Stupid, sharp knives!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jazz

Stupid, sharp knives!

Post by Jazz »

Okay, I love it when they're extremely sharp. :p My wife might think differently, though. :eek: She just asked me if I had a knife (what do you think? :D ) so she could cut some threads off her new shorts. I handed her my ZDP Dfly and watched her cut off the threads. Neither of us saw how or when it cut her. Not a bad one, but bleeding - man, those ZDP 189 Spydies are Sharp! That's all I have to say - just impressed with the razor sharpness, but not that my wife got cut.

- best wishes, Jazz.
dalefuller

Post by dalefuller »

Jazz wrote:Okay, I love it when they're extremely sharp. :p My wife might think differently, though. :eek: She just asked me if I had a knife (what do you think? :D ) so she could cut some threads off her new shorts. I handed her my ZDP Dfly and watched her cut off the threads. Neither of us saw how or when it cut her. Not a bad one, but bleeding - man, those ZDP 189 Spydies are Sharp! That's all I have to say - just impressed with the razor sharpness, but not that my wife got cut.

- best wishes, Jazz.
The worst accidental cut I've ever gotten was with my wife's ZDP189 D4. Didn't even know when it happened... just saw blood everywhere and found out it was mine when I started lookin'.
Regards,
Dale

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
~ Will Rogers, 1879-1935
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

I hear you completely Jazz. I got my wife's purple Delica so sharp she's scared to touch it :eek:
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
Slash

Post by Slash »

The worst cut I've ever had happen to myself was a couple weeks ago cutting the threads off a pair of jean shorts while wearing them. I was cutting in an upward motion while pulling the thread with my other hand. Sliced a half dollar size piece of skin and fat from the palm area of my hand where my thumb muscle is. Bleed just about all day long.

So, from now on instead of making shorts out of my jeans, I just buy shorts.
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

I've always wanted a knife made from the magical metal in Rutger Hauer's sword in "Blind Fury" :)
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Last week I was putting mulch down on the flower beds. Using my blue Dodo to open the top of the bags (it excels at opening bags!). I was TOO tired, I guess, but somewhere around bag 40 I felt something running down my leg... (of course it was blood ;) )

Apparently I was too close to one of the bags. The tip had sliced a 2" cut through my shorts (and my leg). Couldn't even tell you which bag it'd been.... < sigh ;) >

Ken
玉鋼
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I have a BAD habit of hoding a knife in my right hand while continuing to work after I have used it. Once I was tying something to the top of my car at Lowe's. My wife was there. I cut the string and continued to tie the knot (or something). I can't remember exactly but all I know is as I was working my right hand had to come closer to my left arm than the knife would allow. I stabbed my arm pretty bad (no arteries). Wife was on the other side of the car and didn't see me do it. I looked at her and said "I just stabbed the sh** out of my arm." She walked around the car, saw the blood dripping off my fingers and just shook her head. Someone was walking throught the parking lot and saw what happened. He came back about a minute later with LOTS of napkins he keeps in his truck. The other day we were tying a toy for my grandson to the car. I cut the string and continued to work with the open knife in my hand. Wife said. "CLOSE THAT KNIFE YOU IDIOT." I took her advice.

She gets a funny look on her face when using my knives. She handles them like they were alive and waiting to bite her if she isn't paying attention to them. I should have the same fear. Because I don't I've carelessly cut myself several times over the years.

Jack
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Slash wrote:The worst cut I've ever had happen to myself was a couple weeks ago cutting the threads off a pair of jean shorts while wearing them. I was cutting in an upward motion while pulling the thread with my other hand. Sliced a half dollar size piece of skin and fat from the palm area of my hand where my thumb muscle is. Bleed just about all day long.

So, from now on instead of making shorts out of my jeans, I just buy shorts.
Well, at least you never made the shorts while wearing the pants. :eek:

- best wishes, Jazz.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

kbuzbee wrote:Last week I was putting mulch down on the flower beds. Using my blue Dodo to open the top of the bags (it excels at opening bags!). I was TOO tired, I guess, but somewhere around bag 40 I felt something running down my leg... (of course it was blood ;) )

Apparently I was too close to one of the bags. The tip had sliced a 2" cut through my shorts (and my leg). Couldn't even tell you which bag it'd been.... < sigh ;) >

Ken
That really makes you appreciate the sharpness. I did that at work with a Tasman Salt. I sliced a box towards myself, like I do a lot, and it somehow sliced through an apron and two layers of chef coat, but didn't get my belly - freaked me out, but I just looked at the knife in admiration. :p

- best wishes, Jazz.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

jackknifeh wrote: Wife said. "CLOSE THAT KNIFE YOU IDIOT."

Jack
You just made me laugh - not at your cut, but that just sounds like a smart wife. :D

- best wishes, Jazz.
Slash

Post by Slash »

Jazz wrote:Well, at least you never made the shorts while wearing the pants. :eek:

- best wishes, Jazz.
Actually, I did that also. I was wearing a pair of sweat pants at a Nascar race. Meet a friend that I work with in the parking lot and used a disposable razor blade to make them. It was just hotter than I expected it to be out there.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Slash wrote:Actually, I did that also. I was wearing a pair of sweat pants at a Nascar race. Meet a friend that I work with in the parking lot and used a disposable razor blade to make them. It was just hotter than I expected it to be out there.
Wow, that's some sketchy cutting. I hope they weren't short shorts! :eek:

- best wishes, Jazz.