Para 2 or GB?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

Also keep in mind that M4 steel needs more care than S30V as it is not a stainless steel. This is the only reason that keeps me back from buying the GB. There was an indication that M4 performance is similar to M390 micro clean steel, so I went ahead and got a M390 Military.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

KardinalSyn wrote:Also keep in mind that M4 steel needs more care than S30V as it is not a stainless steel. This is the only reason that keeps me back from buying the GB. There was an indication that M4 performance is similar to M390 micro clean steel, so I went ahead and got a M390 Military.
I was concerned about the corrosion issue also. You've probably heard this before but with just a tiny bit of care there isn't any corrosion from my experience with M4. I have the GB and Manix2. I was concerned about the tang rusting because I couldn't see it. If any corrosion appeared on the blade I could deal with that quickly. So, I took both knives apart and treated the entire blade and tang with Tuf-Glide.

Patina is a form of corrosion and I decided to patina my Manix2. I was unable to because I had previously treated the blade with Tuf-Glide. I waited a couple of months for the Tuf-Glide to stop protecting the blade and was able to force a light patina. I figure if I couldn't force the steel to corrode after using Tuf-Glide then I shouldn't have anything to worry about as an EDC knife. I wouldn't use it on a salt water fishing boat though. :)

It's up to you of course but I really love the GB and would hate to see anyone pass it up because of an issue that is easily prevented. NOTE: I'm sure you don't need to take the knives apart to protect them but I did it anyway. I like to tinker.

Jack
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

I don't quite get along with the Bradley handle so I'd go with the Para. Since I have a M4 Military I don't need the Bradley for the steel fix either ;)

For a flashlight I'd get a single cell light for EDC since 2 cell lights are on the big side. Check out the Sunwayman lights IMHO better than the Quarks (I have a few titanium and normal Quarks as well). I'd get a V10r and some rechargeable cells and a charger. Good place to get them:

http://www.batteryjunction.com/sunwayman-v10r.html

or slightly more expensive version:

http://www.batteryjunction.com/sunwayman-v11r.html
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

I have the GB and Para2 and agree with everyone here that both are GREAT knives. The GB does give you M-4 however the P2 is available with m390 at a higher price. About the only negative (and it's not really much of one) in the GB, is the access to the Spydie hole and liner lock. Some have added relief their GB removing a bit of cf scale and the liner to allow for better access. I find the compression lock on my Para to be my favorite of all the locks. Easy to use, one handed closing, strong, safe, and just plain fun to use. You can't go wrong with either. If you haven't tried the compression lock I would probably vote for the Para 2. Is there a shop where you could handle both knives? That would give you a better idea of which you would prefer. It's a tough decision, you'll probably end up owning both. :spyder:
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

jackknifeh wrote:I was concerned about the corrosion issue also. You've probably heard this before but with just a tiny bit of care there isn't any corrosion from my experience with M4. I have the GB and Manix2. I was concerned about the tang rusting because I couldn't see it. If any corrosion appeared on the blade I could deal with that quickly. So, I took both knives apart and treated the entire blade and tang with Tuf-Glide.

Patina is a form of corrosion and I decided to patina my Manix2. I was unable to because I had previously treated the blade with Tuf-Glide. I waited a couple of months for the Tuf-Glide to stop protecting the blade and was able to force a light patina. I figure if I couldn't force the steel to corrode after using Tuf-Glide then I shouldn't have anything to worry about as an EDC knife. I wouldn't use it on a salt water fishing boat though. :)

It's up to you of course but I really love the GB and would hate to see anyone pass it up because of an issue that is easily prevented. NOTE: I'm sure you don't need to take the knives apart to protect them but I did it anyway. I like to tinker.

Jack
And if you do decide to take your knife apart, do note that it will void the warranty.

