"New In Box" Spydercos

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
blackwell

"New In Box" Spydercos

Post by blackwell »

While I love the spyderco boxes and dont want them gone, I have a request. Sal, please put sealing stickers on both sides of the box, if the seals are broken it is no longer "New in Box" it is 'USED". I say this because knives I have bought both from reputable online knife retailers to ebay have obviously been played with before purchase, whether it be by fingerprints on the blade, or being put back carelessly or without the plastic back in the box. If the blade has been flicked open, a sheet of paper cut, etc It is not new, its used. Sorry for the rant, it just annoys to spend money on a new knife, but it was being used or played with by seller before hand.
:spyder:C81GGY20CP2 Para 2 sprint - EDC
:spyder:C157GTIP Lionspy
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

I vouch for that. Good idea you have there. The only thing that I would be concerned of is that if you don't want the seal (because you opened it), the box coating will be torn.
Wishlist: Delica G10. Cricket SE/PE. Cat. Air
MachSchnell

Post by MachSchnell »

I think that's the point of the box so they can been taken out for pic's and such. Just because they've been taken out for pics' and possible even cut minor things like paper they are essentially new. Even ones that have never been opened since leaving the SFO have been handle, opened, and inspected prior to their boxing. And how would end sellers market/sell products in their inventory without showcasing their knives if all of them had seals?

I see your point but I'm sure that every knife I have purchased has been at least looked over by the dealer/seller before shipping. In the end they're just tools meant to be used, and regardless of the fact if the knife is NIB, Used, or Open Box does not affect it's effectiveness of it's intended usage.

I find that listings of knives as NIB, LNIB, RARE, blah etc... is just a crock full of doo doo to take advantage of people not in the know. If it's a Spyderco and it's listed on the secondary market as NIB, it has more than likely been removed from its packaging.

If they wanted to make certain that the knife could truly be mint, 100% unused, unopened and new they would be sold in clamshell packaging. I really don't think that would go over very well, I despise clam shell packages and I'm surely not the only one.
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

The benefit to an unsealed box is that it allows people to experience the knife in their hands before the purchase. It lets them see if the handle fits their hand, if the blade is what they expected, if the lock is easy for them to use, and even lets them inspect the knife for any problems.

Of course, that doesn't work if you can only order online (my problem too), but knowing that a knife has been handled before doesn't bother me.
MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Eh, i can't say i like this idea. If i buy a knife in person from a knife shop, i'm going to handle it before i buy it. If a week later i decide i just don't like the knife, even if i haven't ever cut a single thread or piece of paper with the knife..it's used now because i fondled it at the shop? If anything, my handling of that knife at the shop only guarantees that the knife in question has no blade play and the blade is centered, whereas a "sealed and never opened" knife is a complete mystery.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

People will just find a way to counterfeit the seal after they open it, play with it, cut up an apple, carry it to work for a couple days. Then claim if there's a problem with the knife, it must've left Golden that way.
:bug-red-white
Sithus1966

Post by Sithus1966 »

I might add some people are totally anal about blade centering. If you can't take it out of the box to show that, someone might not want it, or complain when they get it that the blade isn't centered.
C05, C05S, C10SRD, C10SBK(x2), C10FPBR, C10GRE, C10FPGR, C11, C11FPBK, C12SBK2, C14 C17 C21, C28BK, C28BK2, C28YL2, C36, C45, C54GPBN, C77, C80GPOR, C81, C81GS, C81GBK2, C85GP2, C86, C86P, C86PET, C90, C94, C95, C106, C109, C116, C122, C123CF, C123, C123GBL, C126(x2), C132GP, C135GP, C136, C137, C138, C140, C142, C146CFP, C148, C158TIP, C161GP, C162, C163PBK, C164GPBN, LBK, LBKII(x2), LYL3HB, LGRE3, MBK, FB20, FB23, FB24SBK, FB31SBK, FBPBK, MT12, MT13, MT16, Woodcraft.
sir_mike

Post by sir_mike »

I list knives all the time as NIB, LNIB, Used and there is a difference. I pull every knife from the box and look it over for any issues because if it has any issues or defects, I need to get it back for a replacement. Some knives I buy for "safe queens" and dont want to buy one and just throw it in a drawer and forget about, then perhaps years later pull it out to sell and find it if has some defects so I cannot sell it. I also think it is fine to take one out of a box and cut a piece of paper to test sharpness as that is also part of inspecting the knife.

I would still call them NIB as I never carried it or cut anything but a piece of paper to test sharpness. I also have some I just look at but dont cut even paper with it and still call it NIB. I would call LNIB as I might have carried it once or twice but never used the knife to cut anything. I might have stuck in my pocket, went it town with it, ran an arrand, came home and put it back in the box. If the clip has any wear at all, I would note that if I was selling it.

The main thing is full disclosure. If I used it, I say I used it. If I played with it, I say I played with, whether I opened/closed it "X" amount of times or cut a piece of computer paper scrap to check it out. I disclose it. If I put it in my pocket for a week and did or didnt use it, I disclose that too.

I agree with the idea that sealing each end could make it easier to buy items because it should simplify it as it is either NEW or USED but I have some Victorinox Swiss Army knifes that have those dots on each end sealing the box but I have received them where they werent sealed and that doesnt mean it was used but could mean that they just didnt stick very well.

