Nano-Oil for Sal

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kwakster

Nano-Oil for Sal

Post by kwakster »

Hi Sal,

Did you already use/test some of that strength 10 Nano-Oil i gave you at the last Amsterdam Meet ?
I would be very interested to hear about your findings with it.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I got a tube of Nano-oil from Howe's this past monday. It works great upon first application. You can feel the difference in how smooth the blade opens/closes. But, that can be said of about any good oil. What the next couple of weeks will show is how long the lubritant lasts. My Sage4 is adjusted to the point that the blade will slowly glide down (fall sort of) when I hold it still and press the lock release. I applied Nano-oil and worked it into the pivot real well. Now when I push the lock release the blade falls and hits my index finger with a firm bounce. It doesn't fall like my Manix2 does. Any Manix2 knife I've tried lets the blade just fall with no resistance when the lock is released.

Prior to the Nano-oil I used Tuf-Glide initially for corrosion control and then Quick Release once a week or maybe two. I doubt if the QR needs to be applied that often. Nano-oil is supposed to be able to combine with oil already present. I read some on it on the Nano-oil site. So, now I think the Nano-oil is better than QR upon initial application and like I said we'll see how long it lasts before I feel I need to apply some more. I put two applications of Nano-oil on the Sage4. Once on Monday then on Tuesday night. Now I know it's in there and will wait.

I also used it on my new FRN Manbug and it is really smooth. But being brand new I didn't have the time for it to break in so I'd know how it would feel then. I'm watching the Sage4 because it will get more use.

Jack

Edit: From reading about it Nano-oil seems to be designed for guns and things far more in need of lubrication than folding knives. Nano-oil is more expensive.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

I'll be interested to hear your impressions going forward. Sound like great stuff. May have to give it a go myself.

For the last many years I've been using Sentry's dry lubricants under the theory that "oils" attract dust. If you happen to take one apart (usual "voids the warrantee" disclaimer ;) ) I'd be interested to see what you find.

Ken
玉鋼
skatenut

Post by skatenut »

Coincidence, just did a search for Nano oil and found this thread!

So far, I only used Nano oil on a Lumapower flashlight's o-ring, which proved to be much too flimsy and ungreased (!) and simply curled out between the two flashlight halves when trying to close it. It didn't survive that, got cut in half. Used Nano oil, bought from Howes knife shop on the replacement o-ring and so far encountered no problems when repeatedly opening or closing the flashlight.

To be fair, any decent oil or good grease should take care of that particular problem. Never thought that Lumapower would put ungreased o-rings in their lights! :mad:

The needle-like applicator seems to facilitate use on the pivot or lock area of knives, imho.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

I have ZERO patience ;) Nano-oil ordered ;)

I'll report back on receipt.

Ken
玉鋼
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

kbuzbee wrote:I have ZERO patience ;) Nano-oil ordered ;)

I'll report back on receipt.

Ken
You need to use the prayer I used asking for patience. It goes:

Please give me patience,

BUT HURRY!

Amen
:)

I forgot I had put some on my flashlights (threads and O-ring). They operate LOTS smoother and easier now. My Fenix LD01 is super smooth which operates with a twist head for ON/OFF and brightness. Now I have a great light that I love even more. I had gotten used to using only tuf-glide on lights. It is a good lubricant but not a really good one.

Jack
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

jackknifeh wrote:You need to use the prayer I used asking for patience. It goes:

Please give me patience,

BUT HURRY!

Amen
:)
I'm familiar with a very similar version...

"Lord, grant me patience, and please grant it right now!"

:lol:

I could always relate to that!

Cheers,

Ken
玉鋼
JD Spydo

Prove to me that it's better and I'll go for it

Post by JD Spydo »

I'm a big fan of Militec and have been for quite a while. I would be very interested to see how this oil stacks up against Militec and also to see how it stacks up against this stuff Doc Snubnose recently told us about >> I believe it was called CorresionX or something like that. Well anyway Doc thought it was the "Cat's Meow".

But I have had such good luck with Militec, Tuf-Glide and that dry lube that Sentry Solutions has called "BP-2000" which is the best dry lube I've ever used barr none.

But what the heck I'm always looking for something better.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

JD Spydo wrote:
But what the heck I'm always looking for something better.
Exactly. I'm in the same exact place (both experience and desire - wise):lol:

I'll give my thoughts.... Eventually:lol:

Ken
玉鋼
kwakster

Post by kwakster »

I have been using the Nano-Oil from stClaire for quite some time now, and for what it's supposed to do (reducing friction) it's the best stuff i've ever stumbled across.

But i also found that you notice it's effects better if the workload increases, as it simply will not be pushed away from any mechanism like most other oils seem to do.
It will also continue to work when all oil seems to have disappeared.

For instance when using it on folding knife pivots the workload is not so heavy that Nano-Oil works significantly better than Triflow, Blue Lube or any other kind of good quality oil.
True, the knife seems to open slicker and does so for a long period, but you don't have to feel underpowered when you use something else that works good for you.
The workload is light and most quality oils will do.

However; on applications where higher workloads apply, Nano-Oil works significantly better as a friction reducer than any other oil that i've tried in the past.

- In my gym a standard Teflon based oil was used on all pulley systems, but it had to be re-applied practically every day because the workload is high and the pulleys are used by many each day.
Nano-Oil proved to be a significant improvement here, as 1 application of only a few drops per pulley kept grinding and squeeking away for months.
The gym personel didn't re-oil anything on my request, and the gym owner bought a few 8cc tubes of Nano-Oil after the test :-)

- A few months ago i was in Australia where i used strength 10 Nano-Oil on a brand new Shimano fishing reel which was owned by a friend of mine, an avid (sea) fisherman.
Another friend bought the same reel at the same time, but i didn't oil that one.
The big problem with fishing at sea is that the reels get splashed with seawater all the time, which later dries and deposits salt crystals inside the mechanism which then ruin the action.

