Best Looking Spydercos

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wolverine666

Best Looking Spydercos

Post by Wolverine666 »

Which do you consider to be the best looking Spydercos ? Some people are actually turned off by the big trademark Spyderco hole. But I could never use a folder without it. I'm just conditioned to rely on the hole instead of (cringe) thumb studs to quickly deploy the blade. And I find any folder without a big hole to look strange.

Anyway , I own and love the Sage4 and I think it is one of the most attractive Spydercos (and knives in general) ever built. The titanium and ironwood just do it for me. And the seamless joining of the back spacer and front lock is a true work of art.

I also think that the Chaparral is quite good-looking as well. The blade is a bit too thin for my taste but overall it is a sweet looking knife.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

The bolstered Persian, Nishijin Lum, 25th Anniversary Delica, and upcoming Damascus Caly 3 are some of the most attractive Spydies IMO.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Wolverine666

Post by Wolverine666 »

Yeah , I agree on the bolstered Persian. Very easy on the eyes.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

The way the holes are incorporated in the blades of most Spyderco designs makes them unconventional looking, compared to something like my old AFCK that has the hole lower in the blade. But in a case of "beauty is as beauty does" the most popular Spyderco's such as the Military and Para 2 function very well and thus are beautiful in their own way.

I find the Sage 1 and 2 to be the best looking of the Spyderco knives to me. The curves of the top of the blade, cutting edge, incorporation of the hole into the blade, and the curves of the handle all integrate together very well, nothing really seems out of place. By contrast there is something about the curve of the cutting edge of the Para 2 and the straight part of the top of the blade don't fit together, and the blade position doesn't integrate with the contours of the handle. This is from a purely aesthetic standpoint however, and I'm sure that the designers had the function of the knife in mind when designing it. It functions very well so there is no need to worry about the finer points of aesthetics.

I have knives with holes and knives with thumb studs. A lot of times for me the thumb stud is not completely foolproof because your thumb has to be positioned just right to exert the right force on the blade to overcome the detent that holds the blade closed. The hole, especially the big hole in the Para 2, is much more foolproof for me. The only set of thumb studs I have that are as positive as the Para 2 are the ones on my Kershaw Blur, and those are big thumb studs with sharp edges.
shqxk

Post by shqxk »

Paramilitary 2 Blue G10.

Best spyderco model for me, would prefer it over the over-sized military anytime.

Blue handle match greatly to brilliant silver blade. :)
Igi964

Post by Igi964 »

I must agree. Blue Para2 with satin smooth M390 steel. The most beautifull knife for me.
The Student

Post by The Student »

I have to admit when I first started looking for a quality knife to carry I came across may spydercos but I couldn't get over the hole. I knew it served a purpose, but the look was just not my thing. I have since changed my opinion. Currently I dig carbon fiber scales, I would have to say the GB is one beautiful knife, thick liners and peel-ply. Not to mention it develops a nice patina.
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

The most beautiful knife in the range for me is the Perrin PPT.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
Wildernest Survivor

Post by Wildernest Survivor »

I am of two minds on this subject. The first category are the real "lookers" - most people, even non-knife fans, can appreciate these knives for their visual splendor. Out of the current production models, the Para2 is my choice. The combination of the pleasing blade shape and the myriad choices of handle material make this knife quite the looker. Once you get it the hand, the deal is sealed. :D I also think that the new Puukko is a very visually pleasing knife. The desert ironwood handle along with the brass bolster are a real eye-catcher. The classic, utilitarian blade shape is just the right size to balance the solid wood handles. An honorable mention goes to the new Szabo - only because I haven't actually laid eyes on it myself. I think that this knife is just stunning, and if you ask this question again in 2013, the Szabo folder would be my choice.
The second category of beautiful knives are the "form-follows-function" knives. These are the knives that might have "quirky" looks, but they are beautiful because of their functional designs. My choice for this class would be the new orange Dodo Sprint Run. I just didn't get this knife; then I purchased one on a whim last month. The first time I held it in my hands, the knife just "clicked". It felt formed to my hand - no matter which grip I tried. The unique shape instantly made perfect sense. An honorable mention would go to the old Captain model. :spyder:
"Next time there's a revolution - wake up earlier!"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Vince Aut Morire

yowzer

Post by yowzer »

The Lum Chinese is one of the two prettiest looking production knife patterns around (The other being the Case Swayback Jack/Gent), IMO. There's plenty of other good looking knives, but those two top the list. The smooth flowing lines and almost organic curves are gorgeous.

I really like the Police's blade, too. Swedges can be hit or miss, and that one's a hit. I think it's a shame the Police 3 didn't keep it.

The Chokwe has a bit of an industrial feel to it with all the straight lines and sharp angles that's the polar opposite of the Lum, but still attractive in its own way.

Ugliest: The jigged bone Delicas. They just don't work for me. The Sage 4 is a better take on the 'natural handle material + bolster' school of design, but still not something I think looks good on modern knives. On a classic slipjoint design, now...
Newest :spyder: in hand: Halloween Handle Hap40 Endura and Delica.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Great lookers to me and most NKPs are the Sage 4, Phoenix, Lum Chinese Folders, Damascus Delicas, Kopa Series and the inlaid Kiwis. Then agian, I think the plain ol' Military is pretty too, with its triangular sweeping blade and the angled handle.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
pmel018

Post by pmel018 »

The original carbon fiber Police model, the knife that changed my mind about Spyderco.
Phil
Wolverine666

Post by Wolverine666 »

I can't say for certain because I have not handled one yet BUT....by the looks of all the pics I have seen online , I say the Yojimbo2 has a certain something that makes it exciting to look at (IMO). Maybe it's the aggressive blade design with the straight edge and awesome point. Looks beautiful to me.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

The Lum Chinese. Elegant, sleek! No bump, no hump, no straight spine.

SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

hey guys,
of the spyderco's i own, i think these are the best looking of the bunch.

thanks for looking.
later,
don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

I am drawn to any number of Ed Schempp's designs. My favorite is the oringal mini-Persian.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Original Jess Horn
Black micarta bolstered Persian
Shabaria
Kopas
Caly3/3.5
Phoenix
C42 Viele
Volpe

Special category: Dodo. Probably not a good-looker in the common sense. Like a some girl, who is not pretty, but has something that you cannot take your eyes off her.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Hands down, for me:

I like how most of my Spydies looks, but this one wears the crown.

Honorable mention to the GB

Ken
玉鋼
Holland

Post by Holland »

jabba359 wrote:The bolstered Persian, Nishijin Lum, 25th Anniversary Delica, and upcoming Damascus Caly 3 are some of the most attractive Spydies IMO.
definitely my favourites
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Prospero

Post by Prospero »

Sage 4, G10 Endura, Micarta/bolstered Persian, fluted Ti Military...those get my vote.