Paramilitary 2 blade length

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
iyn

Paramilitary 2 blade length

Post by iyn »

Just wondering if the popularity of the paramilitary 2 was more the increase in blade length or the other features. Would you have bought the paramilitary 2 if they kept the blade length the same as the previous?
SpydieFan

Post by SpydieFan »

I would have bought it even if the blade length was shorter... I think the biggest difference in the two is the quality/added features more than the blade length.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:spyder:|Spyderco Bug|Spyderco Kiwi3|Spyderco H1 Salt|Spyderco Para Military 2 Black Blade DigiCam + STR Pocket Clip| :spyder:

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

Seen there is still some room left between the scales I would like to see the blade a little longer.
Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE
jossta

Post by jossta »

Ergonomic/functional Improvements and lower price seem like they would have a bigger effect than a little more blade although I'm sure it doesn't hurt.
sir_mike

Post by sir_mike »

I like that fact that the blade is about 3 inches and that is why I never bought a Military as those blades are just too long.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

It probably had more to do with the handle slimming and 4-way clip. Most mainstream folks don't dig tip-down carry.
sir_mike

Post by sir_mike »

Blerv wrote:It probably had more to do with the handle slimming and 4-way clip. Most mainstream folks don't dig tip-down carry.
Yeah, that is true! I forgot to mention that. I too prefer the four way option as I always carry tip up!
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

I may be the minority but I always prefered the shorter blade and old style military clip tip down only.

The improved ergos (no hump interfering with where my pinkie rests) is what won me over. Enough so that I plan on filing down the G10 on my old Digicam Para 1 to try and match the new handle. Retrofitting an old millie clip is beyond my skills and inclination otherwaise that would be on the list as well.

A better price is alos a huge factor.
SpydieFan

Post by SpydieFan »

sir_mike wrote:Yeah, that is true! I forgot to mention that. I too prefer the four way option as I always carry tip up!
I always tip-up carry as well... because I find it so much faster to deploy... and if I have a knife with a flipper, it is faster with that too because I can put my finger on the outside of the pants and "follow" the flipper up as I pull it out.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:spyder:|Spyderco Bug|Spyderco Kiwi3|Spyderco H1 Salt|Spyderco Para Military 2 Black Blade DigiCam + STR Pocket Clip| :spyder:

Benny90

Post by Benny90 »

It was the combination of their CQ improvements that made this blade what it is. They all combine to make one of the most comfortable to hold, strongest locking, and excellent blade of any folder I have had the chance to put my hands on.

The fact that the blade increased in length I see as a plus as it fills out the handle better. I will find it tough to find one that fits in my hand as well as the PM2, it's almost like it was molded for em. :D
:spyder: SPYDERCO: C81GPBK2 - ParaMilitary 2 / C11PSBBK - Delica 4 / LBKS3 - Ladybug 3 / C138P - Grasshopper :spyder:

- Black on Black Spydeco's! :cool:
GCG199

Post by GCG199 »

The 4-way pocket clip carry did it for me.

Definitely one of Spyderco's best designs.

Easy to see why it is so popular.
My favorite Spyderco knives include: Caly 3.5, Chaparral, Delica 4 FFG, Stretch, Para-Military 2, Endura 4 FFG, Manix 2 & Manix 2 XL!

TANSTAAFL
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Blerv wrote:It probably had more to do with the handle slimming and 4-way clip. Most mainstream folks don't dig tip-down carry.
Who you callin' "Mainstream", Blerv? :rolleyes:

TedP
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

People who think the "Spydie drop" is some kind of club dance :p . jk

No seriously, just the average person these days. No poke at the quirky, old fashion, or youngsters. Just most the current knife folks prefer tip-up.

Note: I carry both configs. My main beef with tip down is jimping makes it uncomfortable to access the rest of the pocket.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

iyn wrote:Just wondering if the popularity of the paramilitary 2 was more the increase in blade length or the other features. Would you have bought the paramilitary 2 if they kept the blade length the same as the previous?
When the Para 2 came out, the blade length was what kept me from buying it. I was carrying the original Para and was only comfortable with a 3 inch blade. I adjusted to the blade length because i liked everything else about it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
sir_mike

Post by sir_mike »

Evil D wrote:When the Para 2 came out, the blade length was what kept me from buying it. I was carrying the original Para and was only comfortable with a 3 inch blade. I adjusted to the blade length because i liked everything else about it.
To me the Para 2 still is 3 inches as the bottom chimping for the finger cut into the blade so it really is about 3 inch blade length.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

sir_mike wrote:To me the Para 2 still is 3 inches as the bottom chimping for the finger cut into the blade so it really is about 3 inch blade length.
True as that may be, the law usually sees it differently. They'll measure from the handle and call it 3.5.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
iyn

Post by iyn »

akaAK wrote:I may be the minority but I always prefered the shorter blade and old style military clip tip down only.

The improved ergos (no hump interfering with where my pinkie rests) is what won me over. Enough so that I plan on filing down the G10 on my old Digicam Para 1 to try and match the new handle. Retrofitting an old millie clip is beyond my skills and inclination otherwaise that would be on the list as well.

A better price is alos a huge factor.
I'm in the minority too, if they kept the same blade lenght, I would have bought it. I regret selling my para 1.
SpydieFan

Post by SpydieFan »

Evil D wrote:True as that may be, the law usually sees it differently. They'll measure from the handle and call it 3.5.
But it's 3.44... They can't argue against MFG specs... If they measure it, and it's 3.5" and not 3.44 like it's supposed to be, it falls on Spyderco to be liable for that.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

JNewell

Post by JNewell »

SpydieFan wrote:But it's 3.44... They can't argue against MFG specs... If they measure it, and it's 3.5" and not 3.44 like it's supposed to be, it falls on Spyderco to be liable for that.
Not a chance. If you carry it, you own it, and responsibility for it, in every way.
SpydieFan

Post by SpydieFan »

JNewell wrote:Not a chance. If you carry it, you own it, and responsibility for it, in every way.
Nooooo... Sorry I wasn't being clear. The PM2 does not have a 3.5" blade... it has a 3.44" blade. That is what the specs say, that is what it should be, and that is what it is. So if someone gets in trouble for it, take it to court... specs don't lie.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]