Under the microscope

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
connor

Post by connor »

Thanks Clip. I am sure rolled edges + your photographic skills will make a beautiful yet sinister work of art. :cool:
'I ought never to act except in such a way that I can also will that my maxim should become a universal law.'
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

Thanks for your posts Chris. That is really neat what you can do with that microscope. I hate to ask, what does retail normally run for a microscope like you are using? Probably not something a "hobbyist" can afford to buy :D .
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
Clip

Post by Clip »

I can't find any information on pricing, but looks like older models from the 70s-80s are going for $3-5k. I'd think this one is in the same range, not counting the light source, camera or software used to collect the data.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
Clip

Post by Clip »

Cut a good ways through some pallet planks (rough white pine) and sliced a few square feet of cardboard into extremely thin strips with the 154CM Manix2 today, and here is the resulting damage to the blade. I wasn't being easy on it either, using a good bit of force and twisting on the pallet trying to get the edge to deform with lateral loading.

50x

100x - detail from the above, looks like there might be a small inclusion as well

50x

100x

100x

100x

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Clip wrote:Cut a good ways through some pallet planks (rough white pine) and sliced a few square feet of cardboard into extremely thin strips with the 154CM Manix2 today, and here is the resulting damage to the blade. I wasn't being easy on it either, using a good bit of force and twisting on the pallet trying to get the edge to deform with lateral loading.
Sounds like you were having a bit of fun, Chris! :cool:

Thanks for the pics. Very interesting and educational as usual.

TedP
FroOchie

Post by FroOchie »

You've got some really cool toys at work. Great pics and info!
...I have no knives I keep in a safe but there are one or two that don't leave the house...
Holland

Post by Holland »

this thread is amazing, thanks for putting in the time to do this
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Toddles

Post by Toddles »

I love this thread so very much.
Dynamic Programming: It's not fun.
Splice

Post by Splice »

I have nothing to add other than that this is really really cool. I've learned a lot about edges here!
Lagrangian

Post by Lagrangian »

Hi Clip,

Wow, wonderful new pictures! :)

A couple of questions:
(1) What is a "Nomarski prism" ? Is that a conversion from bright-field imaging to dark-field imaging?
(2) For very high magnification, are you using immersion-oil between the microscope objective and the sample?

Sincerely,
--Lagrangian
--------------------------------
"What grit sharpens the mind?"
--Zen Sharpening Koan
Clip

Post by Clip »

Thanks guys!

Lag, I believe it's a way to polarize the incoming light to create contrast where there is little to none. After a quick search, Wikipedia brought this which looks like the setup I'm using. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differenti ... microscopy

And at all magnifications, everything is dry. In school we used the oil immersion technique with an older microscope, but as this one's oriented so the lenses are looking upwards and the table sits the sample upside-down on top of the lens I imagine it'd be messy if not impossible to use that method. We did get some sharp pictures that way, though.

Chris
connor

Post by connor »

Very impressive pictures, Clip!
I especially like the almost-torn-off piece of metal on the last one.

Could you possibly add some edge-on pictures of damaged/used edges, please? These should be really interesting.
'I ought never to act except in such a way that I can also will that my maxim should become a universal law.'
Clip

Post by Clip »

connor wrote:Very impressive pictures, Clip!
I especially like the almost-torn-off piece of metal on the last one.

Could you possibly add some edge-on pictures of damaged/used edges, please? These should be really interesting.

I saw some edge damage near the tip, and decided to start photographing there. From that damage, I panned in the direction of the ricasso/handle and took micros of the bad sites. That last one surprised me, I'm not sure if it tore up at the bright spot and continued left, or if that's rolled directly towards or away from the lens to make it look like it's missing. Either way, that was a bad one. I was planning on sharpening that blade tonight, but it's no trouble at all to try and get some edge-on pictures of the damage to try and get the chips/rolls from another angle. It'll probably be Wednesday though before I get another chance.

Chris
connor

Post by connor »

If the edge doesn't look spectacular enough, you could do one or two light 90° cuts :eek: into a sharpening stone. This should certainly mess it up properly for our microscopic viewing pleasure. :-)
Clip

Post by Clip »

connor wrote:If the edge doesn't look spectacular enough, you could do one or two light 90° cuts :eek: into a sharpening stone. This should certainly mess it up properly for our microscopic viewing pleasure. :-)
Maybe I'll see how it handles cutting some of our 70 HRC hardfacing :)

Chris
Lagrangian

Post by Lagrangian »

Clip wrote:Thanks guys!

Lag, I believe it's a way to polarize the incoming light to create contrast where there is little to none. After a quick search, Wikipedia brought this which looks like the setup I'm using. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differenti ... microscopy

And at all magnifications, everything is dry. In school we used the oil immersion technique with an older microscope, but as this one's oriented so the lenses are looking upwards and the table sits the sample upside-down on top of the lens I imagine it'd be messy if not impossible to use that method. We did get some sharp pictures that way, though.
Hi Clip,

Thanks! :)

Sincerely,
--Lagrangian
--------------------------------
"What grit sharpens the mind?"
--Zen Sharpening Koan
Donut

Post by Donut »

Clip wrote: 100x
Wow, these pictures are great. I think we can see the carbides! Look at the edge and how many carbides we are seeing where there is wear. The carbides are definitely helping to stop it from wearing.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Clip

Post by Clip »

Donut wrote:Wow, these pictures are great. I think we can see the carbides! Look at the edge and how many carbides we are seeing where there is wear. The carbides are definitely helping to stop it from wearing.
Donut, if you're talking about those spots on the very edge fading into the background, I think those are just artifacts produced by the software as I take a multi-layer image (noticed it heavily in the 1000x and sometimes 500x images). From the chemistry, 1 C and 14 Cr, there should only be chrome carbides and they appear acicular/needle-like or hexagonal when in a properly polished sample. At those low levels of carbon and chrome, 154CM shouldn't be showing any large formations of chrome carbides. Since this isn't polished to the extent we prepare other samples I can't say for certain that those raised spots in the micros are carbides, but I believe them to be carbide-rich areas.

Here's what I typically see when I'm looking at samples, but the page said that deposit was 4.8C and 32Cr, which is a very rich deposit. We also see these results with quite a bit less of each element:

http://www.kubesalloys.com/?page_id=282

Chris
Donut

Post by Donut »

Ah, okay, that sounds reasonable. Thanks.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Clip

Post by Clip »

More of the 154CM Manix2! I turned my light source all the way up, took the aperture to wide-open and was able to throw enough light to get some good pictures. This is the same edge as in post 143, just from a different angle.

100x - I think this might be a different view of the last picture in post 143

200x of above

100x

100x

200x of above

100x - decent edge

200x of above

Chris