First Sage, Which One?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Fishstalker

First Sage, Which One?

Post by Fishstalker »

Ok, I'm ready to take the Sage plunge. I've narrowed it down to the 1 or 2 and wondered what everyone prefers and or recommends.
:spyder:
Delica SE G-2
Ladybug
Tenacious
Centofante III
Centofante IV
Pacific Salt PE
Endura 4 PS
Delica ZDP-189 FFG
Para-Military 2 digi-camo
Para-Military 2 black
Pacific Salt SE
USN Catcherman
Sage 1
:spyder:
BigBill5953

Post by BigBill5953 »

Sage 1 IMO. Haven't handled the Sage 2 tho.
-Billy

Centofante 3|Brown FFG Delica 4|Persistence|Sharpmaker & UF rods|SS Kiwi|Manbug SE|Blue UKPK SE Leaf|Calypso Jr. FRN|Blue Dodo SE|Centofante 3|Grasshopper|Tan Ladybug Salt|Rookie Sprint|

bammann45 wrote:In Los Angeles we have roaming packs of carnivorous tortoises. I am glad we finally have a folder that can punch through their shells.
Sht

Post by Sht »

I'd say sage 2 cause I hate bolsters, bright g10 & sage 1 seems so wimpy compared to my GB.
Gayle Bradley
Bob lum tanto sprint
Milie camo
Para2 camo
Manix2 moonglow
Tasman salt
Tenacious (the whole lineup)
Kiwi SS

Knives at all times
Spydesense

Post by Spydesense »

I have both and to be honest, I can't pic which one I like better...it kinda depends on what mood I'm in as far as which one I decide to carry. I had the Sage 3 and wasn't crazy about it, so it got traded. Sorry I'm no help
My :spyder:'s>> Fluited Titanium Millie, M390 Millie, Brad Southard, Gayle Bradley, Junior, Bushcraft UK, Translucent Blue Manix 2, G10 UKPK, Sage 1, Sage 2, Ti Damascus Delica 4, Orange FFG Endura 4, Gray FFG Endura 4,Native, Blk Dragonfly, H1 Dragonfly 2, Blue Tenacious, Tenacious, H1 Ladybug, White Ladybug, Grasshopper, Honeybee and Bug
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

They're both great, but if you're gonna really use the knife hard, I prefer the Sage 1. Easily cleaned, light, nice clip, linerlock, cf, and can be replaced cheaper. Might as well get both :D
darkstar29

Post by darkstar29 »

I'm partial to the Sage2 :)
I walk away slow tonight,
and cut through the air
with a curse, like a knife.
sixheads

Post by sixheads »

Sage one is utility and class at great price.
Wolverine666

Post by Wolverine666 »

I know it's not one of the choices but I'd go with the Sage4. Beautiful Ironwood handle with titanium bolsters and full stainless steel liners plus a sweet back lock and S30V blade = phenomenal knife.
crankitup

Post by crankitup »

My personal favorite is the Sage 2. Its a work of art. Hold one, you'll understand.
darkstar29

Post by darkstar29 »

^agreed, crankitup.
I walk away slow tonight,
and cut through the air
with a curse, like a knife.
jackthedog

Post by jackthedog »

I've got to go with a Sage 2 as well. I've had the others (1-3) and only the 2 remains. I really like the RIL and the opening and lock up is awesome. My second choice would be the 1. It's an incredibly classy knife and I do regret selling mine.
DiKa

Post by DiKa »

Sage 1. I got 3 of them. In my opinion one of the best handle designs out there. Feels great in hand. Very elegant looking and very well built.
computernut

Post by computernut »

I have all 4 and I say get #1 first, you can't go wrong for the price, once you get started you'll want all 4 though ;)
CXXX

Post by CXXX »

computernut wrote:i have all 4 and i say get #1 first, you can't go wrong for the price, once you get started you'll want all 4 though ;)
+1

#1 best bang for the buck
Wildernest Survivor

Post by Wildernest Survivor »

I love my Sage 1. It's a great EDC knife. The ergos are excellent, and the textured carbon fiber feels great and looks good, too. I am a little wary about purchasing a Sage 2 because of all of the reports of how easily the titanium scales scratch and issues with the wire pocket clip. You cannot go wrong with the Sage 1!
"Next time there's a revolution - wake up earlier!"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Vince Aut Morire

fuzzydog

Post by fuzzydog »

Well...guess I am the odd man out as I prefer the Sage 3 for EDC and basically all use...the lock makes it easy to deploy quickly and I prefer bright colors...I really think of the Sage 3 and a "mini-Manix" which I also love.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

I have four sages.
I think the 1 is my choice. The 1 has a more hand frendly handle, so if you cut hard things it's the one.
If you like a thin handle, beauty, that still is very tough, go with 2.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
Ken44

Post by Ken44 »

The 1 and 2 are my favorites of the Sage series. I traded my Sage 2 in a trade I couldn't pass up, and had planned to just pick up another. A slightly used Sage 1 popped up on the BF exchange, so I snagged it at a great price.
I like them about the same, and maybe liked the Sage 2 a little more. Both great, and i would say if money has nothing to do with it get the Sage 2. If you want to save a few bucks get the Sage 1.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I like the Sage series very much. Of those 2, I would recommend the Sage 2. The titanium is very nice in the hand, and the frame lock seems sturdier than the Sage 1's liner lock. But my favorite of the series, so far, is the Sage 4.

My Sage preference - 4, 2, 3, 1. IMO, you really can't go wrong with any of them.
:bug-red-white
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

All four versions display excellent fit and finish and the blades and ergos are virtually identical. Between the Sage I and the Sage II my personal favorite is the Sage I but, as has been noted, you can't go wrong with either one.

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!