DigiCam + STR Pocket Clip| :spyder:

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I like to close mine slowly and deliberately. In years past when I did the flipping thing I managed to not get all of the skin out of the way one time.

I wouldn't mind having a linerlock on the knife, but I get by OK with the current lock. I asked a few times prior to getting my knife and couldn't get a good explanation of how to close the knife, most people seem to flip it closed or use gravity. When I got mine I discovered that I could close it in reasonably similar fashion to how I operate a liner lock.

I hold it in the palm of my hand, sharp edge pointing up. I push the lock with my second finger and push up on the blade with my first finger.

c.joe

Post by c.joe »

I close it like a lock back. Use the thumb to disengage it and let it fall on your index. (choil protects your finger) It's too perfect.
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

Each to their own, but I cant see how a right handed person has any trouble / discomfort closing a para2, having never seen a comp lock before and having no knowledge of its workings, felt like the most natural thing ever in hand. I flick the knife closed all the time and after some practice you learn how to release the tab at the right moment to catch the blade and close it in one fluid movement.

The current set up is ideal IMO, you keep 3 fingers on the RH side of the knife, while your thumb is on the LH side, keeping a firm grip, leaving your index finger free to operate the tab. If I were to swap the lock (or close it like a lefty) you have 4 fingers on one side, and nothing to grip the opposite side as your thumb must leave the scale to operate the tab. So I would say spyderco have nailed it, don't change a thing.
I see, said the blind man.
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

I said no.

The Para2 is unique due to its existing construction. The pillar construction, compression lock and the way that everything falls so well in place is actually great for a knife this size.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
BAL

Post by BAL »

The lock for the Para Military along with the swing open blade
is the best in the lineup, I wish that every other knife came with
the exact same setup.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I love the lock, let's leave it as is.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Sht

Post by Sht »

If you were to unlock it with your thumb you lose your only finger on that side of the handle. 4 vs 0 or 3 vs 1
Gayle Bradley
Bob lum tanto sprint
Milie camo
Para2 camo
Manix2 moonglow
Tasman salt
Tenacious (the whole lineup)
Kiwi SS

Knives at all times
Donut

Post by Donut »

It looks like there are a few different ways to unlock this thing. I have the day off of work, so I'm going to try to take pictures of all the different ways to unlock to get a visual documentation.

Some very good points, I hadn't thought about the zero support on one side.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

Personally on the stock model, I think its absolutely perfect! dont change a thing! however, I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see a sprint run incorporate a frame lock like the M4 mili, oh god would i love that. With some M4 too please!!!
C.L.L 97

Post by C.L.L 97 »

Evil D wrote:The only problem with that is you'll start to expose the bottom point of the choil on the blade. I don't think it would really improve access since you'd just start pressing on the blade itself if you went down any further.
Yeah, that's true, instead of making the cutout bigger, maybe adding some jimping on the lock-tab would help??
Caden's :spyder:'s-g10 dragonfly, digicamo para2,bug,honeybee,sharpmaker.
Newest :spyder: manix 2 lightweight.
:spyder: top wishlist: junior,D4,E4,,h1 D'fly salt,h1 ladybug salt,g10 manbug,caly3•3.5,all sprint para2's
Have to have= brad southard flipper, gayle bradley:spyder:

"combat knife is actually 10% weapon and 90% tool".~ Al Mar
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

C.L.L 97 wrote:Yeah, that's true, instead of making the cutout bigger, maybe adding some jimping on the lock-tab would help??
I've thought about adding a little piece of skateboard tape but never tried it. That should give you plenty of traction.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Echo63

Post by Echo63 »

Personally I think the "normal" compression lock is backwards - but I'm a lefty, I love the Gunting Compression lock

I would love to see a lefty sprint run of the paramillie (although getting one into Australia might be a challenge)
power is nothing without control
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

If it isn't broke don't fix it.

I say leave it alone, I love it how it is.
Current :spyder: : Para2's Brown, Blue & Orange, Etched Spin, CF Caly3 ZDP189, Gayle Bradley, UKPK Orange G10, Manix2 M4, Sage 1, Caly 3.5 in Super Blue, Urban Orange G10
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

They could probably justify a left-hand sprint. That is, if they could make enough for the right handed folks. :(