Buy Sprints, then Flip Them at a Profit?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Would you ever buy a Spyderco just to flip it?

I routinely flip my spydies
8%
I have flipped a spydie
20%
I would flip a spydie
33%
I wouldn't flip a spydie, and will explain why
39%

Total votes: 169

kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

MachSchnell wrote:I've sold a couple sprints due to them not seeing much pocket time/use. Sold 'em used and for a reasonable price.
I choose "I would flip..." and that is what I took that choice to mean. Not bought with the intent of reselling it, but if it isn't a good fit for me, I have no qualms in setting it free. All that said, I think I've actually sold two knives and given away 5 in my life. Am I a "flipper"? Not in my mind. ;)

Ken
玉鋼
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I detest speculators.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I don't usually buy more than one of any knife, but the couple times I've owned two of the same model, I've traded the extra. A sprint for a long discontinued model. Everyone was happy, no one taken advantage of.

I've also sold several that just didn't work for me, but my prices are based on trying to recoup what I paid, not necessarily what the market will bear.
:bug-red-white
Donut

Post by Donut »

I don't think I would just for profit, but I wouldn't put it past me.

I have ordered extras with no plan on what I am/was going to do with them. I ordered an extra Orange Para and my plan is to put it up for trade to see what kind of trade options it gives me.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Greed is common these days. I find no issue with those buying two or three to just have spares. My opinion on those who buy multiples just to make a profit the first week might be politically incorrect.

More so on those who obviously buy to flip and yet have the gall to say "it just wasn't for me". Yeh, riiiiiight....

But I guess their money is just as green to the dealer. :p
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

I have flipped before. And others I didn't flip. Depends. It's always going to exist. No matter how we lable or detest "flippers". In a market where we buy from online vendors sight unseen. I am glad there are avenues I can use to get my money back. Just my .02. Now let's get him. :) Whatever. --- Yawns to himself.
Rossi

Post by Rossi »

I detest people who take advantage of the market and flip for as much profit as possible, especially if they don't even collect knives themselves, and are just doing it for the money.

Genuine knifenuts missing out on sprints because people (again, especially if they aren't into knives themselves) are buying them up to flip really pisses me off.

Not an honest way to make a living IMO. Might be legal but it stinks.
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

Rossi wrote: Genuine knifenuts missing out on sprints because people (again, especially if they aren't into knives themselves) are buying them up to flip really pisses me off.
To be fair, I think we should, based on your comment, include people who buy more than 1 of any sprint then. You know the folks that use one and keep one in the safe. Why stop there, let's include the collectors. Both groups are taking rare knifes out of circulation, leaving "knifenuts" in the lurch without there shot at the latest sprint run.
Rossi

Post by Rossi »

jtoler_9 wrote:To be fair, I think we should, based on your comment, include people who buy more than 1 of any sprint then. You know the folks that use one and keep one in the safe. Why stop there, let's include the collectors. Both groups are taking rare knifes out of circulation, leaving "knifenuts" in the lurch without there shot at the latest sprint run.
I don't. I would certainly call a collector a "knifenut". My comment was based on people who aren't even into knives, taking advantage of the market.

I think "based on your comment" you are probably a profit "flipper" and are trying to justify it to yourself :p
sir_mike

Post by sir_mike »

Quite a few times, I will buy two of a certain knife but my thinking is that I use one and put one away for a backup. That being said, if I decide I dont like the knife, then I will sell it and the backup one but normally to fund something else. I go thru alot of knives as I am always looking for the perfect one! LOL

I dont think it is flipping but sometimes I do think that I will buy two and sell one for a small profit just to make the one I got alittle cheaper but I wont sell it for the high premium like on Ebay! I am much more likely to trade the second one away for something else I think I want so mine are more of a bartering thing then flipping!

I have users and also collect some. I just sold most of my collection and started to collect sprint run PM2's and the ones I have so far, I paid so what of premium on because I missed the preorders but I just like I wont sell them for the highest premium, I wont buy them for the highest premium either!
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

To answer the title, no, I have never bought a Sprint Spydie in order to resell it.

To answer the poll, yes, I often buy Spydies in order to resell, trade or as gifts. I've picked up dozens of Endura trainers @ $12, Dayhikers and Foragers @ $69, Sage 1's for $64, etc. Just last weekend I bought 3 Spyderco knives for $310 and expect to sell them for around $1000. Churning knives is the only way I can afford to buy the Spydies I want.

I have also bought 2 Mules to get free shipping with the idea that I would sell one down the road.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

Rossi wrote:I think "based on your comment" you are probably a profit "flipper" and are trying to justify it to yourself :p
Not probably. I am at times. Course I already told you that a few posts ago. What I do with my property is really none of your **** business. But since we subscribe to the forum I thought I would provide a counterpoint to discuss. No need to "justify" anything to myself. I really don't give a rats A## what you think about what I do in my free time.
Rossi

Post by Rossi »

jtoler_9 wrote:Not probably. I am at times. Course I already told you that a few posts ago. Course what I do with my property is really none of your **** business. But since we subscribe to the forum I thought I would provide a counterpoint to discuss. No need to "justify" anything to myself. I really don't give a rats A## what you think about what I do in my free time.

Reading that comment it sure looks like you do give a ras A##

Anyway my comment was lighthearted hence the - :p - no need to get upset about it. Sorry if you're offended, it wasn't my intention :)
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Nevermind...
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Then we get hostility...
The dude called me out personally. What's a guy to do? Hostility is over on my end. Sorry for the temporary turrets.
Sht

Post by Sht »

Only if I did not like or have use for the knife.
Gayle Bradley
Bob lum tanto sprint
Milie camo
Para2 camo
Manix2 moonglow
Tasman salt
Tenacious (the whole lineup)
Kiwi SS

Knives at all times
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

i actually never bought my Spydercos to sell, i just had tons of mo ey at one point and bought over 300 spydies, they sat in their boxes for 2 years, lost my job and sold most of them except the delica collection, turned out though that the sprint and discontinued ones brought the most money, some even more than doubled.

but it can be done correctly id you seek out the right ones.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

RIOT wrote:i actually never bought my Spydercos to sell, i just had tons of mo ey at one point and bought over 300 spydies, they sat in their boxes for 2 years, lost my job and sold most of them except the delica collection, turned out though that the sprint and discontinued ones brought the most money, some even more than doubled.

but it can be done correctly id you seek out the right ones.
I'd say you just got lucky. Not at all the kind of seller that a lot of people are disgusted with.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

wrdwrght wrote:I detest speculators.
Right on. Uncle Joe and Chairman Mao knew exactly how to deal with people like that.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

jtoler_9 wrote:Not probably. I am at times. Course I already told you that a few posts ago. What I do with my property is really none of your **** business. But since we subscribe to the forum I thought I would provide a counterpoint to discuss. No need to "justify" anything to myself. I really don't give a rats A## what you think about what I do in my free time.
Interesting story, maybe, from my work life. I've worked with a very well-know and well-regarded financial services company for years. When they buy securities in private offerings, they will not make a representation that they are buying for for investment purposes (i.e., buy and hold) without a view to reselling. Instead, they represent that at the time they made the decision to purchase it was for investment purposes but the control (i.e., the decision to sell) of their property remains subject to their discretion. I always thought that was a nice balance. I have something else to say...separate post, though.