frn man bug makes me smile :)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bammann45

frn man bug makes me smile :)

Post by bammann45 »

My FRN manbug arrived in the mail today. It has displaced my jigged bone Kiwi as my smallest spydie. I bought it on a lark because it came up for a great sale price. Believe it or not the most impressive aspect is the ergonomics. I have large hands and was very pleased to find that it locks in very nicely as a two finger knife. The micro fit finish are also excellent.

It makes a excellent watch pocket companion to my lightweight manix - combined together they are still a lighter package than many of my other EDC's. It gives me a very office friendly alternative for opening packages etc. Plus it just has a giggle factor. I am pretty sure its going to become a watch pocket constant companion.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I don't have a Manbug yet but i have two Ladybugs and i get the same giggle when i use them. They're great for those mundane tasks that you couldn't otherwise use your primary EDC for. I find i also use mine a lot when i'm sitting down and can't reach my pocket as easy, since i keep mine clipped to my keys and my keys are clipped to my belt loop.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
iyn

Post by iyn »

I have the ladybug but how does the ergos compare with the manbug?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

iyn wrote:I have the ladybug but how does the ergos compare with the manbug?
It's a fatter, fuller grip with a slightly different blade profile and thicker blade stock.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
fast.ed

Post by fast.ed »

I had several ladybugs over the years and always enjoyed them (some prefere small knives).
I was going to get a manbug until the local store owner showed me the dragonfly 2.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

bammann45 wrote:My FRN manbug arrived in the mail today. It has displaced my jigged bone Kiwi as my smallest spydie. I bought it on a lark because it came up for a great sale price. Believe it or not the most impressive aspect is the ergonomics. I have large hands and was very pleased to find that it locks in very nicely as a two finger knife. The micro fit finish are also excellent.

It makes a excellent watch pocket companion to my lightweight manix - combined together they are still a lighter package than many of my other EDC's. It gives me a very office friendly alternative for opening packages etc. Plus it just has a giggle factor. I am pretty sure its going to become a watch pocket constant companion.

Thanks a lot guy! :) I just ordered an FRN Manbug because of you. I saw one for under $30. So got it. As a coincidence I ordered a keychain light earlier this am also. It has a quick connect/disconnect clip that I can clip the manbut to.

Jack
kadinh

Post by kadinh »

jackknifeh wrote: I can clip the manbut to.

Jack
do you mean you ordered the clip so you can clip it to your man-butt? :o
You should never have to ask yourself "do i really need another knife?" The answer is obvious...
iyn

Post by iyn »

jackknifeh wrote:Thanks a lot guy! :) I just ordered an FRN Manbug because of you. I saw one for under $30. So got it. As a coincidence I ordered a keychain light earlier this am also. It has a quick connect/disconnect clip that I can clip the manbut to.

Jack
Yep, I ordered on too. Now to find a place for my ladybug.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

kadinh wrote:do you mean you ordered the clip so you can clip it to your man-butt? :o
Of course. How else do you carry a knife during sex? :confused: :)

I need a new keybord. Mine keeps maknig mistkaes. :)

Jack
iyn

Post by iyn »

Evil D wrote:It's a fatter, fuller grip with a slightly different blade profile and thicker blade stock.
thanks, I just got mine in the mail. great little knife added to my edc rotation as my 2nd "office" knife. my only problem with it will be I'll for get to take it out of my pocket before I do laundry.
bammann45

Post by bammann45 »

I did some recreational sharpening this weekend while watching some bad movies. I gave the manbug a solid treatment on the fine and ultrafine sharpmaker stones -- now its a tiny pocket scalpel :)
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Considering it when they come out with a ZDP-189 version.

For those of you who have one, what have you used it for? What would make you reach for the lady/manbug instead of a dragonfly or larger edc?
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
bammann45

Post by bammann45 »

The dragonfly is too big to be a secondary EDC (at least for me) and too small to be a primary EDC. So far I have used the manbug to open various things around the office, such as hard shell cell phone accessory boxes, coffee bags and letters... The ergos of the ladybug never worked for me.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

kennethsime wrote:Considering it when they come out with a ZDP-189 version.

