YOUR favorite lock. Please tell why.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Which is your favorite lock? Even non-Spyderco locks.

Liner lock (Walker)
13%
Frame lock (RIL)
9%
Bolt action lock
1%
Back lock
15%
Compression lock
44%
Arc-Lock (SOG)
No votes
Axis lock
9%
Non-locking (just being thorough)
1%
Other
8%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 246

skatenut

Post by skatenut »

Compression lock and CBBL. They seem to be the locks with the smoothest, easiest operation on my spydies. The blade of one Para 2 falls open or closed by it's own weight when I press the lock tab.
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

My personal favorite is the comp lock for all the good reasons of Spyderco design and when you get good for easiest one hand closing of any Spydie lock. For a reasonably close second, I like the liner locks since still easy to close one handed and I dont have to explain how to close it to most folks. The comp lock take some explanation that I dont want to do anymore unless they are interested...
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
Rossi

Post by Rossi »

RIL for me. I like the com lock too but they have a tendency to stick, although so do some RIL's. So sticky locks FTW :D
_Spydieman_

Post by _Spydieman_ »

I chose Compression due primarily to its simplicity and handiness.

I chose back-lock for its solid feel.
Prospero

Post by Prospero »

Compression Lock. It's strong, simple, safe, and easy to use (plus it's fun to play around with :D ). I must admit that Spyderco has allowed me to gain a new respect for Back Lock designs. Previously, I had considered them old technology and possibly unsafe (through anecdotal stories) but in my limited experience with Delicas and Enduras I find them to be reliable in all my daily uses.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Back lock-easiest to use. Good strength, reliability.
Runner-up is compression lock.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
A.P.F.

Post by A.P.F. »

Liner lock for me. It is simple, doesn't spoil the knife's looks and it is second nature for me to use.

Plus, the way that Spyderco makes them, the liner locks are very secure.
Regards, Al

The "soul" of hi-tech materials like G-10, H1, ZDP, Titanium, carbon fiber, etc is found in the performance. That appreciation of the "spirit" comes out in time, after use. It's saying, you can depend on me! I'm there for you no matter what! - Sal Glesser
fredswartz

Post by fredswartz »

At the moment I like the ball bearing lock.
Liner lock is next although I have had problems in
the past with over travel of the locking
bar on the tang (Khalsa). I also like the
Axis lock and the Reeves Intregal lock.
willydigger

Post by willydigger »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:I chose the liner lock. For some reason I have always liked it despite the fact that it is not always the most lefty friendly. However, when it is done like it was in the GB I will always choose that one.

I do like the compression lock...but only if it were put on the other side of the knife.
Bingo.

Liner lock all the way. I tried a backlock on the Native 5 and it was okay. It was even better because of the pivot bushing. I really tried to like it, but I never did. Every time I used it, it was like kissing my sister.

The liner lock is fantastic for me. I'm a lefty with knives and the liner and scale cut is perfect since generally the opening is set up for righties and thumb flicks. I finger flick so it lines up just right. I have no problem with one handed closing. I never worry about my fingers in the way.

There isn't the constant pressure during deployment like the backlock that makes the knife super stiff. It flies open.

Coming in a close second in the compression lock, but as DeathBySnooSnoo said, it is more difficult to wield left handed. If I were a righty it would win outright.

To be fair, I don't have a lot of experience with other locks. I do like the ball bearing in the Dodo too, but it can't compare to liner.

Worst lock IMO, frame lock/RIL followed by back lock. I just think the frame lock looks terrible and the back lock is too stiff.
Swick3 • Blue Lava • Orange Dodo • Persistence • Techno
No Longer Own - Dragonfly 2 G10 • Sage 1 • PM2 • Cat S30V G10 Custom • Orange FRN Dragonfly • Native 5 G10• Foliage Smallfly
gdwtvb

Post by gdwtvb »

RIL. I used to carry a Sebenza and now I carry a Sage 2. Never had a problem with either. I haven't used all of the others but the RIL or framelock was the first one I found that I could easily close with one hand. The backlock coming in at a close second.

