Buy Sprints, then Flip Them at a Profit?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Would you ever buy a Spyderco just to flip it?

I routinely flip my spydies
8%
I have flipped a spydie
20%
I would flip a spydie
33%
I wouldn't flip a spydie, and will explain why
39%

Total votes: 169

jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:I can't believe the capacity of some people to fool themselves that they are liked...
Is there a club we should be trying to get into? Who's on the inside? Do tell, who is liked?
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

gaj999 wrote:I read it. This jumped out at me: "... this isn't exactly like stockpiling and selling penicillin to a suffering village at a mark-up"

Clearly, you're missing my entire point, because the two are exactly the same. That you feel that either one is somehow bad merely highlights your ignorance. If it's all the same to you, please don't defend my point, you're making me look bad. :p

Yes, I've been drinking, quite a lot tonight actually, so I'll just apologize in advance for my attitude
. My position will be the same tomorrow, but I'll probably be much less obnoxious. I'm pretty much done here anyway, trying to teach simple economics to people who didn't learn it as children is hopeless anyway and I do know better. My bad. Blame it on the tequila.

Gordon

How is a luxury good the same as a necessity? The fact is a folding knife being turned for profit is NOT exactly the same thing as a medicinal good being held out of reach from a suffering villager.

[rage edit]
phaust

Post by phaust »

I've never bought a knife to sell it. In fact I've never sold a knife that was unused.

Still, I don't see flipping them as any worse than buying one as a safe queen. In either case, you've bought one that could have gone to someone who'd use it. In fact, that might even be worse because at least the flippers offer them to those who'd buy it for use.

That said, I don't have a problem with any purpose for which a sprint might be bought. Sprints are a luxury, not a necessity, so I'm not sure I fully understand the anger directed at flippers.
nirvanero

Post by nirvanero »

I don't flip knives even if I had the chance of getting a pair of rare ones. I'm not against someone selling a knife because he changed his mind as it's been said, but I think something is going really wrong when next day a sprint run is released you see this guy selling a pair and trying to make $150 of each... and if we talk about Hinderer, prices get just crazy stupid.

I understand people making profit as this is part of the collecting game but I wish it could be controlled somehow by the manufacturers.
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

Blerv wrote:How is a luxury good the same as a necessity? The fact is a folding knife being turned for profit is NOT exactly the same thing as a medicinal good being held out of reach from a suffering villager.
Go learn some economics. Then we can talk.
Blerv wrote:Often people who say things like "because the two are exactly the same." are generalizing with absolutes to try and act intelligent.
Your logic applies beautifully to this statement. I'll take your word for it that you're trying to act intelligent. Try harder, it's not working. ;)
Blerv wrote:It just makes you an *** who can't hold your liquor nor your logic.
In the morning I'll be sober. You'll still be ignorant.

Gordon
BuffaloBill

Post by BuffaloBill »

If people would stop giving into flippers and paying these ridiculous prices they wouldnt be so high.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
^Click (needs updating)
Slash

Post by Slash »

If every knife was perfect and unlimited stock. Then, there would be no reason to ever sell them.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I've never bought a sprint run to flip, but I have purchased discontinued knives to sell a year or two down the road for whatever price eBay determines they're worth. I don't feel bad about it because the discontinued knives are easily available in quantity when I buy them, so I'm not depriving anyone of getting their grubby little paws on one.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

As the proud purchaser/owner of Joe's S90V millie, I will confirm that - still loving that knife Joe, it now shares EDC rotation with my M390 millie. Joe made out OK on that knife, but I was happy to pay every penny, and I could tell he was pained to let it go. Knowing that it went to help out his pup now only gives it more meaning.
Dave, I'm happy you are getting use from the knife. It was one of the best I've ever had and I'm glad it went to someone who can appreciate it and use it. Selling it helped pay for a laser surgery Finn had on a deep abscess that would eventually have killed him. I've got another one coming up but he keeps getting sick right before I can get him in for the operation. He's already 3 and a half years older than my last mastiff made it too. It's a warning to anybody who loves the giant breed dogs. Lots of health problems as they age, and everything is a lot more expensive because they go by weight so medicines are about 3 -4 times as much for a 200 lb dog than it would be for a 50 lb dog.

Finn has been worth it. Best family I've had. :)

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
nakahoshi

Post by nakahoshi »

Jay_Ev wrote:After reading through the thread, it has shown me the true colors of the forum and how people will not hesitate to take advantage of another person (even other fellow forum members) and bend them over without a second thought and without batting an eye. Perhaps times have changed, as coming to this forum has never made me feel this way until lately.
Sometimes you have to pay to play, no one is forcing anyone to pay top dollar for anything. Its easy to get a sprint run if you do a little research and plan ahead.

Also,

Has anyone seen the price listed lately for the Orange PM2 on Cutlery Shoppe? It might surprise you.

(I know they are sold out)

-Bobby
Slash

Post by Slash »

Buy Sprints, then Flip Them at a Profit?

Good way to finance heavy duty Benchmade knives that I'm not afraid of using w/o breaking off the tip.

JK, I also use my Spydies. They're great for removing splinters.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

nakahoshi wrote:Sometimes you have to pay to play, no one is forcing anyone to pay top dollar for anything. Its easy to get a sprint run if you do a little research and plan ahead.

Also,

Has anyone seen the price listed lately for the Orange PM2 on Cutlery Shoppe? It might surprise you.

(I know they are sold out)

-Bobby
No surprise at all, and that price was posted from the very beginning. It's the MSRP, and the reason it's still there, and the discount price isn't, is because CS doesn't have any more for sale.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

DedRok wrote:I don't sell things on the internet, just buy.

Although, it would be cooler if only "fans" got the sprints.

The Ferrari Enzo wasn't available to anyone, Ferrari chose customers who were repeat customers that respected the brand. That way, the people who appreciated them the most got them. :cool:

That would just mean the fattest wallets got access to sprints, not necessarily the people who appreciated them the most. In the end the flippers are the ones who would likely get all the sprints since they'd be making all the money off flipping them. Then we would only be able to get sprints FROM flippers, so this idea would do just the opposite of what it sounds like it would do.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Benny90

Post by Benny90 »

This thread has certainly brought out some 'colors'...

Just like everything else worth money there will always be someone looking to make money on it. That being said, there are just too many other items I would rather flip than knives as I enjoy them too much.
:spyder: SPYDERCO: C81GPBK2 - ParaMilitary 2 / C11PSBBK - Delica 4 / LBKS3 - Ladybug 3 / C138P - Grasshopper :spyder:

- Black on Black Spydeco's! :cool:
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

If the sole intent of buying multiple sprint runs is to make money, it is rude and distasteful. The intent of the individual IMO determines the morality of the argument.

Like the Mule team effort Spyderco tries to treat their customers to new and different models and materials. When an indiivual takes that genoerosity and exploits it for their personal gain selfishly it undermines what Spyderco is trying to do. I think Spyderco is trying to spread knowledge of good knives and materials, they make money, but they have to in order to stay in business.

If an individual buys a half dozen popular sprint run models and sells all but one at very inflated prices for profit and selfishly, they undermine what Spyderco is trying to do for the knife afi. If these individuals want to become Spyderco dealers they should do so in broad daylight.

Selfishness and greed will meet it's own end over time............................
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
markg

Post by markg »

Art_vandeley wrote:Question to those marked speculators: Is there a reason the Dodo is having a hard time selling? I saw several FT threads for Dodos, and they are still up after being listed 2 weeks ago. Same for trade. Is the demand so low after the initial hype?
It is the "Forum Effect.."
75 people on a forum all clamor for something, giving us the impression there is way more demand for something than there is in reality.

The Dodo has always has a lot going for it, and a lot working against it. It is a functional and ergonomic knife. However its radical appearance is just too much for the conventional buyer to get past.

I don't have one, why? The street price is more than my interest for the knife. If it were between $100-120 I might bite on it. The more it gets over $150 the less I am interested.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

This has been an educational thread. I've learned that buying a Spyderco knife with the intent to resell is exactly like withholding food, water, medicine and shelter from disaster victims by massively raising the prices. Although we were assured that this practice, despite being illegal in most states, is not only not evil but is the most moral thing a person holding needed supplies can do. Also that the presence of anyone on a forum that would buy a knife to sell at a profit renders that forum a den of evil that the righteous should flee. Also too, that Stalin and Hitler both got their starts flipping Spydies.

And you know what that led to.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

dbcad wrote:If the sole intent of buying multiple sprint runs is to make money, it is rude and distasteful. The intent of the individual IMO determines the morality of the argument.

Like the Mule team effort Spyderco tries to treat their customers to new and different models and materials. When an indiivual takes that genoerosity and exploits it for their personal gain selfishly it undermines what Spyderco is trying to do. I think Spyderco is trying to spread knowledge of good knives and materials, they make money, but they have to in order to stay in business.

If an individual buys a half dozen popular sprint run models and sells all but one at very inflated prices for profit and selfishly, they undermine what Spyderco is trying to do for the knife afi. If these individuals want to become Spyderco dealers they should do so in broad daylight.

Selfishness and greed will meet it's own end over time............................
]

That's the best written post about that. Kudos on how you expressed it dbcad.
zidfeldts

Post by zidfeldts »

I would buy all the sprint PM2s that I could find but it is hard to convince anyone to ship to Canada and it is a pain to preorder and wait. I would dearly love to have some of the new sprints but I haven't managed yet. Waiting for one to come up at a decent price keeps me looking and drooling.
spyderdog

Post by spyderdog »

Sequimite wrote:This has been an educational thread. I've learned that buying a Spyderco knife with the intent to resell is exactly like withholding food, water, medicine and shelter from disaster victims by massively raising the prices. Although we were assured that this practice, despite being illegal in most states, is not only not evil but is the most moral thing a person holding needed supplies can do. Also that the presence of anyone on a forum that would buy a knife to sell at a profit renders that forum a den of evil that the righteous should flee. Also too, that Stalin and Hitler both got their starts flipping Spydies.

And you know what that led to.

now this is funny :) I find this whole thread amusing actually....the talk of taking advantage of the "less fortunate", the immorality of selling a sprint to make a few bucks, the taking of a knife out of a potential users hands, etc etc etc. ..... that's all I'll say. "Amusing" pretty much sums it up :)