m4 rust

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

I give my 1095 blades a bath in warm, fresh squezed lemon juce. I get a nice even medium to dark gray patina and that's it.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
scout

Post by scout »

For a while, I made knives from files and blued them like one would blue a gun. Does this steel take to blueing at all? I could do the blueing in many steps to get the patina that I desired and found that a greyish finish was quite pleasing to the eye. Coat the blade with the blueing solution and a q-tip. Use steel wool to even the finish. After a 5 min. wait, continue the process until you reach the color that you want. I have found that on carbon steels that you can get almost dark tactical, if that is your wish. It has excellent corrosion resistance, but still keep it preserved just in case.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

scout wrote:For a while, I made knives from files and blued them like one would blue a gun. Does this steel take to blueing at all? I could do the blueing in many steps to get the patina that I desired and found that a greyish finish was quite pleasing to the eye. Coat the blade with the blueing solution and a q-tip. Use steel wool to even the finish. After a 5 min. wait, continue the process until you reach the color that you want. I have found that on carbon steels that you can get almost dark tactical, if that is your wish. It has excellent corrosion resistance, but still keep it preserved just in case.
I was thinking that too but I'm wondering if it still would be food safe after.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Dferg10 wrote:I take very good care of all my knives. You have no idea what knives I have, what I pass on or do not, and whether I know how to and do take care of them.

I recently picked up a para2 cf with s90v and a military with
M390. I have numerous Damascus and non "stainless"steel blades.
I don't pass on superb blades generally and certainly not because I can't , don't know how to, or won't take care of them. I do pass on
M4. I have seen another example of similar rust on the same type knife here in South Florioda recently owned by a friend who takes care of his knives, and I am going to pass.

I am not amazed by the assumptions in your post- it's common on the internet.
once you have patina, rust is barely a concern
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

to the OP. Spray ballistol on your knife one night and let it dry. It seems to leave a rust resistant film and is food safe. but if you clean it , the film will probably come off. Depends on how permanent you want it. I wouldnt know though, I havent sprayed a carbon knife without a patina yet
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Does this steel take to blueing at all?
Not that well. It's different from simple carbon steels in a few ways and this is one.
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"