Sage 4 vs Al Mar Eagle

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JediKnight86

Sage 4 vs Al Mar Eagle

Post by JediKnight86 »

So the Sage 4 looks like a really nice EDC/Gents knife. I've never had any of the Sage models, and I'm also tempted by the Sage 2.

Since the 4 is a tribute to Al Mar, and I've never had an Al Mar (production or custom) and I'm wondering how the current production Eagle model with the cocobolo wood stacks up to the Sage 4.
Hi my name is Alex and I'm a Spyderholic :D
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

The Al Mar knives are some of my favorites to hold at the knife shop but spendy for sure. That Eagle you are talking about is a great looking, feeling knife and an even better example of a "Gents" knife than the Sage however, many would cringe at AUS-8 steel even though it is plenty worthy in this configuration.
USMC RETIRED
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PatCatMan

Post by PatCatMan »

Just got the Sage2 and love it!
The Sage1 just took aver the Caly3 for #1
Sage2 is in a close running for #2 with the Caly3.

I am normally in business dress - so that's why the PM2 isn't up there higher :D

Can't go wrong with the Sage series from what I like.
Pat

Perfect EDC as far as I can tell - so far so great!
"You miss 100% of the shots you never take"
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I'd take the Sage 4 for the Spydie hole, better steel and better (IMO) ergos.
:bug-red-white
JediKnight86

Post by JediKnight86 »

The Sage 4 looks like a beautifully made lockback. I want to try it regardless.
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

Hi Jedi - You are asking a comparison question on the Spyderco forum. You will likely get a biased opinion in favor of Spyderco. And you will from me - I vote for the Sage 4.
JediKnight86

Post by JediKnight86 »

mikerestivo wrote:Hi Jedi - You are asking a comparison question on the Spyderco forum. You will likely get a biased opinion in favor of Spyderco. And you will from me - I vote for the Sage 4.
I think the Spyderco forum has the least bias I've come across compared to BF and USN. I think in general Spyderco collectors are practical minded people. And I figured there would be more Al Mar experience here than USN since everything is so tactical there and I don't really go on BF anymore because of all the trolls.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

JediKnight86 wrote:The Sage 4 looks like a beautifully made lockback. I want to try it regardless.
It is. It also offers the advantage of Spyderco's Spyderhole opener and superb ergonomics as well as better steel. But, as much as I like it, I really wish Spyderco had either gone all the way with emulating the Al Mar look, or not tried. To me, the Sage 4's bolsters and scales with their visible screw heads don't look anywhere near as good as the Eagle's smooth bolsters and pinned scales.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
bh49

Sage 4 vs Al Mar Eagle

Post by bh49 »

I think that these two knives are very different. IMHO Eagle looks much more as a classic gents knife than Sage, but I think that 4" blade is little too long for gents knife. I like Moki Kronos much more than Eagle, if I look in this style. Unfortunately both of them do not have Spyderhole, so I stick with my Kopa Cocobolo. No complains so far.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

JediKnight86 wrote:I think the Spyderco forum has the least bias I've come across compared to BF and USN. I think in general Spyderco collectors are practical minded people. And I figured there would be more Al Mar experience here than USN since everything is so tactical there and I don't really go on BF anymore because of all the trolls.
I agree and understand, but I still think you will get more votes for the Spyderco product because most all of us are Spyderco fans.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

JediKnight86 wrote:So the Sage 4 looks like a really nice EDC/Gents knife. I've never had any of the Sage models, and I'm also tempted by the Sage 2.

Since the 4 is a tribute to Al Mar, and I've never had an Al Mar (production or custom) and I'm wondering how the current production Eagle model with the cocobolo wood stacks up to the Sage 4.
I can fully answer your question later this month when I get the Sage 4. I have the Eagle in cocobolo, as well as the osprey and falcon. I expect the Sage 4 to be a wider, thicker and slightly heavier folding knife than the Eagle. It really is apples and oranges, the designs are very different - more than 20 years apart I think. I can highly recommend the Falcon - it's much more pocketable than the Eagle and it's a great performer. It won't hold an edge like S30V, but it's still very good for EDC.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram