Para 2 or GB?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
maa14

Para 2 or GB?

Post by maa14 »

Ok so I got my edge pro and now have enough ot get another knife :) :spyder: so..... It is between the para 2 and the gayle Bradley. I am liking the Bradley because of the M4 and the carbon fiber scales. But I like the para 2 because of the weight, comp lock, and g10. So I would like opinions on both :) thanks. Also I am looking at a EDC light, the foursevens quark x 123^2 or the quark x AA^2 so any opinions on those feel free to share :D
:spyder:'s =FFG ZDP-189 Delica...Manix2...saber grind VG10 Delica...bug...Blue M390 Paramilitary 2...SE hawkbill Ladybug salt...sharpmaker with UF stones.orange and red baliyo...
Latest purchase=Gayle Bradley
Random Dan

Post by Random Dan »

I've been thinking about this same decision, and I haven't made my mind up yet either :p
GotDogs

Post by GotDogs »

In the end, you will own both. They are both in production and both fantastic knives. I have both, I got the Bradley first as I never had anything with carbon fiber. I would go Bradley first ..... sorry I did go Bradley first x2 .
I may look calm, but in my head I've killed you 3 times.
MachSchnell

Post by MachSchnell »

It might be easier to get a hold of the GB, apparently the PM2's are out of stock at most places.

Never had a Gayle Bradley so my view would is biased. But in my experience the PM2 is very capable for most everyday tasks.
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

I have a para 1 and GB, IMO a para 2 would be more versatile.

Personally I like cr123 over aa, they are cheap enough if bought in bulk online. I'd also go with tactical version, having to cycle through the mostly useless 0.2 lumen every time is annoying.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

99 out of a hundred times, I will take the GB over the Para2...the only time I would take a Para2 over the GB is if I really needed a sharp tip for some reason. Other than that, I believe that the GB is the superior knife in every regard.

I think that the materials are just perfect, the F&F is the best I have seen, the ergos fit my hand much better than the Para2 (I find that the palm swell on the Para2 is too large and in the standard grip there just isn't enough room for my hand.) People rave over the comp lock but IMO it needs some serious refinement and currently feels more like a prototype than a finished product.

Of course there are probably 30 people lining up to disagree with me...

My suggestion is try to find a way to handle them both. They are very different knives in hand that is for sure.
On the hunt for...
MachSchnell

Post by MachSchnell »

As for lights I have been carrying the 4Sevens Preon 2 for a few months and it sure is sweet; it lasts long and is plenty bright for two AAA's.
Alchemy1

Post by Alchemy1 »

I have both and love both. The Para2 is a great slicer and the GB is a great workhorse.
:spyder:Sage 1, Gayle Bradley, Camo Para 2, All black Para 2, "Smurf" Para 2, Orange Para2, Lionspy:spyder:

Green Para 2 on pre order
lambertiana

Post by lambertiana »

Although I love my Para and Para 2, nine times out of ten the Gayle Bradley goes in my pocket. Ergonomically I think it is a wash, and the Para 2 is lighter and has a better point, but the GB has a beautiful hollow grind with an edge that is thinner than the typical Para and it just cuts. Not to mention the CPM-4, which is a great steel.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

maa14 wrote:Ok so I got my edge pro and now have enough ot get another knife :) :spyder: so..... It is between the para 2 and the gayle Bradley. I am liking the Bradley because of the M4 and the carbon fiber scales. But I like the para 2 because of the weight, comp lock, and g10. So I would like opinions on both :) thanks. Also I am looking at a EDC light, the foursevens quark x 123^2 or the quark x AA^2 so any opinions on those feel free to share :D
I have to say the GB is a much better knife. Of course that's just my opinion possibly based on the fact that all I have ever done is hold a para2 for about 5 minutes. I didn't even cut anything. But it didn't fit my hand like others have said it fit theirs. But hands are different sizes and we all have different likes/dislikes. The GB feels great to me. The M4 blade is definately a plus. I really like the M4 steel. What sold me on trying it in the first place is I read that it is used quite a bit in chopping competitions. The GB is one of the easiest and smoothest knives I've owned. Then it locks up tight with absolutely no blade play. Of course there are others that feel just the opposite about the para2 and GB. Both are top shelf knives and everyone has valid reasons for why they prefer one or the other. Of course my opinion is correct. That's just the kind of guy I am. :rolleyes: :) I can't help it and it's hard to be humble when you are perfect in every way. :D

I got some small EDC lights a few months ago. I stayed with AA and AAA battery lights because you can get them anywhere. My favorite is the Fenix LD-01. It uses one AAA battery and has 3 brightnesses. For me this is perfect. Simple, small and puts out a lot of light. Even a AAA battery light is enough to walk my dog using a 16' retractable leash. Actually I can see a lot farther than 16'. I put a picture for size comparison. I keep a Jester attached to it. The other knife is a Chaparral. I clip the light in my left front pocket. It makes it easier to get the knife out than if I had to reach into my pocket. I can seperate them when I want to. I hate a bulky keyring so keeping the light/flashlight combo off my keys suits me well.

