Opinons on the Leaf Storm?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tr4022

Opinons on the Leaf Storm?

Post by tr4022 »

In another thread, I was asking for opinions on a tough, truly pocketable folding knife.

Someone mentioned the Leaf Storm, but opinions seem to be mixed on it. Some guys don't like the ergos with the "bearded blade," I believe it's called, no choil etc.

Looking for more input on this curious knife. Thanks in advance for your views.

tr4022
Sht

Post by Sht »

I think it's too small for me.
Gayle Bradley
Bob lum tanto sprint
Milie camo
Para2 camo
Manix2 moonglow
Tasman salt
Tenacious (the whole lineup)
Kiwi SS

Knives at all times
IrishSpyder22

Post by IrishSpyder22 »

The leafstorm is a knife I carry alot on the weekends and I like it alot ! The ergos are not the best especially when you carry a para 2 to work everyday, however they are not as bad as I have heard from other people. The blade thickness is impressive on such a small knife it also has a pretty big spydie hole on a blade this size . I don't consider the leafstorm A hard use knife but it's perfect for a general edc role. Get one you will like it alot very classy little knife!
35:spyder:
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I like the Leaf Storm a lot, but I'm one who finds the ergos a bit difficult. I've also nicked myself more with the Leaf Storm than all my other Spydies combined. Not just from the lack of any choil, but closing it is somewhat awkward and unpredictable for me.

It's a very well built, sturdy, high quality, and good looking knife. I wouldn't want to discourage anyone from trying it. But for me, it will never be a regular part of my carry rotation when so many others just fit me better.
:bug-red-white
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

I keep trying to "get there" on the Leafstorm, but a lot of users say they find the ergos less than average and, like some of the other collabs, it's on the pricey side rather than the value side of things. Obviously other people's opinions don't necessarily mean that you, or I, would find the same, but it has slowed me down on this one. The result is that I haven't bought one...yet... ;)
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

JNewell wrote:I keep trying to "get there" on the Leafstorm, but a lot of users say they find the ergos less than average and, like some of the other collabs, it's on the pricey side rather than the value side of things. Obviously other people's opinions don't necessarily mean that you, or I, would find the same, but it has slowed me down on this one. The result is that I haven't bought one...yet... ;)
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I like the idea of a pocketable folder with a fairly beefy blade, but I'm not convinced I'm going to like it enough to justify the cost. The search continues.....

tod
Gomer: Goober says 'Hey!'
Andy: Hey to Goober.
bammann45

Post by bammann45 »

Wait for the Techno :)
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

tr4022 wrote:Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I like the idea of a pocketable folder with a fairly beefy blade, but I'm not convinced I'm going to like it enough to justify the cost. The search continues.....

tod
I also like "natural" G10, and framelocks...but my experience with a Strider PT leaves me with some reservations about the Leafstorm. The Leafstorm might actually be worse, since whatever you think of finger choils in general I think they make sense on a small knife like this (yes, I know that sounds upside down ;) ).
jldc

Post by jldc »

Had one. Sold it. It's the ease of nicking yourself on the blade that got me. Nice idea, poorly executed IMO.

L
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Yeah...that was why my comment about the finger choil on the PT being nice.
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

jldc wrote:Had one. Sold it. It's the ease of nicking yourself on the blade that got me. Nice idea, poorly executed IMO.

L
Quick comment. It wasnt poor execution. It is a copy/collaboration of the Wilkins Custom. Thats how his original looks. Perfectly fair to say you dont like it, but unfair to say Spyderco executed poorly. I like it for what it is. A cool collaboration.
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

JNewell wrote:The Leafstorm might actually be worse, since whatever you think of finger choils in general I think they make sense on a small knife like this (yes, I know that sounds upside down ;) ).
Yep. Me likki-like the finger choil. Especially on a knife this size. Especially since I wear size XL gloves.

tr4022
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

bammann45 wrote:Wait for the Techno :)
Yeah, I like the look of the Techno. But the price is a little steep for me. Can't see myself pulling the trigger on that one. Consarned collaborations, anyway!

tr4022
mann0mann

Post by mann0mann »

gbelleh wrote:I like the Leaf Storm a lot, but I'm one who finds the ergos a bit difficult. I've also nicked myself more with the Leaf Storm than all my other Spydies combined. Not just from the lack of any choil, but closing it is somewhat awkward and unpredictable for me.

It's a very well built, sturdy, high quality, and good looking knife. I wouldn't want to discourage anyone from trying it. But for me, it will never be a regular part of my carry rotation when so many others just fit me better.
I couldn't agree more with this feedback. It's a very well made knife and stout for it's size. But the ergos did not agree with me in any way.
vaa

Post by vaa »

mann0mann wrote:I couldn't agree more with this feedback. It's a very well made knife and stout for it's size. But the ergos did not agree with me in any way.
gbelleh wrote:I like the Leaf Storm a lot, but I'm one who finds the ergos a bit difficult. I've also nicked myself more with the Leaf Storm than all my other Spydies combined. Not just from the lack of any choil, but closing it is somewhat awkward and unpredictable for me.

I fall into the same category as these people. I loved the design but it felt awkward in hand. I'm hoping the Techno will be a whole lot more comfortable in hand.
flash900

Post by flash900 »

vaa wrote:I fall into the same category as these people. I loved the design but it felt awkward in hand. I'm hoping the Techno will be a whole lot more comfortable in hand.
I'm also eagerly awaiting the great-looking Techno.

But the spec for that blade is 5 mm thick -- even thicker than the 4 mm, 3.4 inch blade on the SuperLeaf. Yikes!
Spydies: Caly 3 & Jr.; Michael Walker; Dragonfly, 2 & G10; Delica 4, FFG, G10, & Wave; Endura G10 & Wave; Rookie; Ambitious, Persistence, Tenacious; Sage 1, 2, 3; CAT CF & G10; Chicago CF; Ladybug; Bradley; Manix 2, Blue & XL; Native 4, 5 & Forum; Balance; Rescue; Salt I & Pacific; D'Allara; Junior; PPT; SuperLeaf; Urban Safety Orange; Para 2; Matriarch 2 & Lil'; Techno; Southard; Tuffthumbz Sage 2 & Para 2 mods; Cuscadi Pingo; Domino; Slysz Bowie
DRH

Post by DRH »

My Leafstorm arrived yesterday. Wasn't really sure I would like it, but found its design (size, shape, physical appearance) appealing. After handling it for a while, I can honestly say I am glad I made the purchase. It does take just a little while to get used to gripping it and I would have appreciated a choil .... I can manage without it. I do, however, see that this knife might not appeal a lot of folks. I can see myself carrying the Leafstorm while wearing a pair of casual slacks instead of heavy jeans.

-------------------------
My Knife Collection
(Updated 6/16/2016)

Dennis in PA
flash900

Post by flash900 »

Vid anyone?
Spydies: Caly 3 & Jr.; Michael Walker; Dragonfly, 2 & G10; Delica 4, FFG, G10, & Wave; Endura G10 & Wave; Rookie; Ambitious, Persistence, Tenacious; Sage 1, 2, 3; CAT CF & G10; Chicago CF; Ladybug; Bradley; Manix 2, Blue & XL; Native 4, 5 & Forum; Balance; Rescue; Salt I & Pacific; D'Allara; Junior; PPT; SuperLeaf; Urban Safety Orange; Para 2; Matriarch 2 & Lil'; Techno; Southard; Tuffthumbz Sage 2 & Para 2 mods; Cuscadi Pingo; Domino; Slysz Bowie
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

DRH wrote:My Leafstorm arrived yesterday. Wasn't really sure I would like it, but found its design (size, shape, physical appearance) appealing. After handling it for a while, I can honestly say I am glad I made the purchase. It does take just a little while go get used to gripping it and I would have appreciated a choil .... I can manage without it. I do, however, see that this knife might not appeal a lot of folks. I can see myself carrying the Leafstorm while wearing a pair of casual slacks instead of heavy jeans.
Yep, that's a beauty, alright, no two ways about it.

Tod