I just sent my friend an e-mail with the question how the Nano-Oil performed for him after 3 months, and this was his reply:

" I am absolutely happy and convinced that Nano-Oil is the best oil for this application.
Growing up with dad who is a fitter and turner, silver smith and jack of all trades I have tried most lubricants for most applications so I know what works.
Ie Rp7, ezy glide, silicon spray, wd40, Teflon based, carbon powder, hot and cool working lubes, machinery and lathe cutting pastes ect.
Seeing the joints in the reel are totally dry now and there is no trace or appearance of any oil left in there, i know it's working !
The amazing thing is that it feels like it has been oiled !

The guy at the shop said " that's pretty ****ing good for a cheap reel to be running so nice".

Luke next door who has the same reel and has used it for the same amount of time has had his reel seize up to the point it was difficult to turn the spin reel."

NB; like most Americans, Australians have a very finely honed "bull**** detector" and will disregard quickly anything that smells like hollow marketing ads.
My friend who lives in Brisbane told me that he literally only takes into account what friends recommend him.

Since i have & use all 3 grades of Nano-Oil, this is what i have found so far with each of them:

- The lightest grade 5 oil is thin like water and specially designed for quick and deep penetration.
Made to loosen stuck parts and also for applications where other oils are too thick to penetrate well.
It will evaporate after some time while leaving the working Nano material behind to do it's job.

- Light grade 10 has about the thickness of olive oil, and can be used for folding knife pivots (tested by me), semi-automatic firearms/handguns (tested by me), rifles, threads on flashlights (tested by me), fishing reels (tested by my Australian friend), locks, hinges, bicycle chains, cables, cogwheels, etc. (tested by my brother in law)

- the heavy grade 85 is thick like syrup and is meant for full automatic guns like the M4 and a host of others (currently being tested in H&K MP5 and others by a few Dutch SWAT team members) as well as in applications where you would normally use grease, like in closed ball bearings for skateboards, rollerblades and inline skates. (currently being tested by my nephew)
Clip

Post by Clip »

Interesting stuff. I'd like to see some side-by-side tests of this compared to Militec and Tuf-Glide (my choice right now). Always ready to upgrade if something's better!

After seeing their automotive additives, I'm kind of skeptical of that product and think it might fall into the same category as Restore, Marvel Mystery Oil, etc.

Edit:

Add this one to the side-by-side.
http://www.diamondlube.com/Home_Page.html

Seems like the internet is full of people with the best lubes, and from the sounds of it, the forces in the Middle East must be up to their ears in wipes, syringes, pens and bottles of different oils.

Maybe this war WAS about oil!
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
wquiles

Post by wquiles »

I have been using nano-oil as well for a couple of years now, simply excellent. Not only it works awesome on my folders, but also on small fans and motors when they get noisy (a drop or two, and they are nice and quiet again!).

Will
Wanted: Superhawk - Found!
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

May be premature but after using Nano-oil on my Sage4 (5 days) it has developed a much smoother blade movement. This knife is new and barely out of the break-in period so that may be a factor. The Sage4 is the only knife I've carried consistantly since using Nano. I'm going to use my Chaparral starting today and see how it does. I put Nano-oil on it when I got it but haven't done anything except work the oil into the pivot. Very happy with Nano so far. I just wonder where thay got that name.
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

I am going to have to get a bottle of this to try out. Sounds like everyone is seeing excellent real world results.
kwakster

Post by kwakster »

For me Nano-Oil has proven itself on a multitude of applications, and i will definitely keep using it.
About the only thing i found where it doesn't work as good as i've come to expect is my older Buck 186; the 420HC blade runs directly on the titanium handle slabs without any washers, and while the Nano-Oil does improve the action it is nowhere near as slick as any other knife i've tried the oil on.
I've read similar stories on CandlePower forums from guys who had the same experience with the threads on titanium flashlights.
justinl

Post by justinl »

very interesting. is it food-safe?
kwakster

Post by kwakster »

I'm not sure, but since i only use it on the pivot and very sparingly as well i don't think i will have a problem, at least where folders are concerned.
phaust

Post by phaust »

justinl wrote:very interesting. is it food-safe?
Googled nano oil food safe, and the answer came right up

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... EwZXCz6viw
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

phaust wrote:Googled nano oil food safe, and the answer came right up

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... EwZXCz6viw
Here are the two comments I see regarding using Nano-oil on a knife, then cutting food with it. From what I see I would use it to cut my apple or sandwich and not worry. Still, I would want something advertised as food safe for my kitchen knives/utensils.

Primary Skin Irritation: May cause skin irritation, based on component data and or similar materials.

Ingestion: No treatment necessary under normal circumstances. Do not induce vomiting.
If conscious, administer a glass of water.
If victim shows signs of lung aspiration, seek immediate medical assistance.

I think if it was DANGEROUS to use on utensils used for food it would be stated, wouldn't it? Still, we are talking about folding pocket knives, not knives used primarily in food prep I think.

Jack
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

So my order arrived yesterday. Lubed up a dozen knives with the 10 weight. Every one of them got smoother. Some (D2 Mili and XHP Manix) dramatically so but even my butter smooth knives (Lil'Temp, 20CP Para) were smoother and noticeably quieter. So far, I'm nicely impressed but the next month will tell whether this will be a regular for me. I've only used dry lubes for the last several years and the lint issues of petro based oil has me "leery".

Ken

(I should mention all these knives had already been treated with Smooth Kote, so they are now Frankenlube hybrids... ;) I won't be trying it solo until my Bradley Air arrives)
玉鋼