New knife: Urban or Cricket?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Andreas

New knife: Urban or Cricket?

Post by Andreas »

I'm going to buy a new Spyderco for my collection, only I'm a bit torn between these two: the plain edge ss Cricket and the foliage green Urban.

I live in the Netherlands, so the lock doesn't matter. The few things that do matter to me are:
Pocket clip
Although I don't use clips a lot, the Cricket has 2 options: right clip or no clip while I'm a lefty. The Urban can do both left and right and it is a lot easier to have the clip on the not-wrong when opening and closing it.
Size
So I can't clip the Cricket to my pocket, but because of the size I won't feel it at all which is nice. It's also a bit more socially friendly too compared to the Urban because Dutch people are mostly like "holy moly, that is not a swiss army knife! please don't stab me.." in my experience. Or your knife has to have the size of a lady-/manbug/dragonfly.
Materials
Both are VG-10 so that's not a problem. I already have 3 G-10 knives, but only 1 (Honeybee and Kiwi stag) stainless steel. I was also thinking about making some nice pattern in the handles but I don't know how easy that is for a first time. Also, stainless steel seems to take the temperature of the surroundings more easily than G-10 does, although I don't have any experience how annoying that might be. Maybe someone can enlighten me about that?
Shape
I'm not sure how comfortable a Cricket is compared to an Urban, but it looks like the latter is more ergonomic and a bit thicker, making it easier to grip. (Not to mention it has G-10 instead of slippy steel.) Any opinions on this too?

The primary use of either one will be boxes, letters, tape, EDC, a little twig cutting if I'm bored waiting outside for my dog to take a crap, collecting, the usual. I never use my knives hard, maybe some string but not even paracord or something. Some pattern cutting on a wooden cuttingboard may occur though.

And when I cook, I like to cut everything with the knife I have on me. I'm not sure if the bladeshape of the Cricket is really suitable for that.

So, if anyone can give me a little advice or suggestions on the choice between these two knives, thanks in advance :)

Andreas
Wishlist: Delica G10. Cricket SE/PE. Cat. Air
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I would go with the Urban, no question, not even close.

The Urban is small, lightweight, has a much more functional blade for the uses you describe. It's easier to grip, has better ergonomics, and a more useful pocket clip. I also doubt people would find it much more threatening than the Cricket.
:bug-red-white
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

gbelleh wrote:I would go with the Urban, no question, not even close.

The Urban is small, lightweight, has a much more functional blade for the uses you describe. It's easier to grip, has better ergonomics, and a more useful pocket clip. I also doubt people would find it much more threatening than the Cricket.
What he said.
On the hunt for...
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

Thanks guys! I forgot the fact that the Urban is discontinued so I'll probably want to/go pick one up soon.
No votes for the Cricket still?
allory

Post by allory »

One more for the Urban. If you want variety get both blade shapes, but not the Cricket.
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

I have a Cricket and I carry it every day.

It is extremely slim, and even slimmer if you take the clip off, so you can carry it deep in your pocket without even noticing it (with or without the clip). The Reverse S blade is an amazing EDC blade. You can use it as a hawkbill for opening letters or boxes, it has a fine point that is great for detail cutting, the belly is deep enough to cut against flat surface, and the tip is easy to use on a cutting board for precise cutting on thinner materials. The handle is comfortable in many different grips People's reactions are mostly positive, it is a small and friendly looking knife even though it has a slight claw look to it.

The only downside is that the slim handle is a little uncomfortable when you are cutting something that requires a lot of force, but that is about it.

Full Disclaimer: I own many small leaf blades (Chicago, Dragonfly, Navigator, Salsa, and probably one or two that I'm forgetting), and while those knives make great EDC knives, I always choose my cricket instead.
MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Everyone's preference is different. There is no better or worse in such subjective things :)

I find the Urban to be more useful than my SS Cricket PE was. The recipient of the Cricket in a Christmas party gift exchange was very pleased and he still treasures it after after 2 years :)

The Urban however is in my pocket every day, and even though I like the D'fly also, the Urban is my favorite. Even though it's a slipjoint it's a more substantial feeling knife and very capable. A slightly larger D'fly with a much stronger spring. Perfect for all around casual use.

I think the Cricket would shine in an SE H1 version ;)
Attachments
dragonfly2 and Urban small.jpg
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

allory wrote:One more for the Urban. If you want variety get both blade shapes, but not the Cricket.
If I had the money to get both shapes, I would've bought the green Urban and the Cricket ;)

@dbcad: thanks for the size comparison with the Dragonfly. The Urban's size looks perfect!

@cobrajoe: how's the tip holding up though? It seems very delicate.

