Gun/knife lubricants & rust preventatives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
fredswartz

Gun/knife lubricants & rust preventatives

Post by fredswartz »

This may start a hailstorm of posts as everyone
has their favorites. SS doesn't rust except under
severe conditions and H1 is better. Still
you need lubrication fingerprint prevention etc.

My favorites are Sentry Tuf-Glide lubricant and
rust protection and the Sentry Tuf-Cloth
which is impregnated with this stuff.

For lubrication/long term storage my all
time favorite is Birchwood-Casey Synthetic
Gun oil. This stuff lays down a protective
film that protects and enhances wood, steel and
metal surfaces. Have used these products
for years but some of you may get by
with 3-in-1 oil. Whatever works for you.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

fredswartz wrote:This may start a hailstorm of posts as everyone
has their favorites. SS doesn't rust except under
severe conditions and H1 is better. Still
you need lubrication fingerprint prevention etc.

My favorites are Sentry Tuf-Glide lubricant and
rust protection and the Sentry Tuf-Cloth
which is impregnated with this stuff.

For lubrication/long term storage my all
time favorite is Birchwood-Casey Synthetic
Gun oil. This stuff lays down a protective
film that protects and enhances wood, steel and
metal surfaces. Have used these products
for years but some of you may get by
with 3-in-1 oil. Whatever works for you.
Both of the products you mentioned i.e. Sentry Solutions & Birchwood Casey are both a great line of products and I've used both extensively. I would like to also add the "MILITEC" line of products to that list. A lot of people aren't aware of MILITEC's synthetic grease which I happened onto by accident. It may be the best fishing reel lube out there.

I've used nothing but Militec oil almost exclusively for the past 8 years or so for folding knives. I know there is always new stuff on the horizon so I'm very interested to see what this thread produces.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
iyn

Post by iyn »

M-Pro 7, I use it on my guns too.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

corrosion-x and Ren wax
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I've been using Tuf-Glide exclusively for corrosion prevention for a few years. At first I believed in it's performance because I used it on a cheap folder and left it outside for about a month, rain or shine. There was absolutely no sign of corrosion. Then I decided to force patina on an M4 blade that had been treated wit Tuf-Glide since I got the knife. I was completely unsuccessful. I did the normal stuff like apply mustard, potato juice, vinegar, etc. Then I remembered the Tuf-Glide. I tried gun solvent to remove it from the blade with little effect. After 2 to 3 months of not applying Tuf-Glide I was finally able to force a light patina. If I couldn't force a type of corrosion on purpose because of the Tuf-Glide I think it's pretty good stuff.

Tuf-Glide is good but not the best (IMO) when it comes to lubrication. It seems that Quick Release makes knife pivots smoother and lasts longer than Tuf-Glide. I put a good application of Tuf-Glide on new knives than use Quick Release for periodic lubrication.

I am going to try some Nano Oil later this year on an order for a Chaparral Stealth planned from Howe's. It has good testimonials (who doesn't :) ) if you read their website.

A few people on this forum have said they don't use any lubrication and their knives work fine. I believe them especially if the knife is used in clean environments. However, even being in a pocket can be a corrosion factory for anyone who has activities that produce persperation (you know, sweat). Even if no lube seems to work I don't understand not using any lubrication because any moving metal parts will perform better and corrode less with good lubrication. Especially with the newer products available in the past few years. I grew up with 3-in-one and WD-40 which are excellent IMO. But, with new technology there are products now that are better. I don't mind spending a few pennies to lube a knife that costs what I've been paying for knives lately. He**, I even oiled my $10 knives all my life. Dad sait to, so that's enough for me. :D

Jack
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

*Pure 100% silicone oil ( dries with no residue)
*Renn wax, or a liquid carrier wax that dries out leaving a coating. I use it ( liquid wax) on knives or tools that will be stored and the surface texture or shape makes paste wax application difficult. Does surprisingly good job getting grit/mild rust off steel. Very mild polishing effect.
*Dry ( aerosol delivered, quick drying) teflon/ptfe lube like "B'Laster". Used where lube is needed for areas like the rocker arm/tang contact but no sticky greases or oils are used to keep dirt or grit from being trapped, possibly damaging the surfaces/contact area. I make sure the teflon lube has no wax in it. A preference as wax seems to slow the action down slightly.
*Tuff Glide. They all get an application when new, and reapplication/treatment when needed.
Before reapplying tuff glide or other such treatments I clean the steel down to the surface. Action cleaners, or, if really old, dried on decade old grease is on an old blade the more powerful "break cleaner". It'll clean steel down to bare metal but care needs to be used. Some plastics, rubber compounds can be destroyed. It's great for cleaning old firearms stored with cosmoline, etc.

* various combos of teflon/silicone lubes. Must be dry, not wet for above reasons.
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

The Mastiff wrote:*Pure 100% silicone oil ( dries with no residue)
*Renn wax, or a liquid carrier wax that dries out leaving a coating. I use it ( liquid wax) on knives or tools that will be stored and the surface texture or shape makes paste wax application difficult. Does surprisingly good job getting grit/mild rust off steel. Very mild polishing effect.
*Dry ( aerosol delivered, quick drying) teflon/ptfe lube like "B'Laster". Used where lube is needed for areas like the rocker arm/tang contact but no sticky greases or oils are used to keep dirt or grit from being trapped, possibly damaging the surfaces/contact area. I make sure the teflon lube has no wax in it. A preference as wax seems to slow the action down slightly.
*Tuff Glide. They all get an application when new, and reapplication/treatment when needed.
Before reapplying tuff glide or other such treatments I clean the steel down to the surface. Action cleaners, or, if really old, dried on decade old grease is on an old blade the more powerful "break cleaner". It'll clean steel down to bare metal but care needs to be used. Some plastics, rubber compounds can be destroyed. It's great for cleaning old firearms stored with cosmoline, etc.

* various combos of teflon/silicone lubes. Must be dry, not wet for above reasons.
I contacted Sentry Solutions about removing Tuf-Glide so I could get the steel to "patina" before reapplying it. They suggested industrial cleaning solvents after they quit asking why would anyone want to remove it? :) Have you used brake fluid (or anything) in an effort to remove Tuf-Glide? It's rare but sometimes one might want to remove Tuf-Glide. Forming a patina is one reason. Getting it off a blade used for food prep may be another. IMO Tuf-Glide won't kill anyone but it is NOT approved for food prep by the FDA. I use it on my folders and use my folders to cut food once in a while. I don't use TG on kitchen cutlery since it is always cutting food. I also don't recommend anyone drink it. :D Probably VERY BAD! :)

Jack
_Spydieman_

Post by _Spydieman_ »

I use Break-Free CLP.
Orion's Belt

Post by Orion's Belt »

I use Weapon Shield right now. I plan on grabbing up some Frog Lube to try.
-Ryan
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

For general lube I use Break-Free CLP and Tri-Flow, and for heavy duty corrosion resistance, Boeshield.

On a folding knife that might see food duty, I just coat the blade very lightly with mineral oil. Mostly however, I don't use anything on my rust resistant blades unless they are safe queens in long term storage.
"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt."
"Measure for Measure"
-W. Shakespeare
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Sentry makes some other great products. Personally I use BP2000 and smooth coat. Both are excellent.

Ken
玉鋼
fredswartz

Post by fredswartz »

The combination of Birchwood-Casey
Synthetic Gun oil and the Tuff-Cloth
got the black stains out of the white
Micarta on my early production run
Phoenix. The Tuff-Cloth has a pungent
odor. "eau de Tuff Cloth"!
Alchemy1

Post by Alchemy1 »

I use Sentry Solution products exclusively. I hear you about the smell Fred! I thought it STANK the first time I pulled out my Tuff Cloth and used it on my GB, but now I love the smell of it.

Tuff Cloth (Keep my knife blades from rusting)
Tuf-Glide (Use on my knife pivots and gun(s))
Hi-Slip Grease (Bought to use on my guns, but grease really isn't "necessary" for a Glock)
Smooth-Kote (Got some of this on the way to use on my guns instead of Tuf-Glide)
:spyder:Sage 1, Gayle Bradley, Camo Para 2, All black Para 2, "Smurf" Para 2, Orange Para2, Lionspy:spyder:

Green Para 2 on pre order
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

kbuzbee wrote:Sentry makes some other great products. Personally I use BP2000 and smooth coat. Both are excellent.

Ken
That BP2000 is probably the best dry lube I've used ever. And I've tried all kinds of Teflon, PTFE and graphite type dry lubes out there but so far I've yet to try anything that works as good as BP2000 of Sentry Solutions.

I'm surprised that no one beside myself mentioned MILITEC and their line of lubes. I've yet to try any synthetic lube as good as MILITEC and their synthetic grease is something like I've never used before.

With all this new "nanotechnology" line of lubrication products coming out I will be interested to see what comes out soon.
BuffaloBill

Post by BuffaloBill »

I use tuff-glide. the .5oz with pinpoint applicator.

little bit goes a long way for knives. I ordered it a few years ago and still have yet to go through one half ounce bottle. Use it to lubricate my truck's doors sometimes, and all my knives pivots and to clean the blades.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
^Click (needs updating)
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

JD Spydo wrote:
I'm surprised that no one beside myself mentioned MILITEC and their line of lubes. I've yet to try any synthetic lube as good as MILITEC and their synthetic grease is something like I've never used before.

You're right, Militec is great stuff as well. Haven't tried the grease (in fact, I haven't used the liquid since switching to Tuff Kote and BP2000)

Ken
玉鋼
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

JD Spydo wrote:
With all this new "nanotechnology" line of lubrication products coming out I will be interested to see what comes out soon.
Such as? I haven't really been following "what's new".

Ken
玉鋼
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

I use CorresionX.....nothing mentioned already can compare......Doc :)
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:I use CorresionX.....nothing mentioned already can compare......Doc :)
I've heard of it and seen it advertised>> where do you get it? It must be some great stuff to put Militec and the Sentry Solutions products to shame.

I'm also wanting someone to chime in on more dry lubes too.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

kbuzbee wrote:Such as? I haven't really been following "what's new".

Ken
I don't even know who exactly is spearheading the "nanotech" lubricants but I have read about them in a science journal and have heard them talked about on the Discovery Science Channel. I'm sure that the big chemical guys like Dupont and Monsanto are doing research on nanotech lubes. Just do a GOOGLE search and I'm sure there is plenty to read. JD