Oldies But Goodies: ATS-34 Spyders

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Oldies But Goodies: ATS-34 Spyders

Post by JD Spydo »

I was just thinking the other day about certain sectors of Spyders that I believe will become collectible by virtue of the blade steel they used. The ones that I think are getting highly collectible are the Spyders of the mid to late 90s made with ATS-34 blade steel.

There were some really great classics made with that steel. If my memory serves me well I think that was the first blade steel used on the C-36 Military model. Not to mention one of my very favorite all time classics that being the C-50 & C-25 Centofante models.

Oh but don't forget one of the very best of all the Spyder collector pieces and that being the original "R" model with the full skeletonized handle and ATS-34 blade. I also believe that the first JD Smith model was an ATS-34 bladed model and the Titanium Salsa used ATS-34 when most of the other Salsa models used AUS-8.

I do look for ATS-34 Spyders to become very sought after in the next 2 years. Not to mention that it wasn't a bad blade steel at all IMO. YES I do believe the ATS-34 Spyders are like fruit that is getting ripe and ready for picking. >> JD :spyder: O
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

The original Bob Terzuola knives (C-15 and C-19) were made with ATS-34. I've always had a fondness for this steel - it was an outstanding performer during its heyday. A bit overshadowed now, perhaps...

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
JD Spydo

ATS-34 was a supersteel in it's day

Post by JD Spydo »

phillipsted wrote:The original Bob Terzuola knives (C-15 and C-19) were made with ATS-34. I've always had a fondness for this steel - it was an outstanding performer during its heyday. A bit overshadowed now, perhaps...

TedP
You know Ted when you look back in those days the ATS-34 blade steel at that time was touted about as highly as ZDP-189 is now. I can remember big time knife makers like Bob Loveless were making a lot of knives with ATS-34.

Yeah I almost forgot about those original Terzuola models and they were indeed made with ATS-34. I also think that the original C-27 Jess Horn might have had ATS-34 as well>> I do think I'm right on that one and would someone correct me if I'm not right.

During that time I also remember that the high end production companies like Benchmade and Klotizli were using a lot of ATS-34 and I hear that Klotzli still is to this day.

I sure liked ATS-34 more than I did most of those AUS steels and I still carry an old BM model 640 occasionally which has ATS-34 and it does very well. But the Spyders with ATS-34 are getting tougher and tougher to find.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I love some of the earlier models it came in more than the steel itself. Not that it isn't still an impressive material; it just lacks the soul of the comprehensive package.

It's quite believable those older Spydies will continue to be sought after as functional time-pieces. :)
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

JD Spydo wrote:If my memory serves me well I think that was the first blade steel used on the C-36 Military model. Not to mention one of my very favorite all time classics that being the C-50 & C-25 Centofante models.
I have a 2 screw clip Military in ATS-34.

I've always heard that the still much used and praised 154CM is virtually identical to the Japanese ATS-34.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
JD Spydo

154-CM vs ATS-34 are very close in composition

Post by JD Spydo »

Sequimite wrote:I have a 2 screw clip Military in ATS-34.

I've always heard that the still much used and praised 154CM is virtually identical to the Japanese ATS-34.
Yeah "Seq" I've heard that myself on many occasions. I even so much as had one of the guys from Crucible say as much. And I do think thats right when looking at the charts on both of them.

I knew that there was a "Worker" model with a 2 screw clip but this is the first I've heard of a Military model with a 2 screw clip. But do keep in mind that ATS-34 does go back in time a few years. I don't think that Spyderco used it after 2000 or 01 or thereabout any longer. Unless that Titanium Salsa was made after that.

The models that they used ATS-34 on were some of their "TOP OF THE LINE" models to be sure. Those original "R" models were probably the most collectible of the bunch. As much as everyone raves over the "Q" models I find hard to understand because the "R" model was 5 times the knife that the "Q" models were IMO.

There was also another one of the Centofante models that was made with ATS-34 but the model number escapes me at the moment. It was a most interesting era to be sure.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

IMHO, ATS-34 never looked better than this...

[CENTER]Image

Image[/CENTER]
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Donut

Post by Donut »

I, for a long time, had been wanting to try a Manix 2 with 154cm and a FFG. I have read that 154cm is an equivalent to ATS-34. I believe that we will never see another (a prototype version had it) FFG 154CM model.

So, I wanted to find out what older models had ATS-34 and a FFG. The answer I found to my question was that the model I was most likely to find in ATS-34 and FFG was the Military. I am casually looking for an ATS-34 Military.

What does everyone think that the highlight of ATS-34 is?
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

hey guys,
i have a c25 that i bought at the local flea market. the one i have has the green insert, and has had the tip reprofiled due to it being broken. i bought the knife used and the reprofiliing was done by the previous owner.
the ats-34 blade takes and keeps a nice sharp edge. and because of the ffg, it's a great slicer.
this knife is a classic by spyderco.
ats-34 is a great steel, with a good reputation, although i do remember reports that it rusts easily.
the only ats-34 blade i ever had issues with was a non-spyderco with a beadblasted blade. if i remember correctly, the blade finish was the main reason for rust issues.
later,
don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
JD Spydo

the C-27 Jess Horn is the big dog for sure

Post by JD Spydo »

Donut wrote:I, for a long time, had been wanting to try a Manix 2 with 154cm and a FFG. I have read that 154cm is an equivalent to ATS-34. I believe that we will never see another (a prototype version had it) FFG 154CM model.

So, I wanted to find out what older models had ATS-34 and a FFG. The answer I found to my question was that the model I was most likely to find in ATS-34 and FFG was the Military. I am casually looking for an ATS-34 Military.

What does everyone think that the highlight of ATS-34 is?
I think that C-27 Jess Horn that Deacon just showed us a picture of is without a doubt at the very top of the list>> it's collector value is right up there with some of the very best collector pieces that Spyderco has to offer ( probably somewhere around $400 to $500 conservatively NIB mint condition).

Second to that one I would put up the C-50 Centofante>> although it is a personal favorite of mine I can back that up by saying that it is probably the toughest ATS-34 model to find second only to that C-27 Jess Horn model.

Then after that I would say that the C-36 Military model in ATS-34 would be another one my heart bleeds for. Yes there were some great Spyders made with ATS-34.

The Titanium Salsa would also be up there value wise in the collector market. they have all but disappeared from Spyderville's landscape.
coonan

Post by coonan »

I have a 2 screw clip 440vmil.and the bottom choil sets down much farther and has wider and deeper cuts much better protection wish they were still the same.
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

I had a ATS-34 Centofante 2 it had a Fully Flat ground fully serrated blade.

I carried for a few yearS and it held up very well. It was easy to sharpen and held a decent edge. I never had any issues with rust.

FFG+FS= :)
My favorite Spyderco is the one I'm carrying now :p
bigcat

Post by bigcat »

I have always admired my Wegner in ATS-34, for the shine of the blade.

BigCat
"The Power that made the body, Heals the body."
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

titanium delica is ats-34 also
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

here is my Centofante :)
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
On Edge

Post by On Edge »

The Deacon wrote:IMHO, ATS-34 never looked better than this...

[CENTER]Image

Image[/CENTER]
Deacon, I think I'd have to agree!

~ Edge
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice ... In practice, there is."
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

phillipsted wrote:The original Bob Terzuola knives (C-15 and C-19) were made with ATS-34. I've always had a fondness for this steel - it was an outstanding performer during its heyday. A bit overshadowed now, perhaps...
The old and the new:

The origional BobT was my favorite knife for years.... I don't think I've had any knife keep my top spot for that long since.

And Blerv, I have to disagree. It had the soul of a comprehensive package, especially in it's day.

Ken
玉鋼
JD Spydo

The WEGNER!! A True Spyder Classic

Post by JD Spydo »

bigcat wrote:I have always admired my Wegner in ATS-34, for the shine of the blade.

BigCat
No Kidding!! How could I have overlooked the Wegner models :o

It wasn't until the Impala model came out that I thought the Wegner model was the best folding hunter Spyderco had made up till that time.

Like I said they used ATS-34 in their premium models during that era which is why I think that in another 3 to 5 years Spyderco's ATS-34 models in their original condition will be fetching some serious money.

Then soon after that occurs I think the ATS-55 models will be catching a lot of attention.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I've always liked ATS 34 and still do. I was reprofiling an ATS 34 knife from another maker last night and I recalled why I liked it better than 440V. If it's heat treated well and not too soft it takes great edges, is pretty tough and is easy to get that bite off a fresh edge. It won't outlast S30V but it's not all that far behind. I recall when it was advertised as "the" steel to have. The first over $100 knife I bought was ATS 34 bladed in fact. I had buyers regret and didn't want to use it until much later. I was used to more expensive knives by then. In those days I could get an ATS 55 bladed Endura for between $35-40. That's a lot of value any way you look at it.
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

I have this one... Centofante Vesuvius in ATS-34.

I had attempted my first regrind on it and chickened out. Tom agreed to try and salvage it for me. I believe he did very well on it!
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]