what blade length for a first timer?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ViperGTS

what blade length for a first timer?

Post by ViperGTS »

Hey Guys id like to give a Spyderco as a gift. This person likes the outdoors but also has an office job.

I'll need to figure out handle and blade materials but I need to narrow it down. What length seems about perfect for everything? Just curious on your thoughts

Thanks
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

There are very few things you can't do with a 3" blade. Even the humble Jester does 90% of what I need.

A second knife for camping is a great idea rather than carrying a 4+" for EDC (for most people)

Ken
玉鋼
SpydieFan

Post by SpydieFan »

What's the max legal length where you live for a folder?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:spyder:|Spyderco Bug|Spyderco Kiwi3|Spyderco H1 Salt|Spyderco Para Military 2 Black Blade DigiCam + STR Pocket Clip| :spyder:

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
ViperGTS

Post by ViperGTS »

I think max here is 4". I just wanted to take NKP in the office into consideration.

Not sure what that happy medium is that most here think.
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

Native or delica
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I would aim about 2.75-3". It's a shorter blade than some Swiss Army Knives and legal in like 80%+ of the USA. Just a few examples of many: Cat, Delica, Caly3, Sage1, Chaparral.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

If they're right handed, just about any of the approximately 3" models would work. Otherwise, a midlock would be your best choice, but you still have a good selection to choose from since there are quite a few of them in that size. My personal choice in that size range would be the Chaparral, but I have no idea what you're willing to spend.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

ViperGTS wrote:Hey Guys id like to give a Spyderco as a gift. This person likes the outdoors but also has an office job.

I'll need to figure out handle and blade materials but I need to narrow it down. What length seems about perfect for everything? Just curious on your thoughts

Thanks
3" is IMO the perfect length for an EDC folding knife. That is about max for the office I think. I'd go with a 3.5" blade if it would also be used outdoors. The Gayle Bradley is my personal favorite for a knife like that. It is beautiful enough to be in a "civilized" environment and tough enough to be in a "wilderness" environment. GB has a 3 3/8" blade. If the majority of the use will be in the office the Chaparral is an obvious knife to consider. If you don't want to go into the $100 range a D'fly would be nice for an office knife. Plenty big enough and shouldn't scare anyone into running around in circles with their arms waving and screaming. :)

Just in blade length I think 2.75 to 3" is perfect, even in the woods. But if in the woods you'd probably want a 3.5 to 4" fixed blade in addition. But the smaller blade knife could be used in the office as well as many outdoor tasks.

Jack
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Native 5.
ricechrispy

Post by ricechrispy »

Depending on how much you're looking to spend, I vote for one of the FFG Delicas (friendly colors) or a Native 5.
iyn

Post by iyn »

Just under 3" inches or Delica.
JD Spydo

Start out conservative and safe

Post by JD Spydo »

.357 mag wrote:Native or delica
I guess depending on the hand size of the person using it I personally would recommend the Native over the Delica being that they would want it for some outdoor stuff. As much as I like my ZDP Delica to me for any serious outdoor activity I would go for the Endura because of the longer blade>> or the Native because of it's brawn/bulk and it being a bit more of a ridgid folder than the Delica.

But this is coming from a guy who EDCs a C-60 Ayoob Spyderco model and also uses a fixed blade Temperance 1 on many of my daily cutting chores. And I would truly get some experience with a conventional blade before I stepped up to hawkbills which is a good blade to have when you get more experience using one.

Also if you do consider getting a fixed blade I would definitely start out with something like the "Street Beat" model. There are many Spyders that would be good to start out learning to use. But it's like the old adage that says>> "you need to learn how to crawl before you learn to walk"> and I think that goes with learning knives and guns as well.

The main thing is safety. Because I've been using knives of all types for many years now and I still get bit and whacked on occasions. But by being safe and conservative you can minimize that as much as possible.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
C.L.L 97

Post by C.L.L 97 »

Any of the tenacious line, or the delica
Caden's :spyder:'s-g10 dragonfly, digicamo para2,bug,honeybee,sharpmaker.
Newest :spyder: manix 2 lightweight.
:spyder: top wishlist: junior,D4,E4,,h1 D'fly salt,h1 ladybug salt,g10 manbug,caly3•3.5,all sprint para2's
Have to have= brad southard flipper, gayle bradley:spyder:

"combat knife is actually 10% weapon and 90% tool".~ Al Mar
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

The legal carry blade length you friend will have to abide by according to local laws in his city will be a great starting point for you.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
rg02

Post by rg02 »

how much $ do you want to spend? that will make a huge difference on recommendations :D
-Ryan

-Techno, cruwear Mule, Dragonfly 2 FRN, Assist, Endura FRN ATS-55 SE, Endura SS aus-6 PE, Persistence(Wife's)
-Wicked Edge
Benny90

Post by Benny90 »

C.L.L 97 wrote:Any of the tenacious line, or the delica
Probably wouldn't necessarily need the Resilience with it's 4.25" blade and all :D

Would be a nice camper though!
:spyder: SPYDERCO: C81GPBK2 - ParaMilitary 2 / C11PSBBK - Delica 4 / LBKS3 - Ladybug 3 / C138P - Grasshopper :spyder:

- Black on Black Spydeco's! :cool:
bh49

Post by bh49 »

ViperGTS wrote:I just wanted to take NKP in the office into consideration.
Probably Warrior will be out of question than, sadly :D
What is your budget?
If Native5 within your limits, go for it. Great knife. If it is too expensive, I would go for FFG Delica in Blue or green, probably will be more acceptable by NKP than black handled knives.
LeafStorm is great in office environment, but probably it is pushing to $140+.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Knifewing

Post by Knifewing »

I'd agree with the 2.5"-3" bade length--especially considering office carry. I carried a Baby Goddard for years in my corporate days and it was fine. But nowadays I think a Cat, Chapparal, or Lava would be just about perfect. If you wanted to go even smaller, the new G-10 Manbug and Jester are great.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

My 9 year old is very comfortable with a Delica. That's about as first timer as it gets.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Sht

Post by Sht »

Go for it you know you want to.

Military you forget it's there after the first day.
Gayle Bradley
Bob lum tanto sprint
Milie camo
Para2 camo
Manix2 moonglow
Tasman salt
Tenacious (the whole lineup)
Kiwi SS

Knives at all times