A love affair with M390 (Mule, Para2 and Military)! (WARNING HUNT PICS)

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
xavierdoc

A love affair with M390 (Mule, Para2 and Military)! (WARNING HUNT PICS)

Post by xavierdoc »

I have been using an M390 mule with Halpern scales ever since it was first released. I've also been enjoying the M390 PM2 and more recently the Military in the same steel.

Mule:

Military:

Para 2:

My Para 2 thin-edge experiences are in this thread. Suffice to say, it's still going strong.

I'm coming to the conclusion that this is my current favourite all-round knife steel.

Having reached that conclusion I decided to take the Halpern scales off the M390 mule (they are going on the Elmax mule) and treat it to something more permanent and personal. Accordingly I have fitted some Arizona Desert Ironwood scales (sadly not burl) with brass pins. It's a very "3D" handle shape, which I like (one of the many reasons I like the Bushcraft). The palm-swell does make it look a bit pregnant though.

I've also reduced the thumb ramp (looks a bit "Chapparal"?) and shortened the guard. Next time I'll extend the scales further forward at an angle toward the thumb ramp. Will look better and give a better thumb platform.

I'm never sure about pin-positioning on the mule and, true to form, I managed to get these in the wrong place. No matter, 'tis a user.

The knife will be carried in this rather funky sheath (made by someone much more skillful than I!)

Anyone else feeling the love for M390?
UKPK G10, UKPK Ti, Para 2CF&20CP, Stretch CF, Stretch CF conv, Manix2 M4,Endura Wave, Endura ZDP189, Pacific Salt, Captain, Gunting S30v, P'Kal, Gayle Bradley,Atlantic Salt, Spyderhawk, Crossbill, Wings slipit
Mules: CTSBD1, Super Blue, S90V, VG10, S35VN, Cos-3, M390 Fixed: Bushcraft, Warrior
michaelm466

Post by michaelm466 »

Love the handle! Yes, M390 is definitely proving to be one of my favorites. As a matter of fact I think it may be the steel most common in my collection currently.
grg

Post by grg »

Nice work on the mule handles.
Rossi

Post by Rossi »

Xav, watch your back mate. In the first pic it looks like there's a bear creeping up on you. :eek: :D

Great looking mule with an equally great sheath. Love it. :)
eneyman

Post by eneyman »

Great pics xavier! Ironwood scales and that custom spydie sheath are fantastic!
Mjolnir74

Post by Mjolnir74 »

Nice stag. I like the M390 blades too. I can't wait to try the carpenter version when it comes out. I haven't dulled my para enough yet to warrant a resharpening. I've just had to strop it and it comes back to hair popping sharp.
Mr.Sparkitle

Post by Mr.Sparkitle »

Great pictures, I love my M390 para, I have yet to take my M390 Mili out of its box as the para has been taking so much pocket time. The first picture looks like you are about to be eaten by what ever is crashing in from the top right.
PE Military/CE Mini Manix/CE D'Allara/Yojimbo/Centofante 3//PE D4 Wave/PE D4 Wave/Sage 3/ZDP CE D4//Manix2/Barong/D2 ParaMili/G10 Endura//Manix2//M4 Manix2/Caly Jr./Sage II/M4 Military/Lum Tanto Sprint/MT01/MT02/MT03/MT04/MT05/MT06//FRN UKPK/Karambit/Bug/Honeybee/Grasshopper/Sprint Swick/Swick2/Chokwe//Military//ZDP Stretch//Delica//DayHiker/Lum Chinese//Sage/Chicago/Terzuola/Michael Walker/LeafStorm/SuperHawk/Gayle Bradly//Bushcraft/XHP Military//
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Yum, Hasenpfeffer, Vension and shrooms. What time is dinner? :)
USMC RETIRED
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
wquiles

Post by wquiles »

GREAT job on the Mule scales - I also love the slight ergonomic changes you made to the mule blade :D

And yes, I am liking M390 a lot as well!

Will
xavierdoc

Post by xavierdoc »

Rossi wrote:Xav, watch your back mate. In the first pic it looks like there's a bear creeping up on you. :eek: :D
Mr.Sparkitle wrote:The first picture looks like you are about to be eaten by what ever is crashing in from the top right.
Thankfully that's my faithful hound!
UKPK G10, UKPK Ti, Para 2CF&20CP, Stretch CF, Stretch CF conv, Manix2 M4,Endura Wave, Endura ZDP189, Pacific Salt, Captain, Gunting S30v, P'Kal, Gayle Bradley,Atlantic Salt, Spyderhawk, Crossbill, Wings slipit
Mules: CTSBD1, Super Blue, S90V, VG10, S35VN, Cos-3, M390 Fixed: Bushcraft, Warrior