Like another member said, I think you may only be able to buy the GB right now as the standard Para2 stocks are depleted.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Maa14, I hope you know we won't let you getting away with getting a nice light and that be the end of it. :) If you want a knife you need a sharpener. So, if you want a nice light and get the best performance out of it you will need a battery charger and some quality re-chargable batteries. :D I got one of the middle of the road chargers with some batteries included for about $35 a while ago. I don't know a lot about lights or battery chargers but I've learned a little. One of the main things I wanted to consider is not being forced to charge the batteries in pairs. That's a real pain because what I've read is you don't want to overcharge the batteries. The charger I have will charge each battery individually, has an LED to indicate when each is fully charged and you can leave the batteries in the charger to keep getting a trickle charge. I normally remove them though.

If you haven't notice already, there are as many flashlight goofballs out there as there are knife goofballs. :) They are also just as willing to help "new to light people" like myself. There are just as many light options as there are knife options. Just a few years ago the only thing I thought about in a knife was cutting (imagine that). I didn't know anything about different blade steels, handle material, etc. Also, just a few months ago I learned there is more to flashlights than lighting up a dark place. Lots of different brightnesses, switch type options, LED types, etc. You know what that means??? Yep, more money. :)

Jack
Random Dan

Post by Random Dan »

They're a little bit pricier than some other places but knifeoutlet appears to have Para2s in stock.
maa14

Post by maa14 »

Random Dan wrote:They're a little bit pricier than some other places but knifeoutlet appears to have Para2s in stock.
Yes but I was waiting and hoping that cutlery shoppe will have some in stock here in the next few weeks since this is where I have ordered 4 of 5 of the spydies that I have and have had great experiences with them
:spyder:'s =FFG ZDP-189 Delica...Manix2...saber grind VG10 Delica...bug...Blue M390 Paramilitary 2...SE hawkbill Ladybug salt...sharpmaker with UF stones.orange and red baliyo...
Latest purchase=Gayle Bradley
_Spydieman_

Post by _Spydieman_ »

Don't have the GB but, the PM2 is fantastic!
maa14

Post by maa14 »

Ok I think I have it figured out... I believe I am going to get the GB (I will probably get a para2 later) and the foursevens quark x AA^2 and some eneloops for the batteries, then I will be set!!! Until the next knife :D
:spyder:'s =FFG ZDP-189 Delica...Manix2...saber grind VG10 Delica...bug...Blue M390 Paramilitary 2...SE hawkbill Ladybug salt...sharpmaker with UF stones.orange and red baliyo...
Jet B

Post by Jet B »

Hope you enjoy the GB, it looks like a great knife. I have not bothered picking one up because of the non stainless nature of M-4 but my edc knives do get exposed to weather. The Paramilitary 2 is definitely one of my all time favorite knives right up there with my M390 Military.

As for flash lights, I have a Fenix and an Olight that use 2xcr123 batteries but I purchased a couple 18650 liion rechargeables and a charger. The performance is much better than AA and lasts longer. I much prefer rechargeables because I use my light a lot at work.
maa14

Post by maa14 »

Jet B wrote:Hope you enjoy the GB, it looks like a great knife. I have not bothered picking one up because of the non stainless nature of M-4 but my edc knives do get exposed to weather. The Paramilitary 2 is definitely one of my all time favorite knives right up there with my M390 Military.

As for flash lights, I have a Fenix and an Olight that use 2xcr123 batteries but I purchased a couple 18650 liion rechargeables and a charger. The performance is much better than AA and lasts longer. I much prefer rechargeables because I use my light a lot at work.
I dont really care that the m4 will rust because i will probably put some tuf glide on the blade so it should be fine unless I want a patina on it. also i like the cr123 batteries because they are compact and are extremely powerful but i dont like the cost of them and where I am at they arent available anywhere except sometimes from academy. the AA's are the eneloop's so they are rechargeable and will last a long time so I like this.
Dferg10

Post by Dferg10 »

My favorites to edc are the Para 2 with carbon fiber scales and s90v. They are hard to find, but are out there. As far as lights, I picked up a few Sunwayman lights recently the A and single cr123 verson. They are small and well built.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I agree that you really need both.
The GB is an excellent piece of workmanship in a great steel (when Tuf-glide is applied to prevent rust).
But, if I had to pick one, it would easily be the Para 2.
The Para 2 fits me as if I'd squeezed a lump of clay and sent it to Spyderco and they shaped the handle based on that. I really do like the GB, but by comparison, it's like holding a piece of steel square bar.
:bug-red-white
maa14

