New Office Spydie?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

For nice, dress office knife, I would go for the new Air - that is what I want it for. the thin blade profile will be great for times when you need to get under a zp tie if it is cinched down. The other dress knife I would suggest is the Kopa in whatever flavor you want. My favorite is the pearl/abalone - bit it does have a clip - just us it for money clip and go double duty. Those are two small office friendly, dressy knives. Along the lines of the G10 Dfly, you could go slightly larger with the Urban leaf or wharnie blade style. Both are small, but have good leverage you need. My 2 cents.
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

mattman wrote:You could wait for the CF Dodo sprint...
Do we know what steel this will be sporting? Something other than S30V I'm hoping. Not that there's anything wrong with S30V but a CF sprint should have something different. CPM-M4? Way cool!

Ken
玉鋼
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Id say chaparral, sage, native 5, squeak, ... if you wait, get the air or techno
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

kbuzbee wrote:Do we know what steel this will be sporting? Something other than S30V I'm hoping. Not that there's anything wrong with S30V but a CF sprint should have something different. CPM-M4? Way cool!

Ken
to be honest, I dont think the dodo would suit patina
Wolverine666

Post by Wolverine666 »

Whether you own one or not , I'd definitely go with the Chaparral or the Leaf Storm.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

razorsharp wrote:to be honest, I dont think the dodo would suit patina
I hear you. But I'm willing to give it a try just to find out ;)

Ken
玉鋼
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

Going through the 2012 product guide. I would recommend the G10 Native, Sage1, Persistence, Chaparral since I know you don't want anything too large and intimidating that might cause some in the office to freak out when you produced it to cut some banding material.
iyn

Post by iyn »

Kousii wrote:Dragonfly 2 in ZDP189. You can take the clip off and you won't be able to feel it in your pocket. It is the perfect little knife. You can also get it on VG10 with G10 bit it weighs a little more due to the addition of liners. Your choice really. All I can say is that I have never been happier with a small knife. I take it out on public and no one cares. If I took my para2 out, that would be a different story.....
I carry my dragonfly 2 in the back pocket without the clip or a salt 1 without the clip.
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

Another vote for a reverse-S blade on zip-tie duty. The Cricket should be right up your alley.
Plan B (if you can always be prepared for zip ties) is a small, elegant knife (Des Horn would be perfect) and a nice, compact pair of side-cutters (or even pliers) for zip ties. The edge on anything other than an SE hawk/reverse-S blade is just too difficult to use effectively without damaging the cable behind the strap, the knife's edge, or both. The leverage on the tip with a Cricket (or Dodo, or most hawkbills) works much better, but side cutters are really the proper tool for the job.
—Daniel Jackson
araneae

Post by araneae »

Domanfp wrote:Ladybug hawkbill?
That would be my recommendation. You need some teeth for zip ties. The SE will pair nicely with one of your PE models.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I say get one of the new Lil Matriarch blades. Reverse S and a Delica handle for leverage. I'm getting 2.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
BigBill5953

Post by BigBill5953 »

xceptnl wrote:I say get one of the new Lil Matriarch blades. Reverse S and a Delica handle for leverage. I'm getting 2.
You know the ETA of it?
-Billy

Centofante 3|Brown FFG Delica 4|Persistence|Sharpmaker & UF rods|SS Kiwi|Manbug SE|Blue UKPK SE Leaf|Calypso Jr. FRN|Blue Dodo SE|Centofante 3|Grasshopper|Tan Ladybug Salt|Rookie Sprint|

bammann45 wrote:In Los Angeles we have roaming packs of carnivorous tortoises. I am glad we finally have a folder that can punch through their shells.
krislacy

Post by krislacy »

I love the sage 1 in my back pocket and the squeak in my front pocket... My 2 cents
tacticooledc

Post by tacticooledc »

Just got an office job myself, planning on buying a gayle bradley since I owned it previously. Great knife but I really do wish there was something more than the thumb ramp keeping your hand on the handle and not on the blade. (I mention this only because I'm going through law enforcement training while I do a tech job for an office environment, so eventually I'll be carrying knives on duty)
Dallas_TX

Post by Dallas_TX »

I've noticed that it's a delicate balancing act. That is, choosing a knife that's large enough to be useful, yet not too large to creep everyone out at the office. I know for sure that if I were to show up with a large scary-looking "Silence of the Lambs" knife, I would be instructed by Human Resources to never carry a knife again. I guess a lot of people consider a knife as a weapon, rather than a tool.

I choose the Dragonfly. AND (shamefully) if another employee is near, I open it SLOWLY with two hands. One quick spidie-flip and I would be knife-less.

I guess in fairness, I should say that we've all worked with people that should not be trusted with a paper-clip, much less a large, sharp blade. So, the company's rules much cover everyone I guess.
Splice

Post by Splice »

I've got a ladybug Salt hawkbill and I really think its the bees knees. It's way more versitile than you'd think and the h1 makes it easy to cut food without having to worry about cleaning the blade immediately.

I've also got a manbug on the same keychain, but it does see less use overall. Still a very nice knife!
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

I now carry 3 knives daily. My Spin money clip hardly ever gets used...just because I have other blades that deploy faster...I have my Jester on my keychain with a McGizmo clip to give to NKP office workers to open packages and my third is whatever I feel like carrying that day. Today, its my new CS orange PM2. Would not open that in the office. Would get too many comments...it is what it is. For an added touch of 'safety' I tell the NKPs to put the tip of their index finger on the jimping for extra control and safety...they seem to like that.
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

For zips it's hard to beat a hawkbill or reverse s. Ladyhawk Salt or Cricket would be my choice. Thin blades are nice to wedge and snip so the Air should be great too. Maybe even a Kiwi.
d.2.the.p

Post by d.2.the.p »

Blerv wrote:For zips it's hard to beat a hawkbill or reverse s. Ladyhawk Salt or Cricket would be my choice. Thin blades are nice to wedge and snip so the Air should be great too. Maybe even a Kiwi.
Just now saw the need for a reverse S or hawkbill. I'm currently at work and was just deploying a new workstation to a user. I was using my G10 D'fly to cut through the ties on a USB to mini-USB cable, and ended up slicing through the cable due to the angle that the curved blade slid off the wire in the ties. Definitely need to invest in a blade shape that can be pulled directly outward from the cables to avoid a repeat of this occurence.

Considering picking up a Cricket for office duty. Any suggestions on PE or SE?
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

d.2.the.p wrote:
Considering picking up a Cricket for office duty. Any suggestions on PE or SE?
A Cricket would work nicely. I know a lot of folks here will disagree with me, but I find PE preferable for zip ties.

A Dodo will give you the same advantage with more handle to hang onto. It was my favorite knife for this particular knife.

Ken
玉鋼