C02 Mariner...?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
CJF

C02 Mariner...?

Post by CJF »

I have had this knife sitting in a drawer collecting dust for many years. From what I can tell it appears to be a Left Handed Mariner. The knife is still in very good condition, no rust, a few minor scratches on the handle, but the blade is still very sharp and opens smooth and locks up solid.

My question, is this indeed a C02 Mariner and what would be a good asking price?

Any help will be appreciated, thanks.
Chris
Attachments
photo (1).JPG
CJF

Post by CJF »

Clip side pic:
Attachments
photo.JPG
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Yes, it's definitely a Mariner, although technically a 1002 rather than a C02, since the square edged handle and lack of a drying vent make it 1st generation, and the four digit product codes were used at that time. It appears to be in excellent condition but, unfortunately, there's not a tremendous amount of collector interest in the Mariner. I'd estimate that, without the original box, it would be worth somewhere around $100.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The Deacon wrote:Yes, it's definitely a Mariner, although technically a 1002 rather than a C02, since the square edged handle and lack of a drying vent make it 1st generation, and the four digit product codes were used at that time. It appears to be in excellent condition but, unfortunately, there's not a tremendous amount of collector interest in the Mariner. I'd estimate that, without the original box, it would be worth somewhere around $100.
Everything Deacon said and I'll add that the C-02 models I do believe had a chamferred handle as well as the dryer vents. And most of the C-02 models have an indentification marks indicating which steel was used i.e. GIN-1, G-2, ATS-55 ect, ect,. I also believe that the lanyard holes were even chamferred on the later models if my memory is correct.

Of all the earliest Mariner models I've had they came in a black & white box in the earliest generations. I didn't even think that the left handed versions came along until the ATS-55 era but I could be wrong. I wish someone would correct me if I am wrong.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

JD Spydo wrote:Everything Deacon said and I'll add that the C-02 models I do believe had a chamferred handle as well as the dryer vents. And most of the C-02 models have an indentification marks indicating which steel was used i.e. GIN-1, G-2, ATS-55 ect, ect,. I also believe that the lanyard holes were even chamferred on the later models if my memory is correct.

Of all the earliest Mariner models I've had they came in a black & white box in the earliest generations. I didn't even think that the left handed versions came along until the ATS-55 era but I could be wrong. I wish someone would correct me if I am wrong.
With the possible exception of the "two screw" Workers, all the early models were originally available in both LH and RH models.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
CJF

Post by CJF »

Thank you for the replies gentlemen, and the history lesson. Like I said I've had it for years, and while I get nostalgic with older knives, I think I'll probably try to trade it off for a Spyderco model I'll use and carry.

Chris
JD Spydo

didn't know LEFT went that far back

Post by JD Spydo »

The Deacon wrote:With the possible exception of the "two screw" Workers, all the early models were originally available in both LH and RH models.
Hey thanks Deac I never knew that>> because the very first left handed Mariner I ever owned was a pair of ATS-55 models I got in a trade that were both left handed>> before that I never really paid that much attention. Being I am right handed I probably at the time had no reason to even notice.

But I didn't know that their left versus right versions went that far back.

The Mariner was always a very sentimental favorite of mine because the very first Spyder I ever bought was a GIN-1 Mariner with the stainless handle in 1995. Besides the Stainless handled Rescue model I still think it was one of the most sturdy models they ever built.

The plain edged Mariner was a tough find then and has even gotten tougher to find over the years.
ceya

Post by ceya »

Mini Mariner even harder to find.

S/F,
CEYA!
"Stay in the fight because we are Marines and the mission will be complete regardless of degree of difficulty."

by CEYA!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ceya wrote:Mini Mariner even harder to find.

S/F,
CEYA!
Thanks for bringing that one up Ceya. I almost forgot about that one. I think it was meant to be a key chain knife if my memory is correct. The Mariner was certainly a flagship model for Spyderco for some time. Even though I like the stainless Rescue model just a bit better it was still one of my favorite Spyderedged models.
Spyderbro

Post by Spyderbro »

[CENTER]Sal started LH/RH from the beginning. (Thanks Sal)

Image[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Speak to people as if they were directly in front of you. [/CENTER]
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Be nice if they went back to that idea and did some lefty releases for us south paws. *cough*framelock*cough*
On the hunt for...
ceya

Post by ceya »

JD Spydo wrote:Thanks for bringing that one up Ceya. I almost forgot about that one. I think it was meant to be a key chain knife if my memory is correct. The Mariner was certainly a flagship model for Spyderco for some time. Even though I like the stainless Rescue model just a bit better it was still one of my favorite Spyderedged models.
Necklace knife, it so small.

S/H,
CEYA!
"Stay in the fight because we are Marines and the mission will be complete regardless of degree of difficulty."

by CEYA!
Slash

Post by Slash »

looks to me it would be worth 30-40. but, I'm no collector for such an item. put it up on the bay and start the auction at .99 cents with no reserve, let it run for a week and you'll find out how much it's worth.

asking what a good asking price sounds like one of those rules that gets threads like this deleted though. good luck with your sale.