The only lock I don't like is the Walker Liner Lock. I had a Buck crosslock with a liner lock fail on me. I haven't been able to bring myself to try another one since then, even though I know they can be made correctly.

I guess I fall into the if it ain't broke don't fix it mentality. I have no desire to try out different locks because my two favorites have never let me down.

Grizz
Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger »

Compression Lock: Because, I said so. :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
A.P.F.

Post by A.P.F. »

gdwtvb wrote:RIL. I used to carry a Sebenza and now I carry a Sage 2. Never had a problem with either. I haven't used all of the others but the RIL or framelock was the first one I found that I could easily close with one hand. The backlock coming in at a close second.

The only lock I don't like is the Walker Liner Lock. I had a Buck crosslock with a liner lock fail on me. I haven't been able to bring myself to try another one since then, even though I know they can be made correctly.

I guess I fall into the if it ain't broke don't fix it mentality. I have no desire to try out different locks because my two favorites have never let me down.

Grizz
The Crosslock was notorious for lock failures. It was Buck's implementation of the liner lock that was the problem, not the lock style itself.
Regards, Al

The "soul" of hi-tech materials like G-10, H1, ZDP, Titanium, carbon fiber, etc is found in the performance. That appreciation of the "spirit" comes out in time, after use. It's saying, you can depend on me! I'm there for you no matter what! - Sal Glesser
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Liner or frame lock: Easiest and quickest closing. Plenty strong for me.
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

A.P.F. wrote:The Crosslock was notorious for lock failures. It was Buck's implementation of the liner lock that was the problem, not the lock style itself.
I also gave up using liner lock knives for many years after a Chinese made knife brand folder sporting one failed on me. Simply goes to show that not all liner locks are the same.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I'll always like the back lock/front/mid lock. I grew up with it as the upgrade on the knives I couldn't mostly afford. On Spydercos, especially the FRN Endura I can open it and get it into use from my pocket faster than I can any of my autos. That's with the nerve damage in my arm & hand I had surgery for that will never be right again. Repitition, and more repitition and years of use.

Next favorite is the Comp. lock, followed by the "frame lock" then the liner lock and various copies plus the original of the "axis" lock. Doziers "tab" lock is an interesting version of the liner lock.

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

Locks are way down the list of things I care much about. Pretty much anything works for me, but I give a slight edge to the mid back lock because it's easy to close one handed with either hand, safe, simple, and way stronger than I need.

Gordon
MCM

Post by MCM »

Dont shoot me here..........
Axis then Liner/frame locks.
Just my 2.
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
computernut

Post by computernut »

Bolt Action Lock (Sage3) for me. Buttery smooth and locks up tight with a click.
Ukelay

Post by Ukelay »

skatenut wrote:Compression lock and CBBL. They seem to be the locks with the smoothest, easiest operation on my spydies. The blade of one Para 2 falls open or closed by it's own weight when I press the lock tab.
+1

My thoughts exactly. I like the comp lock and CBBL for just how smooth they are.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I chose the CBBL because it's the most fun to play with and about as strong as anything else could be. Also, the Manix2 is probably my favorite platform. That said, I have always carried the lockback/midlock and my first several spydies used them, and you can lessen the detent on any non-SS blade with a squeeze of the lockspring. I have had some issues with liners and sometimes RILs from other makers (usually cheapies, but some were halfway decent and locks failed within a fairly short period) but rather like the Spyderco versions of both. Thinking of really putting my Ti/M4 mili to real use so I can stop being a wimp and enjoy one of the by-popular-opinion "grail knives" (I have no qualms about using anything else, but this mili is both beautiful and certain to get some "character" on it with even a day of carry). The Tenacious and Navaja are smooth and quick knives with great action and I trust them to last indefinitely.

I don't have a compression lock yet but I'm pretty certain that once I finally get a YoJo2 or PM2 I will love it as well.

In the end, I think that every locking spydie I have used has had a good lock for its design with effective ergos and reliable performance, sometimes when pushed harder than they ought to be pushed.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!