For those of you who have one, what have you used it for? What would make you reach for the lady/manbug instead of a dragonfly or larger edc?
Once in a while I'll pull out my Jester (Manbug FRN on order hasn't arrived yet) just in case people around may feel uncomfortable with a larger knife (Sage or GB). Most of the time I just don't care but somethimes I do. Mainly though I like a very small knife when I need my fingers right at the tip. Example. I needed to cut the safety seal off a drink for my grandson. All I had on me was the GB. I put my fingers right at the tip to maintain control. Of course the other fingers were close to the edge. I used a Ladybug later and liked it much better. Now I carry the Jester for tasks like this. I'm getting the FRN Manbug for two reasons. First of course I know it will be a great little knife. Second, this will be swimming around one of my pockets and it will be a loaner for the off chance that I would loan a knife to someone to use. I gave away my Schrade the other day which I carried a lot as a loaner. I had planned on getting a cheap something to carry as a loaner but decided to not get a piece of junk. The FRN Manbug is inexpensive enough to not devestate me if it gets broken, lost or stolen but I also won't be wasting pocket space with something I wouldn't carry normally.

I have carried a bug in my change pocket and it has come in handy, no kidding. But I have carried it most of the time to get a laugh when I pull it out. Especially if the job requires a much larger knife. :)

I will say this about the Ladybug, Manbug, and Jester knives. As a forum "test" I used only my Jester for about a week unless I NEEDED something larger. The Jester was big enough and tough enough for about 85-90% of my EDC cutting needs.

Jack
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

FRN Manbug came today. My hopes and expectations were high and I wasn't disappointed. It feels far more durable than one would expect for a knife that size. It came very sharp so I can wait to reprofile it. It will get used much more than my Ladybug did. I have more trust in it's durability but I don't think I gave the Ladybut enough use to prove herself. :( Very glad I decided to get it. I would recommend it to any one wanting a knife this size. I think it will stay in the small pocket of my jeans. Some call it a change pocket, some call it a watch pocket. I call it a Manbug pocket. :)

Jack
bammann45

Post by bammann45 »

I am glad you like it -- its part of my edc everyday now - I don't even notice its there. Its pretty fun to sharpen - not a lot of edge to cover...
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

bammann45 wrote:I am glad you like it -- its part of my edc everyday now - I don't even notice its there. Its pretty fun to sharpen - not a lot of edge to cover...
I do like it a lot. As usual, another knife has created the problem of it taking someone else's place. :( I hadn't planned on carrying the Manbug like I have been carrying the Jester. I probably won't replace the Jester but the thought did seriously cross my mind. I had thought about the Manbug being a "loaner" knife since I like to carry one to loan that I don't care about. Well I like the Manbug too much to put it in that category. I think I will replace the Jester just for a while with the Manbug. That's the only way I'll be forced to use it anytime I'd grab the Jester. I do like the fuller feeling. I will say this. One BIG feature of the Jester is the curvature of the spine and jimping at the tip. I made a Edge Guide Block (for the EP) for the Manbug today which meant cutting up a couple of old credit cards. I used the Manbug with my index finger close to the tip and it wasn't even close to being as comfortable or controlled as the Jester is. I've thought the Manbug may be a better piercer because of the tip on the Jester not being pointy but the angle of tip on the Manbug is about as wide because the belly is bigger. Anyway, each has it's own features and both knives are very nice. I doubt if I get the G-10 Manbug but I hadn't planned on getting the FRN one until I read this thread that guess who started. :)

Jack
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I said at first I didn't need to reprofile the Manbug which is true. I did it anyway. :) I put a 15° back bevel and 20° edge bevel on it. Then I mirrored it up a bit. :) I did wait about 7 hours which is pretty good for me. That's not the smartest thing to do sometimes in case there is something wrong with a knife that I don't catch before sharpening it. Sharpening a knife usually means you can't return it to the site you got it from under their no questions asked policy.

Jack
bartvdb

Post by bartvdb »

mine came in and i am happy with it :)
Attachments
L1050518.JPG
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

I really like the full flat grind with the serrated edge, it really slices without binding. Here's a boot I took apart with mine, worked like a charm.