compression lock vs. tri-ad lock?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
BAL

Post by BAL »

Kardinalsyn, thanks for posting the pics. I love and carry
my GB often, but it's great to see THE GB at work.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

jabba359 wrote:On a side note, one of my friends worked on a fairly recent Jeep commercial. While it looks cool, he told me that they ended up breaking two of the Jeeps to get the shots! Of course, video editing makes it look like they handle the abuse just fine!
That's very interesting Kyle! I'm all for factory vehicles off-roading but with locking diffs and low crawl ratios bouncing around isnt the way to go. Real intensity is rocks and .1 mph. :) .

Back to knives, again, no slight to any maker. It's just an interesting spin to abuse a product and then have a warranty department. It's not exactly testing a sample number of each brand and publishing data for point of failure.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Blerv wrote:That's very interesting Kyle! I'm all for factory vehicles off-roading but with locking diffs and low crawl ratios bouncing around isnt the way to go. Real intensity is rocks and .1 mph. :) .

Back to knives, again, no slight to any maker. It's just an interesting spin to abuse a product and then have a warranty department. It's not exactly testing a sample number of each brand and publishing data for point of failure.
That's interesting also Blerv, about the warranty. I believe warranties (with honest companies) are written to protect the customer from manufacturing flaws and inferior materials as well as to protect the company from warranty claims from customers who completely abuse the product. I believe if everyone was honest things would be better. :rolleyes: So, from now on we should all be honest. Or would that be too big of a demand for mankind? :confused: :)

Jack
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

On another aspect and this is me thinking out loud (or writing it out), Spyderco knives do transfer forces felt at the tip of the blade or along it's edge on to the handle in a balanced way. For example, the force generated in a downward cut can be felt throughout the handle somewhat. Anyone else notice that?

The knife that failed on me, another US brand, had the force getting concentrated at the forward part of the knife. Caused the liner lock to fail.

Does the above make sense?
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
BAL

Post by BAL »

jackknifeh wrote:That's interesting also Blerv, about the warranty. I believe warranties (with honest companies) are written to protect the customer from manufacturing flaws and inferior materials as well as to protect the company from warranty claims from customers who completely abuse the product. I believe if everyone was honest things would be better. :rolleyes: So, from now on we should all be honest. Or would that be too big of a demand for mankind? :confused: :)

Jack
That too is very intersting Jack, I agree about people and warranties. It's like all of the crazy-assed
warnings that companies have to put on products to protect us. You know, like these bullets
are not for human consumption. And honesty, it doesn't exist much anymore. Many seem to always
be looking to "cash-in" on anything they can. It's a different world than when we were kids.