chinook

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
double axe

chinook

Post by double axe »

what a marvelous day!!!my chinook is arrived this AM!!this knife is BIG my mother tell me it's very barbarian.the cutting power is simply amazing(great steel)it soooo sharp(i've just strop it with my new puma razor strop)aznd i've used it on a phone directory(cut the corners with few moves).the handle is good and the g10 is well textured(better than the millie)but i think the one hand closing very difficult to do(perhaps after a wekk of hard use i 'll can do this without difficulties)

Good job spyderco like always;p
glockman99

Post by glockman99 »

I know how you feel...The Chinook is an awesome folder! I'm really still trying to decide between my PE Chinook and my serrated (Massad) Ayoob as my favorite folder.

...And the "tighness" will loosen-up a little after some use (as with most folders), so don't let that be too much of a concern.

Dann Fassnacht Aberdeen, WA glockman99@hotmail.com ICQ: 53675663
Shang Chi

Post by Shang Chi »

I just posted about this under a related topic. Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum, but I've been a lover of Spyderco knives since they first appeared on the market. I just purchased a Chinook and I do have a question about its "play".

Mine is super tight. So tight that it's sometimes difficult to get it open. I've tried lubricating and working it, but it's still stiff as can be. Every other Spyderco knife I've ever had has opened smoothly and locked tightly enough. This one is, indeed, like a "bank vault", and I'm happy about that, but does everyone else have difficulty opening theirs?

I'm a big guy and powerfully built, so believe me, that's not the issue. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Knife Knut

Post by Knife Knut »

One technique to help pinpoint what is causing the problem is this:
Press on the locking lever so it is not touching the tang, and then open the blade.

One visual sign of full break in is there will be a polished strip along the tang where the lockbar slides along it.

Knife Knut on a shoestring budget.
Shang Chi

Post by Shang Chi »

Thanks for the advice. I've tried that. I don't know if you've handled a Chinook, but it's very difficult to do what you suggested. The spring on the lock is one of the heaviest I've ever seen. The knife does open much easier when you release pressure on the lock, but there is no stripe of polished metal on the tang, so I'm not sure what the problem is. I've tried loosening the pin but that did nothing but cause the blade to wiggle. It was still difficult to open, even when loosened.

The only knife I have that comes close to that kind of tightness is an old Cold Steel folder I have with rubber scales, stainless steel liners, and a "San Mai" blade. That knife is impossible to open without two hands.

Oh, and there is no play whatsoever in my Chinook. None. Once the blade is locked, it's like holding a solid knife and not a folder. I like that part, but I'm also used to opening my Spyderco knives by grabbing the blade while they are in my pocket, and pulling them out, dropping the handle into my hand in one swift move. That's the primary reason I bought the knife, apart from it's sturdy construction, and it's almost impossible to open it that way the way it is now.

Maybe it'll loosen up as time goes on. Other than that one complaint, it's the knife I've been waiting for.
Jeff/1911

Post by Jeff/1911 »

Shang Chi,

I'm sure it will loosen up to some extent with time, they all do eventually. Although it may quite a long time to notice much difference. Just keep cycling the action and lubricating it, over and over.

Good luck, Jeff/1911.
voxnaes

Post by voxnaes »

Hi double axe,
Welcome to the Bug Forum!!
Just got word from Linda, my Chinook PE is in the mail!!!
Can´t wait!
Vox.

Repeat the mantra - "Spydie is good, Round is all - Life is Round, Life is Good, Spydie is Life is Round is LIfe. Round and Round, and Round forever." (Chuck.)
Eremitike

Post by Eremitike »

You too? Linda told me just yesterday that my Chinook is on its way! Someone here classified the Chinook as a true knife-lovers knife and I think that's so right. At least I know I spent all day handling knives at a recent show, but when I picked up the Chinook "heaven and earth moved" and I knew I had found something REALLY special. Not everyone likes the Chinook, but I sure do. Can't wait to get one of my own.

Eremitike
Jeff/1911

Post by Jeff/1911 »

Folks,

I owned one too for awhile...long story why I still don't but I intend to get another soon.

When I examined mine, I was struck by the extremely high level of fit and finish, and not just the brute strength of the knife.

I am currently trying to decide whether to wait until the VG-10 models come out to buy another or not...I think these are still in the cards.

Anybody know?

Jeff/1911.
Knife Knut

Post by Knife Knut »

I am waiting for the 2nd generation one to come out. The prototype spoke to me whereas the current production did not.

Jeff/1911

Post by Jeff/1911 »

KK,

By "second generation" model do you mean the blade steel changed to VG-10, with a few other subtle design changes? This is what I sort of remember Sal saying awhile back.

Jeff/1911.
voxnaes

Post by voxnaes »

Ohhh here we go again....Now I have to get the money for the VG-10 version too.
Vox.

Repeat the mantra - "Spydie is good, Round is all - Life is Round, Life is Good, Spydie is Life is Round is LIfe. Round and Round, and Round forever." (Chuck.)
Knife Knut

Post by Knife Knut »

I handled it at the Blade Show back in June.
I honestly do not remember what steel it was.
Last I heard from Sal, in order to accomadate all four clip postitions, two different clip systems would be needed.
Flat Ground blade reminicent of the Temperance Jr. trailing point, but not quite as extreme upsweep.
More rounded edges on the same G-10 blanks.

Jeff/1911

Post by Jeff/1911 »

Thanks Knife Knut,

If it's going to be that much different, I'll be wanting to buy one of the current ones.

While I respect the flat grind blade design greatly for it's ability in slicing, and deep cuts...I really adore the hollow ground Chinook blade style it currently has. It would look way different with a flat ground blade.

I was just hoping for VG-10, for my ease of sharpening.

Jeff/1911.
Eremitike

Post by Eremitike »

Yess!! My new Chinook arrived today (thanks, Linda) and is it a whopper of a knife! Mine is very tight, but I have lubed it and am in the process of working it...open, close, open, close, until my spydie thumb swells up and falls off. What bliss!

Question: is it recommended that I loosen the pivot pin just a bit to make it easier to open, as some on here have mentioned, or is that a big Spyderco no-no?

Eremitike
Jeff/1911

Post by Jeff/1911 »

Eremitike,

Congratulations! Your post makes me think it is perhaps time to scrape together the necessary coins as well for such a purchase. I seem to have "Chinook fever" bad.

I hope you really enjoy that new knife, and I'm not sure about the answer to your adjusting the pivot pin question. Let's wait and see what the Chinook experienced among us have to say...

All the best, Jeff/1911.