Jack
Attachments
EDC Jester, (1) light,  Chaparral EDC (best).jpg
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

Personally I didn't think I would like the Gayle Bradley just from looking at it in the 2012 Spyderco catalog. I had never actually held one though until I was at SMKW s couple of weeks ago. After getting to handle one I still did'nt like it because it is too straight and slick and doesn't lock your hand in the way Manix or Military does. I almost cut myself accidentaly because there is absolutely no choil area whatsoever. You go right from the handle straight onto the blade edge. This is a dangerous knife if not really careful with it.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

RanCoWeAla wrote:Personally I didn't think I would like the Gayle Bradley just from looking at it in the 2012 Spyderco catalog. I had never actually held one though until I was at SMKW s couple of weeks ago. After getting to handle one I still did'nt like it because it is too straight and slick and doesn't lock your hand in the way Manix or Military does. I almost cut myself accidentaly because there is absolutely no choil area whatsoever. You go right from the handle straight onto the blade edge. This is a dangerous knife if not really careful with it.
I felt the same way about the GB and para2 when looking at them in the catalog. The description made both sound great but nothing "clicked" when I looked at the pictures. I ended up getting the GB in a trade opportunity that presented itself out of the blue which I'm very glad it did. Given my initial impression of the GB I sort of helped my son pick another knife he was comparing the GB to. I don't remember what the knife was. I was worried about the lack of a finger choil as you are. I realized that no knife I have ever owned from kidhood throughout the majority of my life had finger choils at all (didn't lock either). I agree you have to be careful so, being very careful I stabbed some wood several times real hard just to see how sturdy the GB felt. It felt like a fixed blade and I didn't get the feeling my hand would slip either. If I were to thrust I think my thumb being on the hole hump would keep my hand from accidentally sliding forward. When my son did get to hold my GB he liked it and said he would be getting one someday. The day hasn't come yet though. I wanted to say all that because it is the perfect knife example of how they sometimes out perform any first impression we get.

Jack
rg02

Post by rg02 »

GB is the best bang for your buck IMO! M4 is awesome!

As for lights, I went with the Fenix PD20 over the quark. It is compact, doesn't get too hot and it has a low ride pocket clip. If you loOk at most other flashlights like the quark x the lights stick way out of your pocket when clipped. My Fenix PD20 is flush with my pocket! Check out its review on you tube from going gear.com

GB and PM2 side by side
-Ryan

-Techno, cruwear Mule, Dragonfly 2 FRN, Assist, Endura FRN ATS-55 SE, Endura SS aus-6 PE, Persistence(Wife's)
-Wicked Edge
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:99 out of a hundred times, I will take the GB over the Para2...the only time I would take a Para2 over the GB is if I really needed a sharp tip for some reason. Other than that, I believe that the GB is the superior knife in every regard.

I think that the materials are just perfect, the F&F is the best I have seen, the ergos fit my hand much better than the Para2 (I find that the palm swell on the Para2 is too large and in the standard grip there just isn't enough room for my hand.) People rave over the comp lock but IMO it needs some serious refinement and currently feels more like a prototype than a finished product.

Of course there are probably 30 people lining up to disagree with me...
But I'm not one of them. ;) I agree with you 100% GB is my favorite knife ever. I own Paras and Para 2s. Both are great knives and I highly recommend them, but the GB is in a class by itself.

The D2 Para is wire clipped too, of course ;) You just can't see it...

Ken
玉鋼
Wolverine666

Post by Wolverine666 »

I definitely vote for the Para2. One the finest knives ever constructed. But , like it was mentioned earlier , you may have a tough time finding a place with any in stock for right now.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I really like the GB especially the blade but I'm not crazy about the lock. I think the Para 2 is more versatile and user friendly. If you need to open and close your knife quickly the Para 2 wins hands down.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
computernut

Post by computernut »

I just recently got a PM2 (DLC) and I'm really loving it more than I thought, it's just about the perfect size even though I thought it would be huge compared to my other knives. I don't have a GB but I would think it would serve as a good heavy duty knife rather than an EDC as it's a bit on the heavy side (5.5oz vs 3.75). For an EDC flashlight I'd go for single cell flashlight, I find all my 2xCR123 or 2xAA lights a little large for carrying around all day. Good single-celled lights: 4Sevens Quark AA/123 (tactical), Surefire E1B, Nitecore D10/D11/EX10/EX11.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Best answer: buy both.
Best interim answer: it's a personal preference matter. You need to add some serious salt to opinions that don't include owning and using one or the other knife.
My answer: I love the GB, and it's a great value, but for EDC/general purposes, I find the Para2 carries better and has a blade grind that better suits my cutting needs.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

computernut wrote: it's a bit on the heavy side (5.5oz vs 3.75).
In theory, I agree with you. In practice, I never notice my GB clipped in my pocket until I need it, so weight isn't an issue. It carries wonderfully.

Ken
玉鋼
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

rg02 wrote:GB is the best bang for your buck IMO! M4 is awesome!

As for lights, I went with the Fenix PD20 over the quark. It is compact, doesn't get too hot and it has a low ride pocket clip. If you loOk at most other flashlights like the quark x the lights stick way out of your pocket when clipped. My Fenix PD20 is flush with my pocket! Check out its review on you tube from going gear.com

GB and PM2 side by side
After seeing the picture of the two knives together I again prefer the GB. The GB is big enough for anything I need as far as EDC is concerned. Bigger than what I need if truth be told. It looks 10 times better too (IMO). Of course the para2 comes in different costumes (handle). :)

As much as I love the GB I'd like to suggest you consider the Sage4 also. I haven't used my one month old Sage4 as much as the GB but so far it seems just as tough and strong. It is a little smaller with the 3" blade. I will take a picture of them side by side later. I just got a touchpad tablet that has a camera but I haven't messed with it yet. It seems I can only take a picture of what is in front of the display. I can't imagine that being the only way to take a picture. Anyway, the Sage series has been a great set of knives and the Sage4 is living up to the standard IMO. I have a Sage1 also which is another great knife.

Jack
Attachments
Sage4 (b).jpg
Sage4 (mine 5).jpg