Opinion: Which do you think is less threatening to NKP's and why: Calys or Sages?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
darkstar29

Post by darkstar29 »

To the untrained eye, a knife is a knife. Also, the Sage series and Caly series don't really have any distinguishing features to differentiate themselves from one another (to the untrained eye).
My advice is don't dress like a dirt bag and start flicking blades open as if you're going to attack something. (not saying that's what you do :) )
It boils down to common sense. The 'cool' way to open a knife isn't always the most appropriate.
I walk away slow tonight,
and cut through the air
with a curse, like a knife.
nuubee

Post by nuubee »

I once whipped out a Spydie - I'm pretty sure it was a Dragonfly, but it could have been a Delica - to help someone open a gift, at a Sunday brunch, in a nice restaurant, and my brother-in-law's parents noticeably stiffened in their seats. I think it was the 'click'. I don't spend a lot of time with them, but you would think they would know me well enough to know that I'm not going to assault my family(?!?!?!). When I deploy a blade around people now, I explain what I am doing ("I think I will use this to open this package"), and speak quietly and soothingly, and depress the locking mechanism so it doesn't click.

On the other hand, I was with my two Brazilian nieces at a Subway Sandwich shop, and there was a fellow who was exercising Oregon's right-to-open-carry, in a Serpa belt holster. I was expecting my nieces to ask me about it once we were back in the car, and neither of them did. It turns out neither of them even noticed! I was amazed.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I'm sure the key difference was said "deployment". If the guy in subway did that it would be brandishing and he would probably be in the back seat of a cop car :) .

There is nothing preventing a one-handed opener from being opened with two hands slowly. In fact, under durress even the concept of deployment is a bit puzzling. Some say a two-hand open is better. IMHO almost all are better than the common thumbnail-flick.
zidfeldts

Post by zidfeldts »

If I had to worry about what people thought of what knife I was carrying I think I would move. I see people packing 6 inch fixed blades every day and a 110 on a belt is as common as seeing someone wearing a jacket.
darkstar29

Post by darkstar29 »

^ It's not like that everywhere, zidfeldtz. ;)
I wish it was, though.

It boils down to the situation/people/proximity/And laws. And common sense, or lack thereof, of the user.
I walk away slow tonight,
and cut through the air
with a curse, like a knife.
SpydieFan

Post by SpydieFan »

The Deacon wrote:Perhaps just out of curiosity. I suspect almost all of us do the exact same thing, to a lesser degree, and label it situational awareness. If you can honestly say you've never met someone who you would feel uncomfortable seeing with a knife in their hand, you've led a sheltered life. Perhaps because that "someone" is their boss, or their customer, or someone else whose discomfort could have an impact on their income. If not today, then perhaps sometime in the future. Perhaps because even a knife of legal length can get you interviewed, arrested, and possibly even convicted if that "someone" claims they felt threatened by you.
No... I have truely never met anyone who has felt uncomfortable with me when I'm using a knife. Sheltered life? Yeah right. It's called living in a part of the country and dealing with people who do not have their head up their arse.

I have never worked in an office/cubical type environment, and I never will, just not for me, so maybe I have just never had to deal with Nancy's...

Call me ignorant, call me whatever, I just don't feel that sheeple are something I need to worry myself with... someone calling the police about someone with a knife won't get any further than the deputy getting on scene and telling the person not to worry about it. Knives are a daily thing here, nearly every man carries one, and uses one all the time for farm work.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:spyder:|Spyderco Bug|Spyderco Kiwi3|Spyderco H1 Salt|Spyderco Para Military 2 Black Blade DigiCam + STR Pocket Clip| :spyder:

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
bada61265

Post by bada61265 »

ive had reactions from different models ive carried at work but over time and talking with people about knives and my collection and use of them most seem to accept it and i dont get much more reaction now than the "which knife you got today?" type questions.
my knives:
kershaw Leek Buck 119 Cold Steel Recon tanto
Cold Steel Ti Lite VI ,
Spyderco: Tenacious ,Persistence, Endura 4 blue Stretch zdp blue, Manix 2 ,Native s30v . Sage2 titanium, Gayle Bradly cpm m4, Muleteam mt 10, woodcraft mule s30v. Orange Delica 4
Bark River PSK 154cm, Gunny, Bravo 2, Canadian Special
SuzieQ

Post by SuzieQ »

Mhm, from a NKP perspective I wouldn't see much difference between those two. Although if this is the bright blue Sage 3 we're talking about I can't really see how it can look scary. Looks fun to me :) Might be the size that does some people in.

If you're after putting people at ease I would suggest going for something considerably smaller and some color can't hurt either. People seem to enjoy seeing my Dragonfly 2 Salt with the bright yellow handle scales. And the purple and pink Delicas always make people smile even though they are not that small. Same with the orange UKPK :cool:

But I guess it's got also a lot to do with who carries the knife, the circumstances, attitude and so on. I'm a nice, polite girl. Which helps a lot in this particular case. At work pretty much everyone knows that I've always got a knife on me. If someone is struggling with a parcel or something I usually wait for them to ask me for help or I nicely ask them if they want me to help them out. This way it's no surprise even if the knife turns out the be an Endura. Which is very orange but still not a knife I would carelessly and loudly flick open in the company of NKPs since for most people it seems like one badass big knife.
She: Did you say pink :spyder: sprint run?! - He: Yeah. - She: Wow, wouldn't this go great with my purple Delica?! - He: ? - :D

:spyder: Delica 4 FFG purple ::: Dragonfly Salt Yellow SE ::: Ladybug Foliage Green PE ::: UK Penknife Safety Orange G-10 ::: Byrd Robin G-10 PE ::: Delica 4 FFG pink - modded to non-locking ::: Squeak ::: Grasshopper ::: Kiwi - got snagged by the husband ::: Endura 4 FFG Orange ::: Delica ZDP-189 ::: Centofante 4 ::: Byrd Tern ::: Manix 2 Blue Lightweight :spyder:
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I just feel to obligated as a knife carrier to be extra cautious. Legislation is watching all of us and I don't want to potentially limit your rights by my foolishness.

Intimidating someone is my worst fear as people have the human right in civilization to feel safe.
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

Blerv wrote:...There is nothing preventing a one-handed opener from being opened with two hands slowly. In fact, under durress even the concept of deployment is a bit puzzling. Some say a two-hand open is better. IMHO almost all are better than the common thumbnail-flick.
This is has been my experience. It's relatively easy to whip out a knife as fast as an auto, but it may scare the crap out some folks, it really depends on who is watching.

Most of the time I have a SE Tasman with bright yellow FRN scales in my pocket. The Spyder edged hawkbill blade get an occasional worried comment. I just reply, "I collect knives and this is just a tool with a very efficient totally rust proof H1 blade. To balance the blade's slightly aggressive appearance I chose the bright and cheery yellow scales." It is also an opportunity to open up a discussion about knives.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
angusW

Post by angusW »

As far as which one is less threatening to a nkp. Neither knife is less threatening. A nkp will not know the difference between the two. The blue handle or the bolsters of the Sages might help but they will just see the blade, not the handle. Sometimes even being very discreet, people will get upset with your knife even when you are pleasant, non-threatening and dressed casual.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies