YOUR favorite lock. Please tell why.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Which is your favorite lock? Even non-Spyderco locks.

Liner lock (Walker)
33
13%
Frame lock (RIL)
21
9%
Bolt action lock
3
1%
Back lock
36
15%
Compression lock
107
44%
Arc-Lock (SOG)
0
No votes
Axis lock
22
9%
Non-locking (just being thorough)
3
1%
Other
20
8%
Other
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 245

User avatar
jackknifeh
Member
Posts: 8412
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:01 am
Location: Florida panhandle

YOUR favorite lock. Please tell why.

Postby jackknifeh » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:19 am

I just read a post and someone said they didn't like back locks as much as others. Sal posted asking what it was that they didn't like. I think this question came from him to better understand the opinions of his customers.

We all have knives that "just fit" in our hand better and may not be able to explain exactly why. It seems to me we can get more specific about why we like or dislike a particular lock. Once in a while someone appears asking questions about choosing a knife because they want one nice pocket knife after years of cheap ones. That was me about 35 knives ago. :) Since the lock is such a significant part of a knife opinions on them may help that guy.

I say "Why do you like liner locks?" You say "I like them, they just fit." I'm hoping for something more detailed as to why you like or don't like a lock.

Using the lock: I prefer liner locks because they seem to take less movement of my hand or repositioning of the knife to release the lock. A back lock, ball bearing lock and others I've used seem to require more hand activity to get the knife positioned to release the lock.

Lock reliability: Any lock that won't allow the moving parts to move as a result of putting pressure on the blade spine I feel is reliable. Putting pressure on the spine of a slip joint will close the blade because the way the blade is held open is a gradual point of contact. The point of contact of locking knives should be at a 90° angle so one piece won't move against a spring because you pushed on the spine. Actually, the spring shouldn't make the lock stronger, just force a part to move into the locking position. There is a lock on a competitor's knife that has an excellent design however the spring in the knife broke on me almost 10 times between two or three knives with the same lock. They need a better quality spring to make this a great lock. One inferior piece in the lock design made the lock unreliable.

Lock strength: How much force will it take to close a locking folder without releasing the lock? With Spyderco knives I think this question is mute because every single knife locking design will pass this test. If normal use, even a little abuse will force a knife to close then there is something wrong with the design or the lock is broken or dirty. So, I guess the question here is how much force will it take to break the lock?

I think every Spyderco knife's lock design is more than adequate in the strength and reliability categories. That being said the ease of releasing a lock will make more difference in how we like a particular lock over another IMO. Try this with knives with knives with different locks that you consider strong and reliable. Whittle on a stick a little, then pay attention to what it takes to release the lock. Does it feel like a natural movement? Does the lock release easily? How much danger is there in cutting yourself when closing the knife? Plus any other thoughts.

Hopefully your thought will be more brief than this post. :(

Jack

KardinalSyn
Member
Posts: 1394
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:39 pm
Location: Colombo, Sri Lanka

Postby KardinalSyn » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:26 am

My favorite lock used to be the back lock before I started using Spyderco knives.

After getting my Spydies, I prefer the Compression Lock more. It allows me to use the knife in ways that is not possible with the other locks. I have strangely grown to like the MW liner Lock and the Hybrid Lock of the PPT as well.

So far, none of my Spyderco knife locks have failed me. So In Spyderco I trust.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.

User avatar
The Deacon
Member
Posts: 25290
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am
Location: Upstate SC, USA
Contact:

Postby The Deacon » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:30 am

The midlock is my favorite lock. A midlock knife can be closed equally well with either hand and, for that reason, is almost always paired with a design which can be opened equally well with either hand. It can be closed easily even if one's hands are cold or gloved. Plus, for me, it requires no particular degree of sensitivity in my fingertips to operate. I've never had one close without my wanting it to do so and never had one fail in any other way.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

User avatar
jackknifeh
Member
Posts: 8412
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:01 am
Location: Florida panhandle

Postby jackknifeh » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:53 am

The Deacon wrote:The midlock is my favorite lock. A midlock knife can be closed equally well with either hand and, for that reason, is almost always paired with a design which can be opened equally well with either hand. It can be closed easily even if one's hands are cold or gloved. Plus, for me, it requires no particular degree of sensitivity in my fingertips to operate. I've never had one close without my wanting it to do so and never had one fail in any other way.
Either hand. I didn't even think of that. A very big deal for lefties I'm sure.

