Big news! Scary new steel, stop lock, the works!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JacksonKnives

*April Fools' Day* (was: Big news! Scary new steel, stop lock, the works!)

Post by JacksonKnives »

In case anyone missed it over on BF:
Folks,
Things have been getting interesting in the world of production knives these last ten years or so. Crucible, Hitachi, Carpenter, Bohler, and others have provided us with steel that is by far and away better than anything we'd ever seen, and the designers we've worked with have been pulling out all the stops with some amazing collaborations.

Beginning this year, things are going to get even more exciting. We've got an exclusive arrangement with a to-be-named foundry to provide a brand-new metallurgy for a few of you to whet your appetites with.
The steel is really something special. We've had good success with high-carbide content in a few well-known steels, and we know you like them enough to make the increased cost of production worthwhile, but this time we think we've really got something special. There's no branding for the composition yet, but the R&D team has been calling it "FeC^n" which has lead to the informal nickname of "freakin' amazing." And it is. Basically, the carbide volumes have been treated with a special process of heat, temperature, and time to yield the longest-wearing, hardest carbides we've ever seen. On the Moh's scale, the blade comes out at a 10.
That's right, we've made a blade that's as hard as a diamond.

Now this whole process requires a bit of a different procedure when it comes to design, compared to what we're used to. Basically, the steel can't be ground, and it really has to be fused into a near-finished state inside the PM foundry oven under vacuum. So we're working with the mill to get the blades made as inserts for a carefully-machined Titanium "chassis" that will provide the ideal profile for slicing, and of course give plenty of room for the trademarked hole-opening system. I think you'll all be really excited to hear about who we've got working with us on the machining setup and design for this blade; let's just say it's a design that lives up to his reputation in the semi-production knife world. We're happy to announce that this will be the first production knife in the world to feature the patented "Stop Lock" mechanism.
In my informal tests, I haven't been able to get this stuff to dull. It won't wear, it won't roll, it won't chip. It holds up well under a torsion load, and it's never going to rust.
The kicker is, of course, that it isn't cheap. The pilot run will be two units; one for destructive testing, and one that we'll keep here for further development. At some point in the next year, we should be able to release a slow, but steady stream of production models. Now, this presents us with a problem, as we won't actually have enough to supply our CC members or our regular dealers with any kind of fairness or equitability. So, rather than just putting them up on ebay (yes, that crossed our minds) we're going to hold a lottery-based draw for distribution. Basically, everyone who wants in will get a knife eventually, so there's a $20 deposit, but we anticipate that you might be waiting a few years if you're not lucky. Collectors are automatically granted one free entry; entries are limited to one purchased ticket, plus your free ticket if you're a CC member. We know this won't make everyone happy, but there's really no other way we can see of doing this.
The price will be reasonable based on our production costs, but it's quite a bit higher than the other products you've seen from us. As an upside to the slow and laborious production process, we'll be giving each selected buyer the option of a variety of handle materials, including:
Carbon Fiber w/inlay, Titanium w/inlay, "picea glauca" Hardwood over titanium liners, or machined titanium.

We'll give more details as we're ready to roll things out, but I thought I'd let you folks on the forums know what's coming. It's an exciting development in metallurgy that should have some very interesting implications for a number of industries, but we're proud to be able to offer some of the most obvious benefits to the dedicated knife enthusiasts among you.
Wow! I'm almost speechless! First google changes the way we type, now this! The world will never be the same!
—Daniel Jackson
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Nevermind
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
Max1975

Post by Max1975 »

Very amusing, hahaha!!!
Johann

Post by Johann »

If only.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

you had me going for the first several lines XD
darkstar29

Post by darkstar29 »

Huh? Is this real? April fools crap, right?
I walk away slow tonight,
and cut through the air
with a curse, like a knife.
Orion's Belt

Post by Orion's Belt »

darkstar29 wrote:Huh? Is this real? April fools crap, right?
Absolutely has to be an April Fool's joke.
-Ryan
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

Carbides cannot be as hard as diamond unless it's carbon carbide. This has to be an april fools joke.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
c.joe

Post by c.joe »

Had me going there! Nice haha.
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

Almost had me =p
Wishlist: Delica G10. Cricket SE/PE. Cat. Air
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

SolidState wrote:Carbides cannot be as hard as diamond unless it's carbon carbide. This has to be an april fools joke.
Thats where I knew it wasn't true lol
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

Put me down for 999,999,999 pieces please. Thank you.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
dialex

Post by dialex »

This is what I was hoping to hear for such a long time!
Finally, they refined the process of crystalizing crap to a purity degree enough to cast blades out of it. Just don't store them near any heat source or under direct sunlight because they will begin to...eventually atract flies... :eek:
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
Wolverine666

Post by Wolverine666 »

That's mean :(
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I was tipped off at the Mohs #, but the Stop Lock was a nice touch.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

A**** F*** :rolleyes: :D
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

THIS WAS A JOKE? I just signed a blank check to hold for a release date and then ran next door and sold Frank all my sharpening stuff. :eek: :( Maybe he will let me borrow my EP from time to time.

:)
Jack
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

Dammit! I was actually excited.
Sht

Post by Sht »

That was too long of a read to be a joke ban him!

J/k
Gayle Bradley
Bob lum tanto sprint
Milie camo
Para2 camo
Manix2 moonglow
Tasman salt
Tenacious (the whole lineup)
Kiwi SS

Knives at all times
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »