New to Spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bonesmalones

New to Spyderco

Post by bonesmalones »

Hello All,

I am fairly new to Spyderco, and knife collecting in general. I picked up a Benchmade folder a while ago and was impressed with the quality which led me to do more research on knives. The Spyderco name popped up quite a bit in my online research so I decided to buy one of the Bill Moran fixed blades. WOW. What a wonderful knife! This, of course prompted me to continue doing my research, and I then found great reviews on the Temperance 2. I tried to make myself wait and save up the money, but lacking the discipline, I ordered one today from Amazon. Can't wait to get it! I'm afraid I've been bitten by the "Spyder".

Bones
bonesmalones

Post by bonesmalones »

I've also been checking out the Manix 2 XL. Can I muster the discipline this time?????
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

Don't fight the :spyder: :D

Welcome to the forum

Dan
:spyder:
Dan
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Welcome to the forums :) !
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Might as well resign yourself........all resistance is futile :D Once bitten, the remedy is costly and it seems there is no cure. Welcome to the forum, great folks and knives. :spyder:
Azwaiian

Post by Azwaiian »

Welcome to the Forum!

I did a lot of YouTube research when I decided to start buying knives. I noticed that Spyderco seemed to be the knife company that dominated the knife and EDC videos. Took a chance and bought two Spydies and I've never looked back. :D

Enjoy your time here.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Bonbes,

Welcome to the Spyderco forum. Hope you enjoy your time spent here.

sal
_Spydieman_

Post by _Spydieman_ »

Welcome, bonesmalones.

It's is a great addiction you have just unleashed. :D
iyn

Post by iyn »

congratulations!
pablo7

Post by pablo7 »

Wecome to the Forum........
:spyder: S90V~C36CF90VP
:spyder: VG-10~C10PBK
:spyder: VG-10~C10PSBBK
:spyder: VG-10~C28PET
:spyder: M390V~C36CFM390P

:spyder:Comming Soon/VG-10 spin:spyder::mad::mad::mad:
http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... -Spin-Pics
Donut

Post by Donut »

Welcome to the forum, I hope it treats you well.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Welcome to the forums. I think you'll enjoy your time here. While I don't have a Temp 2 yet, I've have my eye on it for quite some time and plan on eventually adding it to my collection.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
BAL

Post by BAL »

Welcome bonesmalone. It looks like you have been bitten. There are
tons of choices, especially if you start looking into the folders. Enjoy.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Welcome to the forum Bones. You seem to be interested in fixed blades and larger folders. Allow me to give you an early tip. Gayle Bradley. Sage4. Two of my personal favorites. Neither are really big knives but definately tough. Oh yeah, the Manix2 models. You've already noticed the big one which I've never seen yet but the "normal" size ones I have and will swear by them. Great feel in the hand, variety of blade steels, etc. Some may be hard to find now though. The production model in 154CM, hollow ground blade is a great knife IMO. I would recommend the Manix2 with FFG, CPM-M4 steel blade myself. They are available still. Great steel (same steel in the Gayle Bradley). Very strong folders in a range of choices and prices. Lots of small knife options as well. One thing about Spyderco is the selection is wide enough to provide something in about every category you can come up with IMO. No real need to look to other companies. I say no need because there are some great knives out there that aren't Spyderco but I can't think of a company that provides the selection that Spyderco does. Again, my opinion. And you can always count on quality and great support from the company if need be.

Feel free to ask opinions of the people here who have used a knife you are considering, especially if you don't have a way to hold a knife before you buy. I don't have any knife stores close so I depend on advertisement descriptions, opinions of people here, then the Inet for purchasing. Folks here are honest. If you ask about knife "A", some will like it and some won't but they'll explain why so you can decide if their reasons would apply to you. Next best thing to handling a knife personally.

About any spyder bite, addiction, etc. You can resist but it usually involves straight jackets and padded cells. Take your pick, Manix2 XL or loose your sanity. It's your decision. :D OTOH, some of us have picked the knife and lost our sanity as well. :confused: :)

Jack
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

Welcome to the forum Bones and one of the coolest hobbies if not a way of life on this planet. There's a lot to learn here and friends to be made. Have fun doing so.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
bonesmalones

Post by bonesmalones »

I'm overwhelmed and impressed with the greeting I've received in this forum. Most impressive was the welcome from Sal. Anytime a man that owns the company takes the time to read these posts and respond to every newcomer, that's a sign you've picked the right people. Notice I said people not product. This is how you build customer loyalty. Plus Spyderco is in the USA and it MAKES quality things. We need a lot more of that. FYI I grew up in Westminster and went to Red Rocks Community College right there in Golden. A homeboy. That's me.