Very Dissapointed!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Rossi

Post by Rossi »

"We will accept returns/exchanges within 30 days from the purchase date. If you wish to make a return or exchange please inform us what you would like to do and return your order to the address listed below:"

This bothers me. I don't want a knife that is supposed to be brand new but has been with a previous owner for up to 30 days. Maybe even several previous owners.
cckw

Post by cckw »

So your knife has a QC problem, send it to the Spyderco, they have provisions for this.

Anyone who thinks any factory has perfect QC needs to peak inside at the speed and volume. To believe that every single person catches every detail and then gets each redirected the right way is total fantasy. The only thing more silly is the notion that the dealer should recheck each knife before selling.
cckw

Post by cckw »

Rossi wrote:"We will accept returns/exchanges within 30 days from the purchase date. If you wish to make a return or exchange please inform us what you would like to do and return your order to the address listed below:"

This bothers me. I don't want a knife that is supposed to be brand new but has been with a previous owner for up to 30 days. Maybe even several previous owners.

This does not say they will then resell them as new at full price. Did you ask them, or can you not imagine any other way they could be re-selling these?
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Rossi wrote:"We will accept returns/exchanges within 30 days from the purchase date. If you wish to make a return or exchange please inform us what you would like to do and return your order to the address listed below:"

There was just a thread recently about The Bento Box Shop and how they don't take returns. People were wailing about how poor that business model is.

This is a danged if you do, danged if you don't, scenario. The best thing is to buy from dealers known for their service...it eliminates 90% of the crap people go through from payment to acquisition.
Spook410

Post by Spook410 »

Guessing this was an escape from their QC. Kind of hard to judge without pics. Not very defensible unless we're talking a chip that is hard to see with the naked eye. If Spyderco is going to sell premium models, they need to get their QC up to snuff for this market. Of course, everything I've bought thus far has been perfect and with their reputation for making things right this doesn't give me pause when buying more, but, well.. we need pictures. If the OP is going to throw a rock, that's a reasonable thing to expect.
setldown

Post by setldown »

Focus is just distraction from distraction, so I take my moderation in moderation.
setldown

Post by setldown »

Focus is just distraction from distraction, so I take my moderation in moderation.
thelock

Post by thelock »

Ken44 wrote:Blerv, you're right in saying a pic would help.

But I don't see why some joke about his problem with the knife. Its not funny to him. That's what caused me to make my post. He may be exaggerating, but we don't know, and I won't pre-judge him.

I do feel spyderco's QC isn't what it once was (I've been buying them since the early 90's). I've never stated that before, and I won't again. Maybe I'm just having a run of bad luck???

I'll also never start a thread about a problem i have with one, and won't even mention the knife(or problem) in any thread. I just send them back if a serious problem, and never mention it to anyone.
With my recent problems they have always made it right, or sent me a new knife, and that is why I'm still buying them for now.

I also feel their managment is aware of their recent QC issues, and is not taking it lightly. I trust it will be taken care of.
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... st10656736

ps- I'm sorry for saying what i feel. It will never happen again in a negative way. If don't think I will ever get tired of Spyderco, but if I did I would just walk away quitely.
Why would you do that? I am sure none of us want sugar coated opinions, honesty is always welcome, positive or negative!
:spyder: Paramilitary 2
:spyder: Bob Lum Tanto Sprint
:spyder: Anso Zulu
:spyder: Szabo Folder
:spyder: Delica ZDP-189
:spyder: SS Kiwi
:spyder: SS Bug set
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Ken44 wrote:Blerv, you're right in saying a pic would help.

But I don't see why some joke about his problem with the knife. Its not funny to him. That's what caused me to make my post. He may be exaggerating, but we don't know, and I won't pre-judge him.

I do feel spyderco's QC isn't what it once was (I've been buying them since the early 90's). I've never stated that before, and I won't again. Maybe I'm just having a run of bad luck???

I'll also never start a thread about a problem i have with one, and won't even mention the knife(or problem) in any thread. I just send them back if a serious problem, and never mention it to anyone.
With my recent problems they have always made it right, or sent me a new knife, and that is why I'm still buying them for now.

I also feel their managment is aware of their recent QC issues, and is not taking it lightly. I trust it will be taken care of.
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... st10656736

ps- I'm sorry for saying what i feel. It will never happen again in a negative way. If don't think I will ever get tired of Spyderco, but if I did I would just walk away quitely.
I do think honesty is the best policy.

However, this is speculation at best. We don't know what the knife looks like so jumping to conclusions at all should be kept to a minimum (on both sides). Furthermore, even if the knife was missing a tip...how the heck do we know it was Spyderco? It could be a crap dealer or just an OP who wants a new knife he dropped. This isn't a slight to the OP's moral character but IT HAS HAPPENED.

I fail to see how knives from the 90's can be directly compared to those of today, even the Delica has over twice the parts. They are getting extremely complex and very expensive. People have naturally heightened expectations on that basis and the internet has given people the ability to post macro pics and feel the world is falling apart.

Companies producing stellar products still have some slip between the cracks. If you get a couple of these, based on your expectations, it's easy to assume the company as a whole is slipping. This doesn't represent an accurate percentage unless per calculations 10% of your 5,000 knives received over the last few years have proven to be less than satisfactory compared to the 5% from 1990-1992.

Again, honesty is the best policy. Mature conversation is the second best policy and people can agree to disagree without hurt feelings. I hope the OP gets his knife fixed but won't boycott Spyderco anytime soon. I've had more problems with new cars which should be perfect given the price paid.
Ken44

Post by Ken44 »

thelock wrote:Why would you do that? I am sure none of us want sugar coated opinions, honesty is always welcome, positive or negative!
Spyderco has always made me happy in the end. I just feel most should give Spyderco a chance to make it right before bringing it to the boards.
That's just me though.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Ken44 wrote:Spyderco has always made me happy in the end. I just feel most should give Spyderco a chance to make it right before bringing it to the boards.
That's just me though.
Agreed. Dealers, Spyderco...everyone should be given a chance.

These threads live for years and impact sales. One failed lock or rolled edge and people are asking about production dates and/or model updates to "fix problems".
Rossi

Post by Rossi »

cckw wrote:This does not say they will then resell them as new at full price. Did you ask them, or can you not imagine any other way they could be re-selling these?
If you're asking can I imagine them taking returns then selling the returns at a discounted price then no I can't.

If they do then fair play to them.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I agree, threads like this are premature. The dealer/company needs to be given a chance to make it right before immediately posting negative feedback.

I'm sure I've been guilty of this myself in the past. But, this kind of slip past QC is unavoidable in our current technological and economic environment.

Recently I got a lemon Chaparral. After some debate, I sent it back to the dealer for a replacement. I've been happily using that replacement Chaparral for the last few months. The extra $6 in shipping and the few days waiting for the replacement are now completely forgotten.
:bug-red-white
Dan Vigil

Post by Dan Vigil »

Blerv wrote:Did you buy it from here: http://www.thespydercostore.com? I've never heard of them so no clue if you had a rare case of bad luck or unquestionable business. Can you post a pic?

My experience has been in the contrary. While any good company can produce a dud it's how the good ones treat you after that separates them.
Yep, exactly.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Spook410 wrote:Guessing this was an escape from their QC. Kind of hard to judge without pics. Not very defensible unless we're talking a chip that is hard to see with the naked eye. If Spyderco is going to sell premium models, they need to get their QC up to snuff for this market. Of course, everything I've bought thus far has been perfect and with their reputation for making things right this doesn't give me pause when buying more, but, well.. we need pictures. If the OP is going to throw a rock, that's a reasonable thing to expect.
Agree with some points in the quote, not others, respectfully :) I believe Spyderco's QC is pretty darn good compared with other brands in the same class. I sharpen some knives for people at work and have seen a few of them from Syderco competitors with very wacked out edges from the factory.

I agree that a decent picture is a necesity for this claim of edge damage to be taken seriously. Even if it is high res, and unpostable many of us have the capability to make it so if asked.

I have only recieved one Spyderco knife with a wacked edge. I figured it was a return and decided to use the opportunity to fix it on my own. In the end the experience with ZDP was enlightening and increased my understanding of sharpening. I have bought over 50 :spyder: 's and now retain about 20 FB and folding. I have nothing but good things to say about the Company of manufacture.

If the OP has a problem with this particular retailer it should be brought up with them first, not the manufacturing company. The retailers I deal with consistently give me quality knives with few imperfections, really only one so far that was unacceptable, and I fixed it :D

Nothing in this world, especially production knives, is perfect. If something were actually "perfect" it would be contradicting the second law of thermodynamics which basically says "There ain't no free lunch". Pardon the double negative :o ;)

Enjoy the mature tone this conversation has maintained :) Looking forward to a pic from the OP :)
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

As has been said, even the best manufacturers let a lemon slip through QC every now and then. Granted that, in theory, it should happen less often with fixed blades than with folders, since there's less to go wrong, but it still can happen. By the same token, even the best of dealers can forget to inspect a returned knife before reselling it. However, the Puukko hasn't been out all that long so, to me at least, the chances of that are reduced considerably.

Photo would definitely be of value. On any manufacturer's forum a complaint, and especially one that's the first about a given model and posted by a relative newcomer, is likely to be questioned if not substantiated.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

Anonymous wrote:I don't know what companies you are dealing with but I'd go somewhere else then. I've never paid shipping for returning a defective item. Only time I ever pay for the shipping if the item is not defective but I am returning it which is hardly ever. I always get reimbursed by the company or they give me a shipping label to use so I don't have to pay. You should NEVER pay for shipping if the item is defective.
I hope you don't have to deal with Spyderco then because if I'm not mistaken, it's $5 for return shipping.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

What chaps my rear end about these threads is the fact that folks get a knife they claim is defective or damaged, and they immediately run to this forum to gripe about it publicly before any attempt at resolution is mentioned. That's like complaining about the weather: it won't do much to solve one's problem. I don't understand the point of this, nor do I understand what kind of response people are looking for when they do it. It makes me harken back to the "microscope" threads that plagued us earlier this year.

Come and vent once you have tried to solve the problem by communicating with the dealer and/or Spyderco, without resolution.

I spent several hundred grand on a house, and it had issues that had to be resolved with the builder at the time of our purchase. I have owned numerous vehicles and spent many thousands of dollars, which have had flaws and/or recalls. From speaking to other folks, my experience is not out of the ordinary. A guy spends a hundred bucks or so on a Spyderco and something is wrong with it and they are posting all over the web conspiracies, entitlements, lousy service, flagging quality control, etc.

I don't feel as negative as I sound. I just am weary of this type of thread - complaining without action.
angusW

Post by angusW »

I don't know how someone can say QC is worse now compared to 20 years ago. I would bet that Spyderco make a lot more knives now than back then. If 0.01% of the knives back then were sent out defective and 0.01% of the knives sent out now were defective then more defective knives would be sent out now without a reduction in QC quality. None of us have these figures at our disposal and by my perspective their QC is 100%. Haven't had a defective Spyderco.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies