SharpMaker & Chef's Knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JohnTaylor

SharpMaker & Chef's Knife

Post by JohnTaylor »

I would like to upgrade my chef's knife at home to something that will better hold an edge. At the same time I would like to use my SharpMaker to keep it sharp. Unless I am missing something Spyderco does not make kitchen cutlery so I am looking for a recommendation that will run me less than, let's say $110... if this is realistic. Perhaps something in the 8" range...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I can't help with brands but i've been wanting a VG10 kitchen knife for a while now.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

I recently received a Miyabi chef's knife as a gift. It is made of VG-10 layered with lesser steels in a faux-Damascus pattern. They make two types: one more Western in style, the other more traditional Japanese.

Last I saw, the more Japanese (bolster-less) style knife could be had for $99. Also, Shun cutlery is very nice, and if you keep your eyes peeled you can find certain 8" Shun knives for $99.

There are actually a LOT of Japanese makers out there with faux-Damascus VG-10 chef's knives. I personally think that's a fantastic steel to make kitchen knives from, and would recommend that you use Teh Google to look around for the one you like best. The Miyabi is A-OK in my book, but really, it's all about the steel, and that layered VG-10 is grrrrreat for kitchen use.
"If you can't annoy somebody, there's little point in writing." — Kingsley Amis
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

These are very good (have the 230mm one):
http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/ProJSeries.html

The Gekko series from the same place is also very good:
Found here:
http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/SPECIALS.html

Very slightly over your budget, but the slightly shorter ones are within your budget. Both work fine with a sharpmaker :D
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Few years ago I bought Kanetsune 8" Gyuto KC102. VG10 core, 33 layers Damascus. I am still amazed by this knife. Sharpness out of the box on the same level or better than Spydercos, considering 2 mm stock thickness it slices like a laser. The only regret is that I didn't buy 9" instead. You need to be careful with Japanese Gyutos not to hit bones, it will bent the edge right away. (My wife checked this on the very first day).
I am touching-up my Kanetsune on sharpmaker and it still doing good, but probably soon will be due to real sharpening. Planing to send it out
Quite affordable knives are Tojiro Dp. I never used them, but read many good comments.
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tojiro-dp-f-8081.html
Check also this site, it is like a candy store
http://japanesechefsknife.com/
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

First of all the Sharpmaker will be good for sharpening your kitchen knives. :)
I'm currently using a Shun Wasabi set and I love it, the steel is very easy to sharpen and taes a ridiculous edge and holds it rather long, probably not as good as VG10, maybe somewhat close to AUS8? But at 20-30$ IMO it's the best bang for the buck if you want a good steel. They are discontinued but KnifeWorks and Amazon still carry some, 8" chef's knife included. ;)
Obligatory knifepron:

Since you are looking for a knife that holds a better edge, I say definitely look into japanese kitchen knives, most western kitchen knives tend to have softer steels. Also are you looking for a stainless or carbon steel?
But you know best what you like, so instead of throwing a bunch of suggestions in the air, I will just link some good online stores with good selections:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/
http://japanesechefsknife.com/
http://www.kitchenknives.com/ (Knifecenter's kitchen knife section.)
http://www.knifeworks.com/kitchencutlery-1.aspx
maa14

Post by maa14 »

Yes I would look at some of the Shun classic line as they are great quality and are VG-10 steel
:spyder:'s =FFG ZDP-189 Delica...Manix2...saber grind VG10 Delica...bug...Blue M390 Paramilitary 2...SE hawkbill Ladybug salt...sharpmaker with UF stones.orange and red baliyo...
Latest purchase=Gayle Bradley
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Shun is very nice. They generally use VG-10 (on some they use a nicer steel), layered between 32 layers of folded damascus stainless. They harden into the low-mid 60s, and sharpen their knives to a 15 angle (per-side). You probably want the Shun Classic 8" Chef's Knife. However, even without the Granton Edge, it'll run you about $169.00 from most stores/amazon. Keep a look out and you may be able to catch some sales. I would also suggest looking into the 7" Santoku, as they run a bit cheaper (more like $129.00).

Second to that, I'd recommend Henckels. They use a high-carbon stainless which holds its edge quite well (although not as well as the VG-10), and is a little softer/more forgiving than the Shun. They have some Japanese-inspired lines (the Twin Profection being my favorite) made in Germany, and the full-on Japanese lines which are nicer than the Shun Classics (the Twin Cermax line is some seriously sexy stuff). I've used the Twin Profection 7" Santoku and 8" Chef's Knife, both are wonderful. Check this out.

Even with softer german steels as used by Henckels, Wusthof, and Messermeister, at our shop we typically recommend most people only sharpen their knives about once a year, as long as they maintain them with a steel.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Captron

Post by Captron »

JohnTaylor wrote:I would like to upgrade my chef's knife at home to something that will better hold an edge. At the same time I would like to use my SharpMaker to keep it sharp. Unless I am missing something Spyderco does not make kitchen cutlery so I am looking for a recommendation that will run me less than, let's say $110... if this is realistic. Perhaps something in the 8" range...
I paid somewhere around $60.00 for a Mac eight inh chefs knife. Have had Henkles and presently have a Cutco chefs. My go to is the Mac. Can slice a ripe tomato potato thin slices. Also hace the Mac paring knife. Easy to sharpen on the Sharpmaker at 30 degree setting.
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

JohnTaylor wrote:I would like to upgrade my chef's knife at home to something that will better hold an edge.
What are you using and how often (and how) are you sharpening it?
JohnTaylor

Post by JohnTaylor »

Oh, please don't laugh. I am using a block set of Oster's that are about 6 years old. Both the drop point and curved 8" chef's knives have what looks to be rust under the microscope (40X) about an inch from the tips. Okay, now avert your eyes... Before I became enlightened to Spyderco knives and the Sharpmaker I was sharpening them with one of those cheap V shaped sharpeners. YIKES! Boy, did it ever mess up the edges! Anyhow, re-profiled both blades and sharpened the best I could with the Sharpmaker. They are much sharper. However, they get dull very easy. My wife uses the curved blade nearly every day and I must sharpen resharpen at least once per week. One of the concerns I have is that she occassionally will cut some frozen food using a significant amount of force. (some might call it ice sculpting) I might keep the Osters for her heavier duty slicing and reserve the new knife for regular duty cutting.
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

Shun knives are very well made, although the one I have has too much belly for my liking. I sharpen it and my other ZDP189 chef's knife with sharpmaker and it works great.
setldown

Post by setldown »

Focus is just distraction from distraction, so I take my moderation in moderation.
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

If you're going to use a Sharpmaker on Japanese knives, you may have to decide whether to go up or down a few degrees on the edge.

Shun, for example, appears to have settled on !6 degrees per side (32 inclusive). So if you go with the Sharpmaker's 30 degree setting, you'll have to remove some steel before you get a new edge set. In that case, you'll want to peruse these forums for advice on lowering the edge angle on the Sharpmaker, including especially the "Sharpie trick" that lets you know when you're there.

If you with the 40 degree setting, it will be more acute than most Western chef's knives, but far more obtuse than how the knife ships from the factory. You will sacrifice some of the Japanese knives' preposterous sharpness, but gain some durability.
"If you can't annoy somebody, there's little point in writing." — Kingsley Amis
Sht

Post by Sht »

Just noticed that it looks like the shun & Miyabi lines of knives just shot up in price a bit. I grabbed a Miyabi chef's knife for $99 about two months ago on sale now it's $160. Whatever you do just try out the "D" shaped handels. It might take a few meals to get used to but it is all I will buy now.
Gayle Bradley
Bob lum tanto sprint
Milie camo
Para2 camo
Manix2 moonglow
Tasman salt
Tenacious (the whole lineup)
Kiwi SS

Knives at all times
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

jzmtl wrote:Shun knives are very well made, although the one I have has too much belly for my liking. I sharpen it and my other ZDP189 chef's knife with sharpmaker and it works great.
ZDP-189 Chef's Knife? Please tell more, now please. :eek:

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
cckw

Post by cckw »

My experience with shun is they aren't all that hard and don't hold an edge any better then the notoriously so-so steel used by Victorinox & Wusthof. I have all three brands and have had for 5-ish years. The Shuns are a fancier knife, but the Santoku style gets the most use the brand is irrelevant it is the blade stylye that makes it the great user it is, but it's a Victorinox.

Sharpening systems do not care what brand the knife is & vise-versa.
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

kennethsime wrote:ZDP-189 Chef's Knife? Please tell more, now please. :eek:
Henckels Cermax 66, 9.5" of laminated ZDP hardened to HRC 65~67, made by their Japanese plant. There are other Japanese brands with ZDP too but they go for two or three times the price of Henckels.

Just an example, I bought on ebay and was a little cheaper. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/henckels- ... knife.html

A photo I took and used as avatar for some time.

I'm not sure what's with love for santoku, I really don't like it, too little weight and too little clearance for main kitchen duty. I use Shun's Chinese chef and it works much better.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

jzmtl wrote:Henckels Cermax 66, 9.5" of laminated ZDP hardened to HRC 65~67, made by their Japanese plant. There are other Japanese brands with ZDP too but they go for two or three times the price of Henckels.
We actually sell the twin cermax in the shop I work at, I had no idea it was ZDP-189. Do you know if the MD68 is also ZDP just at a higher hardness? The Chef's and Santoku they did with the red micarta and laminated with damascus a la Shun?
jzmtl wrote:I'm not sure what's with love for santoku, I really don't like it, too little weight and too little clearance for main kitchen duty. I use Shun's Chinese chef and it works much better.
I'm also with you on this. The Chinese Cleaver/Chinese Chef's knife I have gets the most use. Second is the Chef's Knife, even though my Santoku is actually a nicer knife in terms of handle design & steel (Henckels over Messermeister).

AKWolf

Post by AKWolf »

Tojiro DP is probably the best value in VG 10 or what they call Cobalt steel $ 99 240mm Gyuto at CKTG. Right now the YEN is so high, I wont be buying really nice J knives for a while. Six months ago was a different story.
9 er's.....

Latest :spyder:s...C173G, SC90FPGYE, C81GPGR2...