Post by maa14 »

now i am back to deciding but i am sure about the AA^2
mil

Post by mil »

RanCoWeAla wrote:Personally I didn't think I would like the Gayle Bradley just from looking at it in the 2012 Spyderco catalog. I had never actually held one though until I was at SMKW s couple of weeks ago. After getting to handle one I still did'nt like it because it is too straight and slick and doesn't lock your hand in the way Manix or Military does. I almost cut myself accidentaly because there is absolutely no choil area whatsoever. You go right from the handle straight onto the blade edge. This is a dangerous knife if not really careful with it.
thats what i'd never buy one

para2 for me
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

With a grip to the rear of the knife, not using the slight choil and with my thumb on the ramp, I have easily stabbed through drywall repeatedly, killed a big jack o' lantern to death by stabbing and buried the knife into rolls of sod. And my grip never even shifted, let alone slipped in any way.

I think that all these huge choils and massive palm swells are making people spoiled and lazy, you still need to grip things if you want to stab them, and really...how much are you stabbing things on a regular basis? And what are you stabbing that is so hard as to shift your grip on a knife handle? Knives aren't meant to be stabbed through trees or planks of wood etc. So if you are trying, you deserve to have your hand slide up onto the blade.

On top of that, forward grips with the choils are really for when you need more tip control, and stabbing is not that.

The GB is a fine tool (or weapon when attacking zombie pumpkins) for stabbing into appropriate material.

I can see how some might not find the handle overly comfortable as it is fairly wide and deep and square, but unless you have the grip of a 8 year old girl, you would never find yourself slipping forward.
On the hunt for...
mil

Post by mil »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:With a grip to the rear of the knife, not using the slight choil and with my thumb on the ramp, I have easily stabbed through drywall repeatedly, killed a big jack o' lantern to death by stabbing and buried the knife into rolls of sod. And my grip never even shifted, let alone slipped in any way.

I think that all these huge choils and massive palm swells are making people spoiled and lazy, you still need to grip things if you want to stab them, and really...how much are you stabbing things on a regular basis? And what are you stabbing that is so hard as to shift your grip on a knife handle? Knives aren't meant to be stabbed through trees or planks of wood etc. So if you are trying, you deserve to have your hand slide up onto the blade.

On top of that, forward grips with the choils are really for when you need more tip control, and stabbing is not that.

The GB is a fine tool (or weapon when attacking zombie pumpkins) for stabbing into appropriate material.

I can see how some might not find the handle overly comfortable as it is fairly wide and deep and square, but unless you have the grip of a 8 year old girl, you would never find yourself slipping forward.
I get what you're saying. In normal use, your hand isn't going to slip forward and cut yourself. However, Bloody, wet, or fatigued hands could and probably would result in a cut if the GB is used in certain ways. I guess just see the lack of a choil or ramp as a needless design flaw in that there are virtually no drawbacks to adding one. Nitpicking? Sure. But if we weren't nitpicky about the design features on our knives we wouldn't be spending so much or using forums to discuss them in the first place. :)
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The GB isn't a tactical folder. Still people are pretty resourceful when their lives are on the line. I wouldn't think twice about the GB in that role.

Most folders have less traction and poorer designed handles. Also as mentioned generally when you hit something soft it doesn't cause much of a grip change. Buy a cooked chicken from the grocery store and stab it ;) .
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

jackknifeh wrote: If you haven't notice already, there are as many flashlight goofballs out there as there are knife goofballs. :) They are also just as willing to help "new to light people" like myself. There are just as many light options as there are knife options. Just a few years ago the only thing I thought about in a knife was cutting (imagine that). I didn't know anything about different blade steels, handle material, etc. Also, just a few months ago I learned there is more to flashlights than lighting up a dark place. Lots of different brightnesses, switch type options, LED types, etc. You know what that means??? Yep, more money. :)

Jack
You are in SO much trouble Jack. :)