Release day of the Mule MT14?

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Kohbanang

Release day of the Mule MT14?

Post by Kohbanang »

Hi Sal, Spyderco, and :spyder: members,is anybody knowing
the release day of the Mule MT 14? ;)

If i remember right it is the CTS204P steel,or is it the K390?
Thanks for answer.

Cheers
Significent

Post by Significent »

Several months ago, Sal said the K390 for mules was on order. Has anyone hear if it was received? I'm ready to plop down the cash for two of them as soon as they're available. I've already got the green Para2 in 204P on pre-order so I'm more eager to hear about the K390.
Clip

Post by Clip »

I was thinking that I read the MT14 was going to be CTS204P. This was several weeks if not months ago and I could be wrong. I hope it's K390 :)
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Maybe they are waiting for more of the stock of the existing MT-11, MT-12, and MT-13 to get sold before they make another run...

TedP
vtvman

Post by vtvman »

Is 204p similar to m390? I know there conpositions are analogous to each other so does that mean their performance are expected to be the same? Given that both knives are Spyderco mules, that is.
Significent

Post by Significent »

I don't have a definitive answer for you; but, assuming they're tempered the same way, they should perform very much the same. I have a couple of the M390 mules that I haven't run through their paces yet. The M390 and pending 204P should both be great blades. K390 should be even better but will require a little more care to keep from tarnishing.
vtvman wrote:Is 204p similar to m390? I know there conpositions are analogous to each other so does that mean their performance are expected to be the same? Given that both knives are Spyderco mules, that is.
knifebuff732

Post by knifebuff732 »

vtvman, in response to your question above about CTS-204P and M390, like you said they are basically the same steel. Their alloy content is almost identical, the only difference is that CTS-204P has 0.60% Silicon and M390 has 0.70% Silicon and the only other one is CTS-204P has 0.65% Tungsten and M390 has 0.60% Tungsten. Other than those two alloys being different both of these steel compositions are otherwise identical. 204P is Carpenter's version of Bohler's M390 basically. And FYI there is another steel out there made by a company called Duratech, it is called 20CV, and it has the same basic steel specs as CTS-204P and Bohler's M390. The three of these are all great steels and have similar performance qualities. Hope this helps you out a little.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

vtvman wrote:Is 204p similar to m390? I know there conpositions are analogous to each other so does that mean their performance are expected to be the same? Given that both knives are Spyderco mules, that is.
I asked Sal this question last Friday and he was effusive about Carpenter's formulations. He believes 204P will be at least equal in performance to M390. My impression from that conversation was that while 204P will be considered a hair better by some, in practice most of the differences observed will be imaginary.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
Zencowboy

Post by Zencowboy »

Just saw the Elmax is sold out....I need to buy a more rust resistant steel for my nephew for his July 16th B-day (don't think cruwear would be good for him at age 12. He wants to make his own handle too:-)

I so wonder the ETA of the Mule #14 ?

Went ahead and ordered the Cruwear today for him.
Thanks
sal

Post by sal »

Still sorting out issues with the steel. Any time we work with a brand new steel, there is a learning curve.

sal
Kohbanang

Post by Kohbanang »

Is the steel still make problems?
Any news?
Thanks
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

Pretty much they are the same, just different PM processes. One is third generation: Bohler Uddelholm Micro Clean M390, The other is the same steel made with Carpenters Second Gen PM processes (which carpenter claims results in finer particles than either Gen 1 (CPM) or Gen 3 (bohler)) SOOOO, my guess is they are very very very close. So much so that unless there is a signifigant HT difference, the average user (and even steel snob) shouldnt be able to tell much different.

WHICH MAKES ME WONDER... why would spyderco come out with basically the "same" mule again, so close to the M390 release (which sold extremely slowly). I mean, it would be different if it had been a year since the m390, or if it had sold like hotcakes, but it isnt, and it didnt. (the 204 para did sell out really quickly tho, so maybe they are anticipating a similar reaction? I cant see why the masses would prefer one to another, personally, I think I like m390, just cuz it sounds cooler :cool :) Im not complaining, I sold my m390 mule and regretted it, so I would be glad to replace it with its analog. BUT I would prefer to have a k390 mule first!!!!
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

sal wrote:Still sorting out issues with the steel. Any time we work with a brand new steel, there is a learning curve.

sal
"BRAND NEW STEEL" - Ok, sal, perhaps I am over-analyzing that last statement, but after all this talk about how M390 and 204P are the same, I take this to mean perhaps we will see something OTHER than 204p for the MT14... Am I correct in my assumptions? ... please k390 steel gods, please!