YOUR favorite lock. Please tell why.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Which is your favorite lock? Even non-Spyderco locks.

Liner lock (Walker)
13%
Frame lock (RIL)
9%
Bolt action lock
1%
Back lock
15%
Compression lock
44%
Arc-Lock (SOG)
No votes
Axis lock
9%
Non-locking (just being thorough)
1%
Other
8%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 246

iyn

Post by iyn »

Back lock is my favorite. I can transition to my weak hand open and closing.
wvguy8258

Post by wvguy8258 »

Compression and ball bearing locks.

The thought to put something directly between the rear tang and a stop is very elegant, and it is easy to see why it is so strong.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Blerv wrote:My favorite by FAR is the uncaged Ball Bearing Lock.

It's strong and one-hand operable if you use your thumb nail. It's very smooth an IMHO the most aestheticially beautiful of all locks.
I must agree. The CBBL and BBL were the "tractor-beam" that truly drew me away from the Axis lock obsession that I was having in 2006.
I think they are both functional and beautiful. I must admit the compression lock is gaining favor with me the more I use it, but it has a long road ahead before it passes either of the Ball-bearings in my experience.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
SuzieQ

Post by SuzieQ »

I put in my vote for non-locking because it's so uncomplicated in use. No fingers between blade and handle, no fiddling with any lock of any kind. My second favorite is probably the BBL on my Manix 2 Lightweight. Now that's actually a lock even I can close single handedly without causing any damage or twisting my fingers weirdly in unhealthy positions. Don't like liner locks because putting my thumb under a wicked sharp blade intentionally freaks me out a bit. Back locks are okay but I'm only rarely able to close them with one hand. I'm really looking forward to the Para2 and the compression lock. Looks interesting.
She: Did you say pink :spyder: sprint run?! - He: Yeah. - She: Wow, wouldn't this go great with my purple Delica?! - He: ? - :D

:spyder: Delica 4 FFG purple ::: Dragonfly Salt Yellow SE ::: Ladybug Foliage Green PE ::: UK Penknife Safety Orange G-10 ::: Byrd Robin G-10 PE ::: Delica 4 FFG pink - modded to non-locking ::: Squeak ::: Grasshopper ::: Kiwi - got snagged by the husband ::: Endura 4 FFG Orange ::: Delica ZDP-189 ::: Centofante 4 ::: Byrd Tern ::: Manix 2 Blue Lightweight :spyder:
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

Compression.
It works. Strong, secure lock. Easy one-hand operation. No fingers in blade path while manipulating lock. Easy to keep debris out. No coil spring.
2cha

Post by 2cha »

Compression lock #1 b/c simple and absurdly strong.

BBL, CBBL and axis lock close thereafter.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I did a search on "compression" on the Spyderco site to get a list of knives with that lock. I got a list but I also got something I haven't seen before. There were diagrams of how the compression lock, front lock and liner lock knives are assembled. I had never seen this before. I thought this was really good. I did a search on "back lock" and "ball bearing" but there weren't any diagrams.

Compression search:
http://www.spyderco.com/search/index.php

Jack
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Voted comp lock as others have stated: Fairly simple, easy to operate, pretty ambi in the long run, open construction is always a plus, can't see a practical way of the lock failing with normal use of a knife. I also like spydercos lock backs because some of my favorite knives feature them the kris being one. Of course if they made a comp lock kris i would purchase that as well. I know Ed's original custom kris featured a liner lock i just thought it was funny spyderco made it into as lockback
SuperFist

Post by SuperFist »

Back lock only.
Because all the other lock types that come in from the side of the blade are cockeyed.
Like some inbred cockeyed junior.

Sf.
[CENTER]SuperFist[/CENTER]
Sht

Post by Sht »

I'd like to say compression lock but I feel you have a better grip when unlocking with a liner or frame lock. Whenever I give someone a knife I always say hold it like you mean it.
Gayle Bradley
Bob lum tanto sprint
Milie camo
Para2 camo
Manix2 moonglow
Tasman salt
Tenacious (the whole lineup)
Kiwi SS

Knives at all times
Benny90

Post by Benny90 »

jackknifeh wrote:I did a search on "compression" on the Spyderco site to get a list of knives with that lock. I got a list but I also got something I haven't seen before. There were diagrams of how the compression lock, front lock and liner lock knives are assembled. I had never seen this before. I thought this was really good. I did a search on "back lock" and "ball bearing" but there weren't any diagrams.

Compression search:
http://www.spyderco.com/search/index.php

Jack
Didn't show up from the link, but a quick search of compression got it. Thanks for pointing that out, it's a cool illustration!
One question, what is that knife that is shown in the illustration? Looks like a Cento but the only ones I've seen had a backlock? Also didn't show up under the discontinued models. :confused:
EDIT: It's a Spyderco Vesuvius which was later made into the Centofante and changed to a backlock.

Credit: http://www.Spyderco.com
:spyder: SPYDERCO: C81GPBK2 - ParaMilitary 2 / C11PSBBK - Delica 4 / LBKS3 - Ladybug 3 / C138P - Grasshopper :spyder:

- Black on Black Spydeco's! :cool:
LC ray

Post by LC ray »

Still new to Spyderco knives , only own a Dragonfly 2
Being a lifelong traditionalist, I have been only familiar with the back lock and liner locking methods
Voted for the back lock ( I always called it a "lockback" myself), as it is the system I have been most comfortable with for many years
Recently purchased a frame locking knife, that seems OK too, especially "looks wise"

Could someone post close up pictures of a knife with the compression lock ?
The diagram above is good but would like to an actual compression locking Spyderco

Thanks
LC
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

LC ray wrote:Still new to Spyderco knives , only own a Dragonfly 2
Being a lifelong traditionalist, I have been only familiar with the back lock and liner locking methods
Voted for the back lock ( I always called it a "lockback" myself), as it is the system I have been most comfortable with for many years
Recently purchased a frame locking knife, that seems OK too, especially "looks wise"

Could someone post close up pictures of a knife with the compression lock ?
The diagram above is good but would like to an actual compression locking Spyderco

Thanks
LC
Paramilitary 2

Yojimbo 2, with semi-disassembled pics to show how the lock works

Another popular model right now is the Dialex designed Junior.
http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=671
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
paladin

Post by paladin »

Comp lock cause:
*the way I close it with my right index finger FORCES me to move all my digits out of the way of the working edge of the blade when closing
( especially one handed closings )
Midlock w/Boye dent is ok, but some of your fingers are likely to be "in the line of fire" upon closing
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
LC ray

Post by LC ray »

Great pictures Evil D, thanks for taking the time to post them
That compression lock system looks very secure & well designed

LC
DedRok

Post by DedRok »

Liner lock.
Spyderco please make a wire clip version of the Manbug/Ladybug!
BigBill5953

Post by BigBill5953 »

I'd have to go with the Compression lock as well. It keeps my fingers away from the blade, it's easy to use once you get the hang of it, and it's on the Para2 :D
-Billy

Centofante 3|Brown FFG Delica 4|Persistence|Sharpmaker & UF rods|SS Kiwi|Manbug SE|Blue UKPK SE Leaf|Calypso Jr. FRN|Blue Dodo SE|Centofante 3|Grasshopper|Tan Ladybug Salt|Rookie Sprint|

bammann45 wrote:In Los Angeles we have roaming packs of carnivorous tortoises. I am glad we finally have a folder that can punch through their shells.
thelock

Post by thelock »

1. Tri-ad lock
2. Compression lock

I am glad to see the compression lock got so many votes, hopefully Sal will see this and make more knives with that awesome locking mechanism.
:spyder: Paramilitary 2
:spyder: Bob Lum Tanto Sprint
:spyder: Anso Zulu
:spyder: Szabo Folder
:spyder: Delica ZDP-189
:spyder: SS Kiwi
:spyder: SS Bug set
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

1 Compresion Lock
2 Liner lock

I like the ball bearing lock but I prefer the action of the compression and Liner locks. I can flick open my Phoenix but it isn't overly satisfying :-)
psychophipps

Post by psychophipps »

Axis Lock, hands down. Truly ambidextrous, solid as any other lock out there, and easy opening and closing while still having enough detent to keep it from randomly opening on you.