Is there an excellent Spyderco knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
lamorak

Is there an excellent Spyderco knife?

Post by lamorak »

Howdy folks,

I've just received today Spyderco number 50 in my collection, and decided to look over all of them. And I got surprised: none would make it in my top 10 of knives.

It seems that spydies are some of my most used and greatest knives, but if I want to show a friend an excellent knife they do not make the cut. I'll probably show a few for the novelty or the practical factor; and when I give buying advice, it's probably the second brand I'm recommending; but there is something missing. If I would use a car analogy, Spyderco would be akin Nissan GT-R, or a Chevrolet Corvette, when I'm looking at a Porsche 911, or a Ferrari 458.

Has someone else a similar feeling? Should I take a look at after-market mods?

Cheers.

PS:
For reference, my current top 10:
Benchmade: 32 Mini-Morpho, 470 Emissary, 930 Kulgera, 8600 Auto Beldam; Chris Reeve: Small Sebenza 21; Lone Wolf: Diablo Cocobolo, Longhorn Elbano; Microtech: Ultratech; Strider: SnG CC; Victorinox Cadet blue alox.

Spydies that are getting close:
Caly 3 CF/ZDP-189, Persian Red.

Spydies that I hope will make it in the top 10 when I get them:
Military fluted titanium, Techno.
:spyder: count: 50, first: Atlantic Salt, latest: Dodo, edc: Urban, waiting for: Techno
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I guess I would have a different opinion. I don't really have a "top ten" list of general knives.

I do, however, have a list of knives that I like using for specific tasks/functions. My favorite small pocket knife for EDC is the ZDP-189 DragonFly2. My favorite folding camping knife is one of my Paramilitary 2s. My favorite kitchen knife is my ProCulinaire Santoku. My favorite yard-work knife is my M4 Mule with canvas micarta grips. The list goes on and on...

TedP
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

What answer are you looking for on the forum for the manufacturer? That's like going to a Rolling Stones concert and telling all of those around you that The Stones would not make your list of top 10 rock bands of all time.

Many of us, self included, feel that Spyderco makes many excellent knives. It depends on your preference and taste. Spyderco offers a great knife at an unbeatable price point, in my opinion.

The way you have presented this topic, don't be surprised if you get flamed a few times in follow up posts. If I were a Spyderco employee, I would take a lot of self control not to be offended by your question of "Is there an excellent Spyderco knife?".
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

If you're going to include custom knives in the mix, then I'd probably say Spyderco would have a hard time competing at that level. I'd much rather have a Southard custom than the Spyderco Southard folder, and I'd also rather have a Sacha Thiel custom than the Spyderco PPT or an Ed Schempp custom Damascus Persian instead of a Spyderco Persian. But the world I live in isn't overflowing with money, so while I dream of these high end customs, I'm satisfied with the Nissan GT-R's and ZL1 Corvettes of the world and buy Spyderco (I don't consider it an insult to compare Spyderco to these high-end cars at semi-affordable prices).

Maybe something was lost in the translation when you posed your question, but I think that Spyderco makes tons of excellent knives. Are there some that are better? Certainly. Are you going to pay dearly for that little extra bit of excellence? Most definitely! But that doesn't mean that Spyderco isn't producing excellent products.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well, to each his own, but i'm shocked that you rate any Victorinox over a Caly 3 CF/ZDP. That's about as Ferrari as it gets...carbon fiber, laminate exotic super steel...what more is there???

In my book a SAK rates on the car scale about as high as a Jeep Wrangler...it's slow, sucks on gas, rough around every edge, but it's 4WD and will get you where you're going with at least a little bit of style. You won't see any A list people pulling up to the red carpet in one though.

Sounds to me your vision of "excellence" is taste driven as opposed to looking at the materials/fit and finish and craftsmanship used.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Everybody's taste is different. Out of your top ten I would consider buying may be only Longhorn Elbano. If you like Red Persian, may be you need to check the original Black. IMHO appearance wise it is much better. Did you have a chance to see Shabaria? Starmate? Kopas? Phoenix? Just wondering.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

The quote by Sal about Ferrari's & tractors seems to apply here.
I searched but could not find it.
Could someone please post it ?
lamorak, I would like to see a list of your Spydies that you own to help see what knives we are comparing to your top ten.
O.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Your top 10 seems to be based largely on looks.

Your top users are skewed by their looks as well. I have both of those, both are some good looking knives, but I would not choose either to be my best user.

If you are going to choose knives based on their looks, why would you put a SNG or a Sebenza on that list?

Unless of course you are allowing the price to affect your decision.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Donut wrote:Your top 10 seems to be based largely on looks.

Your top users are skewed by their looks as well. I have both of those, both are some good looking knives, but I would not choose either to be my best user.

If you are going to choose knives based on their looks, why would you put a SNG or a Sebenza on that list?

Unless of course you are allowing the price to affect your decision.

Because, it's $500 so it HAS to be the best right? :rolleyes:
~David
JD Spydo

There is treasure in Spyderland I can assure you

Post by JD Spydo »

Not to be argumentative but I dare to say that I bet you don't have 2 Sprint Runs I think that should make everyone's top 10>> i.e. The G-10 handled Massad Ayoob C-60 model and the Sprint Bob Lum Tanto folder C-46 model.

In the fixed blade category everytime I look at the Temperance 2 model I see design perfection IMO.

Albeit we don't all see beauty in the same vein but there are Spyders that should be in anyone's top 10>> More the reason to bring back the C-44 Dyad and a super deluxe version of the C-54 Calypso.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Donut

Post by Donut »

JD Spydo wrote:Not to be argumentative but I dare to say that I bet you don't have 2 Sprint Runs I think that should make everyone's top 10>> i.e. The G-10 handled Massad Ayoob C-60 model and the Sprint Bob Lum Tanto folder C-46 model.

In the fixed blade category everytime I look at the Temperance 2 model I see design perfection IMO.

Albeit we don't all see beauty in the same vein but there are Spyders that should be in anyone's top 10>> More the reason to bring back the C-44 Dyad and a super deluxe version of the C-54 Calypso.
I don't think that any of those will be his favorite because almost all of his list shows a preference of smaller knives to larger ones. All except the Red Persian, which shows preference of beauty over the smaller knife.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
hiredgun

Post by hiredgun »

If I want to show a friend an excellent knife, my CF Sage would be one of them. I'd likely follow-up the showing with my Blue Para M390. The Spydie hole, pocket clips, materials, steels, Sal's philosophy, etc. would make for an enjoyable evening of conversation with any of my friends. You would seriously rate a Victorinox Cadet blue alox over all 50 of your Spydies??? I own that very knife and while attractive and all, many of my Spydercos are much more EXCELLENT than that. To each his own, but I question your "credibility" with that one in the mix.
You can't display a toad in a fine restaurant like this! Why, the good folks here would go right off the feed!
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Don't take offense lamorak, many of us genuinely appreciate the usefulness of these Chevy's, Nissan's and I would add Toyotas. Not everyone has gobs of cash to put into this hobby. However we all appreciate the quality, diversity, and accessibility that Spyderco puts into their production lineup.

Some may not be as pretty or as devoid of petty flaws, but all are extremely functional and show fine materials and craftsmanship. The innovative nature of Spyderco is probably what drew you to the brand in the the first place. I know I'll get the best knife for the price with this brand.
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

So to clarify you're looking for the ones that Ooo and Ahhh? If that's the case I'm thinking exotic materials and interesting blade shapes.

Just a few:
Vallatton
Navajah
Lionspy
Sage 1/2/4
Gayle Bradley
Phoenix
PPT
Zulu (maybe)
Shabaria (maybe)
Persian and Mini Persian Micarta

upcoming

Szabo
Techno
plus some others I can't recall.

PS: I understand the car thing but would still go GT-R on all levels. ;)
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

I am not entirely sure what the question is here. To the OP. You say that you purchased Spyderco #50 in your collection, so I assume that you are attracted to something about this brand. I consider myself a Spyderco fan and I don't have anywhere near 50 of them in my home. So I guess my confusion is if you don't consider Spyderco knives "excellent enough to show your friends" then why buy 50 of them?
I do get your point about looks. Aesthetics are in the eye of the beholder as is art. I, for example absolutely love my Para 2. It's my favorite Spydie for looks, ergonomics and function. But my wife and friends hate how it looks. They make fun of it all the time. Different strokes I guess.
In short, if you are looking for suggestions on what Spyderco to buy to "show off to your friends" and you couldn't get that done in the first 50 purchases, I would abandon the track altogether and find another route to that goal. Just my .02.
maa14

Post by maa14 »

jtoler_9 wrote:I am not entirely sure what the question is here. To the OP. You say that you purchased Spyderco #50 in your collection, so I assume that you are attracted to something about this brand. I consider myself a Spyderco fan and I don't have anywhere near 50 of them in my home. So I guess my confusion is if you don't consider Spyderco knives "excellent enough to show your friends" then why buy 50 of them?
I do get your point about looks. Aesthetics are in the eye of the beholder as is art. I, for example absolutely love my Para 2. It's my favorite Spydie for looks, ergonomics and function. But my wife and friends hate how it looks. They make fun of it all the time. Different strokes I guess.
In short, if you are looking for suggestions on what Spyderco to buy to "show off to your friends" and you couldn't get that done in the first 50 purchases, I would abandon the track altogether and find another route to that goal. Just my .02.
this is what I was thinking
:spyder:'s =FFG ZDP-189 Delica...Manix2...saber grind VG10 Delica...bug...Blue M390 Paramilitary 2...SE hawkbill Ladybug salt...sharpmaker with UF stones.orange and red baliyo...
Latest purchase=Gayle Bradley
michaelm466

Post by michaelm466 »

It's just subjective, my top ten would include the Military, Para 2, Manix 2, Manix 2 XL, Gayle Bradley, BM AFCK, BM TSEK, ZT 200, ZT 560, BM 581 (most in sprint runs). Of the knives in your top ten I own Black Alox Cadet, but prefer a super tinker or Alox soldier over it, the others I don't like enough to purchase any time in the near future and most probably never. Yes including the Sebenza (S30V/S35VN is run too soft for my taste, and rather plain looking) or SNG (although I've considered an SMF, the M4 and 3V version only though).
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I was just thinking to myself, 50 is a lot of knives. That covers a huge chunk of the current catalog. Can we get a list of what's in this 50 knives, just out of curiosity? Please don't tell me you have 48 Ladybugs, a Caly 3 ZDP and a red Persian ;)
~David
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Evil D wrote:I was just thinking to myself, 50 is a lot of knives. That covers a huge chunk of the current catalog. Can we get a list of what's in this 50 knives, just out of curiosity? Please don't tell me you have 48 Ladybugs, a Caly 3 ZDP and a red Persian ;)
49 bugs and a tenacious. ;)
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

For me Spyderco always wins because of their materials to price ratio. Sure you can get ZDP and S90V other places on other knives, but you are going to pay through the nose. To me Spyderco represents the best materials in an excellent, usually visually appealing ergonomic form, for a great price. I don't have an unlimited budget for knives, not even close. If you can afford to spend thousands of dollars on knives yearly good for you, but you certainly don't represent the majority of Spyderco owners.

I like the slogan, "Reliable High Performance". That's basically what keeps me coming back. 99% of my Spydies are users, and the ones I don't use don't last long. Because like Sal says, the spirit of the knife (design) comes alive when used. (Paraphrasing, of course.) I pull out a Spyderco and I think, "Wow, what an excellent tool for the job." I know there is some aspect of collecting knives purely from an aesthetic standpoint, but that's something I'll never be guilty of. ;)

You gotta try them all too. :)

Also I have to agree with Blerv's post above.