Thank you all for all of your opinions, it helped me a lot in choosing which one is best. I'm going to buy myself an Urban and when I have saved a bit I'll probably still get the Cricket if I still want it :)
Mud Shrimp Moe

Post by Mud Shrimp Moe »

I don't own an Urban. But I just wanted to chime in that the Cricket is a great little knife. The gadget factor on it is really something, as well, making it one of my favorite Spydercos to open and close. It's my only frame lock at this time. I owned a Dragonfly 2 before I bought the Cricket, and ended up gifting the Dragonfly 2 because the Cricket has everything I would ask from the Dragonfly 2 but is just more fun to carry and use.
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

+1 for the Urban
Get one, while they're still available.
I personally don't like the Cricket so much, so if you like to buy such a small knife, I would go for the Dfly or the Squeak or the Meerkat.
Comparisonpic:

"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and beautiful knives. The rest I just squandered."
Slightly modified, R.I.P. George Best.
SuzieQ

Post by SuzieQ »

gbelleh wrote:I would go with the Urban, no question, not even close.

+1
And if you still find one with a Wharncliffe blade go with that. It's an awesome blade shape for the tasks you've described.
She: Did you say pink :spyder: sprint run?! - He: Yeah. - She: Wow, wouldn't this go great with my purple Delica?! - He: ? - :D

:spyder: Delica 4 FFG purple ::: Dragonfly Salt Yellow SE ::: Ladybug Foliage Green PE ::: UK Penknife Safety Orange G-10 ::: Byrd Robin G-10 PE ::: Delica 4 FFG pink - modded to non-locking ::: Squeak ::: Grasshopper ::: Kiwi - got snagged by the husband ::: Endura 4 FFG Orange ::: Delica ZDP-189 ::: Centofante 4 ::: Byrd Tern ::: Manix 2 Blue Lightweight :spyder:
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

Andreas wrote:@cobrajoe: how's the tip holding up though? It seems very delicate.
No problems at all with the tip. It might be a bit delicate if you ever try prying with it, but you shouldn't really be doing that with any pocket knife. I've even used my cricket on some hard jobs, the hardest probably was cutting some fairly sturdy cable ties. I'd stick the tip in where I wanted to cut, and apply pressure by levering the spine of the blade against the solid surface.
MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

I don't really have any input to share re: the knife issue, but my best to your dog.

tod
Gomer: Goober says 'Hey!'
Andy: Hey to Goober.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I really like the Urban - and have the orange wharncliffe model in my pocket today for EDC. It is an incredibly useful little knife.

I've picked up the Cricket many times, and have always set it back down. It just didn't feel right in my hand.

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
BigBill5953

Post by BigBill5953 »

SuzieQ wrote:+1
And if you still find one with a Wharncliffe blade go with that. It's an awesome blade shape for the tasks you've described.
sierratradingpost has them for $81. if you sign up for their newsletter, they give you 25% off. i go tmine for $71 shipped.
-Billy

Centofante 3|Brown FFG Delica 4|Persistence|Sharpmaker & UF rods|SS Kiwi|Manbug SE|Blue UKPK SE Leaf|Calypso Jr. FRN|Blue Dodo SE|Centofante 3|Grasshopper|Tan Ladybug Salt|Rookie Sprint|

bammann45 wrote:In Los Angeles we have roaming packs of carnivorous tortoises. I am glad we finally have a folder that can punch through their shells.
DRH

Post by DRH »

Even better deal is this one on Ebay from UnitedOutdoors - $62.77 shipped. This is where I recently got mine. Came in flawless condition.

I have both the urban and the Cricket (SS/Spydie edge). The Cricket is a nice knife, clips anywhere, and cuts like nobody's business ..... but for me, it is too small, too slippery and its overall shape just doesn't "cut it" (for me) for regular use.
-------------------------
My Knife Collection
(Updated 6/16/2016)

Dennis in PA
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

Thanks for all the replies guys, makes my consideration a lot easier. That wharncliffe looks nice although I'm not really into brightly colored handles, maybe I should get over that and just do that another time.

About the great deals on eBay: there are some great deals, yes, only problem for me is to find a cheap one that ships to Europe. The Urban foliage green I bought was 90 dollars (with a significance of 1 dollar) and 9 dollar shipping. It was the cheapest I had seen available in around 2 months, so I went with that.

Also thanks about the comments regarding the shape about the Cricket! I didn't consider stainless steel being slippery, and being especially annoying in such a small form factor.
tahomazz

Post by tahomazz »

:confused: now the question, warncliffe or leaf shaped :confused:
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

Well, I have been carrying this knife for a while now and the summary: What a shame they are discontinuing this one. Get it while you can!

I mean, the blade shape is wonderful, thin but not too thin, the spring is good, it does need some break in because it can be rather stiff, the feel and sound of solid g10 scales is really cool too. so it's light but really solid too, better than solid frn. wire pocket clip is always good but just one note: I had a really difficult time placing the clip on the left side of the knife. I basically had to hammer the screw out, disassemble the knife half and then hammer the screw back in while holding it together with a vice. That was a pain but overall not too bad. It's really sharp too and stays pretty sharp a **** long time.

Basically, again: lovely knife.
FroOchie

Post by FroOchie »

I use my Cricket as a money clip. The clip safely holds 3 cards (my two debits and license) and the 5 or 6 bills I usually carry. It's a small blade but very useful and I wouldn't trade t for the world.
...I have no knives I keep in a safe but there are one or two that don't leave the house...