Jack

User avatar
gull wing
Member
Posts: 3264
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am
Location: Louisiana USA

Postby gull wing » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:06 am

It's the linerlock, but you jackfish have already covered the whys. It was the first knife I could open and close with one hand easily, the others seem to force me to give extra effort. Of course I like all locks.
SCARAMOUCHE! :spyder:

User avatar
Pinetreebbs
Member
Posts: 1830
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:55 am
Location: SC

Postby Pinetreebbs » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:10 am

Technically I like the compression and ball bearing locks. Due to their overall design and given a little training time, I don't s problem using any of the locks on my Spyderco Knives.

Opening is easy, it's closing that makes a difference. Two things are most important to me, not requiring my fingers to be near the blade/edge of the scales on the blade side and the ability to maintain a reliable grip on the knife during closing.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.

User avatar
dialex
Member
Posts: 9167
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am
Location: Campina, Romania, Europe, Terra
Contact:

Postby dialex » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:13 am

My favorite lock so far is the Compression lock™, for a number of reasons:
1. It is strong. I honestly believe that a properly made complock (and Spyderco is known for making quality things) exceeds by far any other lock in terms of strength;
2. It is reliable. Because it has very few moving parts;
3. It is simple therefore easy to build and maintain;
4. It allows an open construction. This is a great feature for a folder, because it allows easier cleaning, minimal maintenance and last but not least, less weight;
5. It is easy to operate and fairly ambidextrous.
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.

User avatar
jackknifeh
Member
Posts: 8412
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:01 am
Location: Florida panhandle

Postby jackknifeh » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:22 am

Pinetreebbs wrote:Technically I like the compression and ball bearing locks. Due to their overall design and given a little training time, I don't s problem using any of the locks on my Spyderco Knives.

Opening is easy, it's closing that makes a difference. Two things are most important to me, not requiring my fingers to be near the blade/edge of the scales on the blade side and the ability to maintain a reliable grip on the knife during closing.
The first knife I had a hard time holding when releasing the lock was the BBL on the Manix2. At first I finally got used to using the clip to make it easier. Then I wanted to remove the clip because I don't carry it in my pocket. That made holding the knife very difficult when releasing the lock. I now hold it with my middle finger wrapped around the handle in the finger choil. The choil on the blade falls and hits my finger, then I close the blade the rest of the way. My Manix2 is the first knife that the blade just fell when I released the lock. This makes if very dangerous until you get used to a way to safely close the blade. So, IMO if safety is of prime importance the BBL would be one to stay away from. However, it has got to be one of the strongest, most reliable locks available.

Jack

User avatar
jackknifeh
Member
Posts: 8412
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:01 am
Location: Florida panhandle

Postby jackknifeh » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:26 am

dialex wrote:My favorite lock so far is the Compression lock™, for a number of reasons:
1. It is strong. I honestly believe that a properly made complock (and Spyderco is known for making quality things) exceeds by far any other lock in terms of strength;
2. It is reliable. Because it has very few moving parts;
3. It is simple therefore easy to build and maintain;
4. It allows an open construction. This is a great feature for a folder, because it allows easier cleaning, minimal maintenance and last but not least, less weight;
5. It is easy to operate and fairly ambidextrous.
Thank you Dialex. First, your post is informative and detailed. That's great. Also, you used short bullet statements. I love that especially compared to my rambling in an attempt to be understood or thorough.

Jack

User avatar
chuck_roxas45
Member
Posts: 8677
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:43 pm
Location: Small City, Philippines
Contact:

Postby chuck_roxas45 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:30 am

The comp lock is actually my favorite at this point in time but it may just be because the para is among my top favorites.

User avatar
jackknifeh
Member
Posts: 8412
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:01 am
Location: Florida panhandle

Postby jackknifeh » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:38 am

I just added a poll at the request of some forum guy. :) Vote if you like.

I chose liner and back locks as a result of my experience. I want to try a comp lock, just haven't pulled trigger on a para2 yet.

Jack

User avatar
Wolverine666
Member
Posts: 488
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:27 am
Location: Massachusetts

Postby Wolverine666 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:40 am

I dislike Liner Locks because I don't like the idea of having to put my fingers in the way of the movement of the blade. And it makes me feel like the liner being given double duty as liner and lock makes the structure of the knife somewhat weaker. I like a dedicated locking mechanism. Just my opinion of course.

My favorite locks (in no particular order) are : The Compression Lock , The Ball Bearing Lock and the Back Lock (and Mid).

The Compression Lock is in the perfect position for my thumb to engage and disengage the lock on the back of the handle and the satisfying "click" it makes when the blade locks in tight is a comforting and welcome sound. It feels strong without having to apply very much effort to get it locked up rock solid. A truly wonderful design.

