Sigh. First problem with a Spyderco thus far (Rock Lobster).

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
divB0

Sigh. First problem with a Spyderco thus far (Rock Lobster).

Post by divB0 »

Recently got a rock lobster and took it apart thinking of doing some custom scales. Found two washers on the non-lock side. I don't think I've ever seen this before so I'm assuming that's a mistake. Also, one of the posts is higher than the others so it can't tighten when assembled. This is my 10th Spydie and definitely not my last (Brad Southard flipper looks sick!) but it's sad to see these mistakes made by my favorite brand.

pics here: http://imgur.com/a/0rbBV
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Welcome to the forums! I personally don't disassemble my knives personally because it messes with the warranty.

Perhaps others can comment but I wouldn't assume it was a mistake unless I had others to reference or the knife was not operating as expected.

Please take no offense; it's just a personal opinion about speculating without knowing enough the design/process to be sure. Often (for me) it ends up embarrassing, lol.
angusW

Post by angusW »

This isn't too uncommon to have 2 washers on one side and only one washer on the other, or two washers on both sides. Not sure if this is done at the factory to reduce side to side play due to that particular piece of steel being a bit thinner or maybe two washers stuck together during the construction phase and it got by QC. Have you tried it with just one washer a side and if so any blade play?
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
divB0

Post by divB0 »

I tried that, yeah. No blade play. I'm guessing two just got stuck together during assembly.
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear about your issue. Hope that you get a solution on that. The rock Lobster is a tad beyond my reach due to the price and as it is now a discontinued model, doubt I will get one. What I am trying to say is that if you can, try to hang on to it.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
Sithus1966

Post by Sithus1966 »

I agree on not a mistake. My Persistence came with 3 on one side as did someone else's I read about before I got mine. Defiantly not a mistake.

I love the Rock Lobster, jumped on them when they showed up at Sierra Trading post and got 2 of them.
C05, C05S, C10SRD, C10SBK(x2), C10FPBR, C10GRE, C10FPGR, C11, C11FPBK, C12SBK2, C14 C17 C21, C28BK, C28BK2, C28YL2, C36, C45, C54GPBN, C77, C80GPOR, C81, C81GS, C81GBK2, C85GP2, C86, C86P, C86PET, C90, C94, C95, C106, C109, C116, C122, C123CF, C123, C123GBL, C126(x2), C132GP, C135GP, C136, C137, C138, C140, C142, C146CFP, C148, C158TIP, C161GP, C162, C163PBK, C164GPBN, LBK, LBKII(x2), LYL3HB, LGRE3, MBK, FB20, FB23, FB24SBK, FB31SBK, FBPBK, MT12, MT13, MT16, Woodcraft.
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

Free washer? Whats the problem lol?
I see, said the blind man.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Some Walker and Reeve Integral lock knives use an extra, or single thicker, washer on the lock side to allow clearance for the detent ball when the knife is being closed. As for the post issue, was it present before you took the knife apart?
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
divB0

Post by divB0 »

Interesting. Guess it just seemed weird to me so I assumed it was a mistake. However, you said the extras are usually on the lock side? Mine is on the non-lock side so wouldn't that make it push more on the detent ball? Maybe I'll switch the extra to the other side and see how it feels. As far as the post being too long, I didn't notice before taking it apart, but since the whole post is physically longer than the others I'm going to assume the problem was there before I took it apart.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Just speculating (ugh) but they could be varied similar to shimming. I'm sure they would rather have a more consistent system but if it works it works. :)
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I believe that each individual knife gets some hand-fitting, so if it worked and looked right while assembled, I would say it was purposeful - but I don't know for certain what standards may be found on the rock lobster.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
lincoln

Post by lincoln »

defenestrate wrote:I believe that each individual knife gets some hand-fitting, so if it worked and looked right while assembled, I would say it was purposeful - but I don't know for certain what standards may be found on the rock lobster.
I Recently purchased a rock lobster and found the same thing. 2 washers on one side and one on the other. I guess it's commen with them. I absolutely love it as an EDC by the way. I use it for work (electrician).
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

defenestrate wrote:I believe that each individual knife gets some hand-fitting, so if it worked and looked right while assembled, I would say it was purposeful - but I don't know for certain what standards may be found on the rock lobster.
+1

I am sure I have heard Sal say that knives are often hand finished so I think the long pillar and washers will have been allowed for in the finishing process. If you change them then you risk tiny alignment problems, which is one reason why Spyderco don't approve of customers taking the knives apart - because when they put them back together *slightly* differently, they can induce tiny problems that seem unlinked to the disassembly, years down the line. ;)
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)