Junior

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Rayo

Junior

Post by Rayo »

Just received my Junior.

This must be the ultimate ergonomic design. Spyderco got it right, "amazingly" comfortable in the hand. All the features I wanted in one knife.

Congratulations DiAlex.
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

Another surprise hit for me was the Junior. When I first saw it I thought it looked ugly and ridiculous (seems that way for most of the Spyderco knives I end up really liking). I bought one to try and it's been a great purchase. I like it.
Onionman

Post by Onionman »

Great knife all around. Thin, light, perfect grip, decent blade length and deep pocket clip. I have a hard time keeping this out of my pocket.
The important thing was that I had an onion tied to my belt, which was the style at the time. You couldn't get white onions, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

One of my dream knives would be a Junior with a Yojimbo 2-ish wharnie blade.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

Evil D wrote:One of my dream knives would be a Junior with a Yojimbo 2-ish wharnie blade.
I think this dream knife exists. If I recall, the designer of the Junior made some variants and posted pics on this forum at least once. I recall seeing a wharnie-ish rendition of the Junior. I don't know if you can actually purchase one of these, though.
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

Here is a good thread and review of the junior, dialex even had some ideas for a modified blade, not sure about a wharncliffe tho you might need to start from scratch.

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... erspective
I see, said the blind man.
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

w3tnz wrote:Here is a good thread and review of the junior, dialex even had some ideas for a modified blade, not sure about a wharncliffe tho you might need to start from scratch.

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... erspective
There it is - thanks -
fredswartz

Post by fredswartz »

Just got a great buy on one from
spydercovt.com. Can't wait to get it.
flash900

Post by flash900 »

Evil D wrote:One of my dream knives would be a Junior with a Yojimbo 2-ish wharnie blade.
Wow!! +1
Spydies: Caly 3 & Jr.; Michael Walker; Dragonfly, 2 & G10; Delica 4, FFG, G10, & Wave; Endura G10 & Wave; Rookie; Ambitious, Persistence, Tenacious; Sage 1, 2, 3; CAT CF & G10; Chicago CF; Ladybug; Bradley; Manix 2, Blue & XL; Native 4, 5 & Forum; Balance; Rescue; Salt I & Pacific; D'Allara; Junior; PPT; SuperLeaf; Urban Safety Orange; Para 2; Matriarch 2 & Lil'; Techno; Southard; Tuffthumbz Sage 2 & Para 2 mods; Cuscadi Pingo; Domino; Slysz Bowie
fredswartz

Post by fredswartz »

Spyderco Junior came today! Sharpest
blade in recent memory. Scratchiest liner
lock to tang movement in recent memory.
Applied Triflon to tang locking surface
and exercised lock-unlock about 100
times and it smoothed out. I think that
I will carry this one.
mil

Post by mil »

wonderful idea...
moeman

Post by moeman »

I carry mine everyday!

heathen

Post by heathen »

I just wanted to another big plus 1 to this idea!!! This would be a dream knife for me too.
God Bless
Heath
Sht

Post by Sht »

I really like the knife but I think it's just to small for me. And yes I know why it's called Jr.
Gayle Bradley
Bob lum tanto sprint
Milie camo
Para2 camo
Manix2 moonglow
Tasman salt
Tenacious (the whole lineup)
Kiwi SS

Knives at all times
Rayo

Post by Rayo »

Super pic and lanyard Moeman!
PocketZen

Post by PocketZen »

Rayo wrote:Just received my Junior.

This must be the ultimate ergonomic design. Spyderco got it right, "amazingly" comfortable in the hand. All the features I wanted in one knife.

Congratulations DiAlex.
I was thinking of getting one for my wife for our outdoor adventures. My thought would be it could also be used on a cutting board. Any Junior owners able to comment about use in that fashion?
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

fredswartz wrote:Just got a great buy on one from
spydercovt.com. Can't wait to get it.
Congratulation! I thought Tom was out of business, but I see he still has a few pieces left. Great guy! Sad that his business didn't make it.

Ken
玉鋼
moeman

Post by moeman »

Rayo wrote:Super pic and lanyard Moeman!
Thanks! snapped that with my iPhone at work. It's with me everyday!
nirvanero

Post by nirvanero »

Great knife. If you hold it with your thumb in the spyderhole you can use it as a kitchen minichopper nicely.
Ed Schempp

Post by Ed Schempp »

Alex has a very good artistic eye in design. This knife has a couple of attributes that are very good. The first is safety, it is very difficult for your index finger to get "involved" with the blade. The second is the advantage of a deep index finger choil. This particular area is the fulcrum point of the knife, the deeper the index finger grip area the deeper the fulcrum point. It lets the knife fall into your hand and more importantly it gives a great range of movement in a stable controlled postion. For example take a piece of material 1 1/4" wide and a piece of material 3/4" wide, find the center of gravity lengthwise. Hold between your index finger, "the axis or fulcrum" and your thumb and rotate around the axis of your finger. I think you will find that there is a significant difference the the lengthes of arc range, "with reasonable control". Good job Alex...Take care...Ed