The Ball Bearing Lock has the ball bearing mechanism on the side of the handle which i very much like. And the lock up on this one feels exceptionally strong. Maybe the strongest out of all the Spydercos I own. I like how the ball bearing continuously self-adjusts so it will not wear out the mechanism over time like some similar locks from the competition. This lock feels heavy duty and I would like to see it on more models in the future.

I was not very excited about the Back Lock (and Mid) until I handled a Native5 and Sage4. Both fantastic knives with fantastic locks. The exquisite fit and finish of the lock bar and the back spacer is a big draw for me. And the ability to use either hand to operate the Mid Lock is a plus. The lock up is super solid with a loud "clack" to let you know everything is secure and locked up like a vault. I'm a huge fan.

I have never had any of these locks fail on me and they are all very comfortable in my hand as I have used all 3 in a wide variety of tasks and jobs that have really put them through their paces. They have always worked perfectly for me.

User avatar
Orion's Belt
Member
Posts: 332
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:02 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa

Postby Orion's Belt » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:42 am

I voted liner lock and compression lock. I like the liner lock for ease of closing and, if made well, good strength. I like the compression lock for all of the reasons that Alex has stated.
-Ryan

User avatar
jackknifeh
Member
Posts: 8412
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:01 am
Location: Florida panhandle

Postby jackknifeh » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:46 am

WOW! Compression lock is off and running. You guys are going to make me finally get that para2 aren't you? :)

Jack

User avatar
speedcut
Member
Posts: 225
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:45 pm
Location: country of romania in the land of choice

Postby speedcut » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:46 am

Dialex said it better so for me it's the compression lock... :)

Muscon
Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:36 am

Postby Muscon » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:49 am

I like not having to move my hand too much to be able to close the blade. Even more than that, I don't like putting my fingers in the way of the blade to unlock the knife.

As such I dislike back and mid locks and especially framelocks and linerlocks. The compression lock on my Para2 was my favourite, but since I bought a Manix2 my new favourite lock is the caged ball bearing lock. I find it useful both for opening and closing the knife.

I should mention that I am a leftie, so I find locks that cater to lefties to be much easier to operate. The compression lock especially, I actually find easier to use left-handed than right.

User avatar
kbuzbee
Member
Posts: 4762
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:37 am
Location: Mentor, OH

Postby kbuzbee » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:51 am

jackknifeh wrote:
Using the lock: I prefer liner locks because they seem to take less movement of my hand or repositioning of the knife to release the lock. A back lock, ball bearing lock and others I've used seem to require more hand activity to get the knife positioned to release the lock.
You're right, Sal has a nice little focus group going here. Folks who actually use what he makes (and feel free to express their opinions ;) )

I feel exactly the same way about the BBL (note - NOT the CBBL as in the Manix 2) It just fits what I do. I can always close it reliably, easily one handed. Next would come comp locks/liner locks and RILs. Almost as natural. I don't have any issues with front/back/mid locks, they just aren't quite the same natural extension of "me".

As to strength & reliability, if Sal makes it, it's way beyond anything I "need".

And to Paul's other points, ambi isn't important to me (though I get it) If I were to close a knife left handed, I'd hurt myself ;) And if it's cold enough to require gloves, I stay indoors ;)

Ken
玉鋼

User avatar
jackknifeh
Member
Posts: 8412
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:01 am
Location: Florida panhandle

Postby jackknifeh » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:54 am

I forgot the ball bearing lock. Can't believe it. I'm trying to figure out how to edit my choices. Anyone know how?

Jack

User avatar
kbuzbee
Member
Posts: 4762
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:37 am
Location: Mentor, OH

Postby kbuzbee » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:55 am

jackknifeh wrote:The first knife I had a hard time holding when releasing the lock was the BBL on the Manix2.
I voted other as you left off the BBL and CBBL. The Manix is actually a BBL. The Phoenix (Dodo, D'Allera etc) use a BBL. Big difference in feel between the two.

Ken
玉鋼

User avatar
jackknifeh
Member
Posts: 8412
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:01 am
Location: Florida panhandle

Postby jackknifeh » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:05 am

kbuzbee wrote:I voted other as you left off the BBL and CBBL. The Manix is actually a BBL. The Phoenix (Dodo, D'Allera etc) use a BBL. Big difference in feel between the two.

Ken
If anyone else wants to vote for a BBL or CBBL (I don't know the difference), please use the first "other" choice. If I find out how I'll put the BBL there.

Jack


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Joey, koenigsegg, Superfool, ugaarguy, xceptnl and 41 guests