"New In Box" Spydercos

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Anonymous wrote:I see your point but that is not their job...that's the whole reason spyderco has quality control. If somehow spyderco screws up you could return it to them or if it is actually a reputable knife dealer they will deal with it at that point.
I agree.

It's a double-edged sword. A dealer trying to make sure all products are satisfactory can also be blamed for potentially tweaking/stripping and otherwise ruining a product. If it's sealed then Spyderco's real QC dept is 100% to blame/praise for the results.

For those wanting a knife shipped to a state with paranoid customs looking for gravity knives, a simple email requesting such a service would suffice. It's hard to cry foul when the dealer has an email in hand, "please tighten the heck out of my pivot plz tks!"

I don't know, just my 2 cents. I think a dealer should be a dealer and that's it. That way if you get a Byrd Robin in your Yojimbo2 box it's pretty cut and dry.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

'nother issue. Everyone wants to be able to return a knife to the dealer rather than send it to the manufacturer for warranty service. Where DO we think all those returned knives go??? :(
GotDogs

Post by GotDogs »

Ditto

Evil D wrote:Eh, i can't say i like this idea. If i buy a knife in person from a knife shop, i'm going to handle it before i buy it. If a week later i decide i just don't like the knife, even if i haven't ever cut a single thread or piece of paper with the knife..it's used now because i fondled it at the shop? If anything, my handling of that knife at the shop only guarantees that the knife in question has no blade play and the blade is centered, whereas a "sealed and never opened" knife is a complete mystery.
I may look calm, but in my head I've killed you 3 times.
Slash

Post by Slash »

Here is the problem with your request. I think some customers like to hand pick their knives, either by themselves in person at their local dealer or requesting the dealer choose them a nice one.

Your buying a knife, not a bottled drink.

A new knife is one that wasn't carried, used to cut anything or tampered with. Some come directly from the factory with scuffs and such. It's just part of the manufacturing process and sometimes the knife get banged on things.
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

gbelleh wrote:I'm actually guilty of #2 and #5!
But I can deal with small flaws in mass produced tools.
Agree! However, I see the entire list as normal behaivor. :D
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
Ed Ricketts

Post by Ed Ricketts »

Bad idea. A knife carefully inspected is not therefor used.

If there's actually something wrong with the knife, file a complaint and don't buy from the supposedly reputable dealer.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

BAL wrote:We hunt that sob down and beat him about the head, neck, chest, feet and *** bone.
I'm sorry, but I nearly wet myself when I read this. :eek: LOL! :D
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

Don't we all ask our favorite vendors to check our buys first for fit, finish and lockup...and to pick us out a knife as if it were fit for a major beatified Saint?

Sealed boxes?...those are for Triscuits. ;)
"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt."
"Measure for Measure"
-W. Shakespeare
Drkknight614

Post by Drkknight614 »

Anonymous wrote:I see your point but that is not their job...that's the whole reason spyderco has quality control. If somehow spyderco screws up you could return it to them or if it is actually a reputable knife dealer they will deal with it at that point.
Might not be there job, but Id rather have them see an issue and send me one without one, instead of ordering, waiting 3-5 days for delivery, finding out its not right, contacting the dealer, sending it back, and waiting to recieve my new item. Some dealers will ship the new item before you send the other back, some wont. Some wont cover the return shipping either. The total time before you get your correct item could be 2 weeks now. I'll pass, they can check my knife if thats there thing.
Manix 2 DLC, Delica 4 FFG, Ladybug 3,County Comm H1 Ladybug 3 , Endura 4 FFG G10, C94 UKPK Leaf, Atlantic Salt, Military Camo DLC,Sage 1 Para 2 DLC, Delica 4.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Diamondback wrote:Don't we all ask our favorite vendors to check our buys for fit, finish and lockup...and to pick us out a knife as if it were fit for a major beatified Saint.

Sealed boxes don't mean a thing !!
If anything a sealed box would only prevent vendors from doing this anymore, and they would likely all adopt a "no return once opened" policy or come up with some stupid restocking fee.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

how are you suppose to sell something you cant see or hold?

this would kill spydercos sales.
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

Evil D wrote:If anything a sealed box would only prevent vendors from doing this anymore, and they would likely all adopt a "no return once opened" policy or come up with some stupid restocking fee.
....Indeed. And then we all would be even more unbearable here on the forum than typical. :D
"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt."
"Measure for Measure"
-W. Shakespeare
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

sir_mike wrote: I pull every knife from the box and look it over for any issues because if it has any issues or defects, I need to get it back for a replacement. I also think it is fine to take one out of a box and cut a piece of paper to test sharpness as that is also part of inspecting the knife.

I would still call them NIB as I never carried it or cut anything but a piece of paper to test sharpness. I would call LNIB as I might have carried it once or twice but never used the knife to cut anything. I might have stuck in my pocket, went it town with it, ran an arrand, came home and put it back in the box. If the clip has any wear at all, I would note that if I was selling it.

The main thing is full disclosure. If I used it, I say I used it. If I played with it, I say I played with, whether I opened/closed it "X" amount of times or cut a piece of computer paper scrap to check it out. I disclose it. If I put it in my pocket for a week and did or didnt use it, I disclose that too.
I would agree with this.
Sonny
pmbspyder

Post by pmbspyder »

Would you really feel more comfortable buying a spydie on eBay going on just a picture of a sealed box? I can appreciate the rant, but it just doesn't make any sense to me...
Latest :spyder:: Yojimbo 2
blackwell

Post by blackwell »

In response to people saying the seller checks for fit and finish, why isn't QC spydercos job?

RIOT wrote:how are you suppose to sell something you cant see or hold?

this would kill spydercos sales.
When ordering online they have a stock photo of the product anyway (unless your buying from ebay) so you can it. In person I understand you would want to handle the knife though.
:spyder:C81GGY20CP2 Para 2 sprint - EDC
:spyder:C157GTIP Lionspy
JD Spydo

Too narrow of definition for "NEW" IMO

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:Eh, i can't say i like this idea. If i buy a knife in person from a knife shop, i'm going to handle it before i buy it. If a week later i decide i just don't like the knife, even if i haven't ever cut a single thread or piece of paper with the knife..it's used now because i fondled it at the shop? If anything, my handling of that knife at the shop only guarantees that the knife in question has no blade play and the blade is centered, whereas a "sealed and never opened" knife is a complete mystery.
Well Blackwell you might interpret my response as "confrontational" but I can assure that isn't my intention at all>> However I do agree with what Evil D just said and I will even add some to it. First of all if you want to define a new knife by being completely unhandled by human hands that just isn't possible or realistic. Because look at how many people at the Spyderco factory handle it.

And if that blade has fingerprints which are very easily remedied by the way that to me does not in any way make it a used knife. Spyderco knives truly are a product that most people do want to look over before they buy it.

And like the other guys are saying how would you take pictures or display the knife for prospective buyers if you couldn't show it to them? >> either by picture or display? To me a used knife is one that has been carried in your pocket for one or more days and shows micro scratches on the clip ( which are pretty much unavoidable if you carry it for 2 or more days).

And like Evil D says how would you possibly know if the knife meets all the quality control standards if you aren't allowed to at least test it out functionally to see if it is put together correctly?

I do appreciate what you are saying but I still deem a knife to be "new" unless there are visible marks of wear and tear on the blade and handle. By your criteria there would be very few truly "NEW" knives out there. I do see your point though and there are a lot of traders who do lie like politicians in the marketplace but I also don't want to make it impossible for someone to market a knife that is in virtually pristine condition. Just my 2 cents. >> JD :spyder: O
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

Maybe clear, clamshell packaging would eliminate this issue. But I hate opening clamshell packaging. I would sooner have the mumps than open clamshell packaging, even with the best of cutlery.