I dont know what the right answer is but personally, I like to open the box because it isnt sealed and inspect the knife for any flaws or defects. If the box was sealed, I wouldnt open it unless I was going to make it my user knife and if I decided to sell it at that point, I couldnt call it NIB...
sir_mike

Post by sir_mike »

Sithus1966 wrote:I might add some people are totally anal about blade centering. If you can't take it out of the box to show that, someone might not want it, or complain when they get it that the blade isn't centered.
I have had that done to me! I also had a Delica that I took out of the box for a picture so I could use the exact picture and posted it for sale but once the guy received the knife he said it wasnt what he wanted and pissed and moaned about it. I told him it was exactly like the picture and ad stated as well as it was described perfectly but he said he didnt want it cause it wasnt what he had thought he was getting. WTF is that?
Wolverine666

Post by Wolverine666 »

I always have the knife shops that I order from check the new knife that I am buying to make sure that the blade is centered and that there are no scratches on the knife. It's better to have the shop check it for you so you get exactly what you want without any imperfections. I vote for "No Seals".
markg

Post by markg »

Ah... Bad idea.

1.) Some dealers need to adjust pivot tension for international sales. This would require them to get into the box.

2.) What about a knife that is needed for display? Should that now be "used?" No...

3.) Some folks wish to inspect the knife before purchase, would that make it "used?" I do agree, however that cutting paper before sale is crossing the line a bit for me.

4.) The stickers and the time to put them on, is time and materials that will ultimately add to costs. This could potentially increase returns to Spyderco by dealers if the sticker was broken or not sealed, etc.

5.) Keep in mind, Spyderco's (because of the "hump") have lot of exposed blade when closed. Finger prints on this part of the knife are a given. I have often suspected that some of the smudges and prints may actually be coming from the factory during QC and packing. I doubt most dealers are opening knives and playing with them before they ship them to you. So, a sealed box does not solve your problem.

If you are having issues buy from different people. If your issue is secondary sales from auction sites... Well you take your risks there.
Drkknight614

Post by Drkknight614 »

blackwell wrote:While I love the spyderco boxes and dont want them gone, I have a request. Sal, please put sealing stickers on both sides of the box, if the seals are broken it is no longer "New in Box" it is 'USED". I say this because knives I have bought both from reputable online knife retailers to ebay have obviously been played with before purchase, whether it be by fingerprints on the blade, or being put back carelessly or without the plastic back in the box. If the blade has been flicked open, a sheet of paper cut, etc It is not new, its used. Sorry for the rant, it just annoys to spend money on a new knife, but it was being used or played with by seller before hand.
Would you rather buy a knife from a reputable online store and it be messed up when you get it? Granted Spydercos quality control is excellent, many reputable knife dealers inspect the product prior to shipping them out. Also like others have said, this allows people to see and handle the knife prior to in store purchases. Also knives are always displayed. I dont recall any of my knives Ive bought that come in boxes having any sort of seal on them. And I dont agree with if the knife has been handled or flicked open it is not new. If its been carried, exposed to the elements and has cut something, then it isnt new. People test drive cars? Does that make them not new anymore?
Manix 2 DLC, Delica 4 FFG, Ladybug 3,County Comm H1 Ladybug 3 , Endura 4 FFG G10, C94 UKPK Leaf, Atlantic Salt, Military Camo DLC,Sage 1 Para 2 DLC, Delica 4.
BladePlay

Post by BladePlay »

sir_mike wrote:I have had that done to me! I also had a Delica that I took out of the box for a picture so I could use the exact picture and posted it for sale but once the guy received the knife he said it wasnt what he wanted and pissed and moaned about it. I told him it was exactly like the picture and ad stated as well as it was described perfectly but he said he didnt want it cause it wasnt what he had thought he was getting. WTF is that?
I've had that happen to me with a new iPad I sold....still in wrap!! Guy didn't think that was what he was buying!?!

[align=]“There never was a good knife made of bad steel”[/align]
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

What about the chump who buys a knife, disassembles it and makes a Youtube vid, puts it together like a slack-jawed Neanderthal, and mails it back in?

I know this accounts for probably 1/100 returns but it's still a looming thought in my mind. A reason to buy from qualified and intelligent dealers.
BAL

Post by BAL »

Blerv wrote:What about the chump who buys a knife, disassembles it and makes a Youtube vid, puts it together like a slack-jawed Neanderthal, and mails it back in?

I know this accounts for probably 1/100 returns but it's still a looming thought in my mind. A reason to buy from qualified and intelligent dealers.

We hunt that sob down and beat him about the head, neck, chest, feet and *** bone.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

blackwell wrote:While I love the spyderco boxes and dont want them gone, I have a request. Sal, please put sealing stickers on both sides of the box, if the seals are broken it is no longer "New in Box" it is 'USED". I say this because knives I have bought both from reputable online knife retailers to ebay have obviously been played with before purchase, whether it be by fingerprints on the blade, or being put back carelessly or without the plastic back in the box. If the blade has been flicked open, a sheet of paper cut, etc It is not new, its used. Sorry for the rant, it just annoys to spend money on a new knife, but it was being used or played with by seller before hand.
FWIW, they did that for a while. IIRC, it was around the same time they switched to the red/black boxes. I hated it and, IIRC, so did quite a few other collectors. They must have gotten enough complaints that they decided to stop. At some point, even most flippers are going to want to verify that the knife they received is the knife they ordered. You're entitled to your opinion, but if you feel that a knife having been taken out for inspection means it should no longer be called NIB, I'd bet you're in the minority.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

BAL wrote:We hunt that sob down and beat him about the head, neck, chest, feet and *** bone.
Yessss!!! :D
SCARLETT

Post by SCARLETT »

Customs would have to look at it. PLUS I would have to rip the box open to get a knife to cut the seal. Also I always cut paper to ensure my knife is a knife ;)
:spyder:33:spyder:
Dreaming of an A.T.R. with combo TI/G10 scales