The Sage called me to Spyderco. Awaiting the Sage 2...What is your favorite and why?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
aidansdaddy17

The Sage called me to Spyderco. Awaiting the Sage 2...What is your favorite and why?

Post by aidansdaddy17 »

I will soon have the first three Sage's. Just ordered the Sage 2 after getting the Sage 1 in the mail last week. So awesome. What a perfect EDC. I had a Bradley Alias II for a week....very sticky framelock and bushing was out of place. Returned it. Was looking at so many other frame locks. Finally, I pulled the trigger on the Sage 2 tonight. I could not help myself! What do you guys think? I really want the B.Southard flipper. Just not sure how much it will cost and when it will arrive.

I have had the Sage 3 for a while now. Nice, but thick. The first Sage is awesome. Conceals very well on darker pants. In the back of my mind though the Sage 2 kept calling me. For everything it comes with, honoring the Chris Reeve integral lock, simple yet complex. Amazing fit and finish. Everyone says, for the price you cannot beat the quality.

Which of the four Sage's do you carry and why? Thanks. Spyderco, stop biting me! It's your fault Sal. And we all thank you.
Jet B

Post by Jet B »

I have the Sage 1 and it's definitely one of my favorite knives. Incredible fit and finish.

I have been checking out the Sage 2 recently too but haven't pulled the trigger because I'm a bit unsure of how well that titanium lock face wears against the steel blade tang over time.
aidansdaddy17

Post by aidansdaddy17 »

Yeah, I'm worried also. Anyone have any comments or experience with the ti lock face? Neptune knives has some videos on youtube. One in particular where he compares the sage 1 and a sebenza I think. You should watch it, let me know what you think. He really abuses his knives to show quality and durability.
Spydesense

Post by Spydesense »

I have the Sage 1 & 2 and love them both...they are two of my favorite Spydies. I actually had a Sage 3 and traded it after trying to warm up to it for a couple of months. The lock on mine never got broken in...it was stiff and hard to close from day one. I have no experience with the Sage 4, but I am interested in it.
My :spyder:'s>> Fluited Titanium Millie, M390 Millie, Brad Southard, Gayle Bradley, Junior, Bushcraft UK, Translucent Blue Manix 2, G10 UKPK, Sage 1, Sage 2, Ti Damascus Delica 4, Orange FFG Endura 4, Gray FFG Endura 4,Native, Blk Dragonfly, H1 Dragonfly 2, Blue Tenacious, Tenacious, H1 Ladybug, White Ladybug, Grasshopper, Honeybee and Bug
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I've had the Sage1 for several months and it almost immediately became my absolute favorite knife, the one you keep if all others had to go. This was due mainly to how it felt when I used it. All the other stuff (smoothness, lockup, appearance, blade steel & performance, etc.) was just icing. But, very important and impressive icing. Who wants to use a knife with all the great features but feels terrible? Not me. I've looked at the Sage2 and 3 but neither "called" me at all. I also have the Chaparral and Gayle Bradley which also are my favorites. I mention them because they are GREAT knives IMO and all are made in Taiwan. Just thought the Taiwan factory deserved mention. Then the Sage4 "called" me. After I got past the first picture Spyderco released that is. That wood appearance I found unsatisfying. But I also knew pictures are not the same as holding and looking at the thing in your hand. Then I saw the pictures of the knife after people bought them. Now that's wood I thought. When it showed up on Howe's at a "sale" price it went from my wish list to my pocket. :D Now, the Sage4 is creeping into the #1 spot by a nose. The Sage1 OR Chaparral AND the GB are a great pair to carry. Chaparral or Sage1 for EDC tasks and the GB for extra heavy cutting chores (small limbs and such). Now I believe the Sage4 will easily do the EDC tasks as well as handle the small limbs as well. Of course the GB will do that as well but a blade longer than 3" is a little long for the perfect EDC knife for me. But the GB is such a great knife I could easily live with an extra 3/8” of blade. Better to have it and not need it than…, well you know. The Sage4 has the 3" blade like the Sage1 and I feel like I'd use the Sage4 on tougher jobs without worry about stressing the knife out. Then again, that felling I get may just be because of the weight. The appearance of the Sage4 is another thing that screams strength as well as beauty. The CF of the Chap, Sage1 and even the GB do not scream strength to me. Not out loud anyway. Silently though I know the material is about as strong as it comes. I always loved the car that you didn't notice until you hit the gas. Strength incognito, just like CF.

So, for me, the Sage4 is small enough for EDC yet strong enough to take the place of the GB or Manix2 that I often carry for the tougher jobs. It is beautiful also. Is it possible I’ve finally gotten the knife I started looking for a few years ago? Maybe. I say that knowing that no one knife is “the knife”. But one knife can get close I think. Even if I decide the Sage4 fills my bill of the “one knife” don’t you guys start asking me how much I want for the Chap, Sage1 and GB. :) The Sage4 also got my attention the other day by cutting my finger WITH AUTHORITY. It is one of those cuts to bad for a band aid but not bad enough for a visit to the ER. Not for a cry baby like me anyway. Paper towel and elec. tape made the perfect band-aid. I’m not going to mention how solid the lockup is with absolutely no blade play AND when you release the lock the blade swings smoothly and freely. That’s a given for a great knife so I don’t see any need to say it. So I’m not going to say it has a solid lockup with no blade play.

Just to be fair I’ll mention a couple of things some may consider cons about the knife. The lock bar spring is very strong and you have to push it way down before the lock releases the blade (which then just falls like it’s supposed to). I like this though for tough jobs and safety. It’s almost impossible to accidentally release the lock. I say almost because nothing is impossible and anything is possible (as a rule of thumb I mean). I’ve heard that titanium scratches easily but I had no idea. There are a couple of scratches on mine after 10 days that I don’t know where they came from but are visible enough that I should have “felt” it happen. No problem since I was expecting that after hearing how easily it scratches. When I say the Sage4 is beautiful I don’t mean the type of beauty you want when wearing a 3 piece suit. You know, knife jewelry. I mean the beautiful that a couple of flaws add to the beauty (if that makes any sense). The Sage4 is too heavy for EDC for some people but not for me and my lifestyle.

I think I’ve said enough. Some of you I know are saying “Is he finally going to shut up?”. That is if you read this far. Sorry for the long wind.

Jack
crankitup

Post by crankitup »

The sage 2 is fantastic. Top of the heap...along with the Para 2...and the Persian
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

Since I got the 4 that is the one that gets carried. Fantastic knife, strong, good weight, attractive. Next up is the 2. This is the only knife I have ever had to send back to Spyderco. Got it brand new and the lock acted like a slip-it. Recieved a brand new one back fro W&R and realized what a great knife it is. 1 is a nice light knife but it doesn't get carried very often as I find I will pick up the Chapparral for that type of carry (office, casual use). Not a big fan of the 3 other than the colour of the G10, too wide (yes it is slightly different in blade shape and width from the others). Don't regret the purchase as I would like to keep a full set together.
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

I have had the Sage 1, Sage 2 (x2) and the Sage 3. I only have one Sage 2 left. I liked them all. The Sage 1 got bumped out of my rotation in favor of the Chapparral. I love the idea of the lock design on the Sage 3 but was not crazy about it when actually using it. The size was good and I liked the color, but did not carry it much. The Sage 2 has a ruggedness about it that I like, and the locking action is nice. I am a titanium fan as well. Mine is a user and is in my regular rotation.
jackthedog

Post by jackthedog »

I've had the 1-3 and only have the 2 now. Easily my favorite though I may add a 1 back in. The Sage 2 actualy caused me to sell off my Small Sebenza.
Ken44

Post by Ken44 »

I'm not to fond of the 3 and 4, but I really love the 1 and 2.

I love everything about the 1 and 2, but I only kept the Sage 1.

A Dr I go to wanted to trade his well worn small BG42 sebenza for my Sage 2. I told him his was worth much more, and he said he knew that, and still wanted to trade, so I did.
Thought I would just pick up another Sage 2, but when a Sage 1 popped up on the BF exchange at a great price i snagged it.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

They are all well made knives. Personally, I'd rank the Sage I as the best looking, the Sage IV second, Sage II third and Sage III fourth, but that has more to do with my tastes in materials and my ideas of what's esthetically pleasing than anything else. In terms of what I'd carry the Sage IV would rank first, Sage III second, Sage I third, and Sage II last. If the Sage IV had smooth bolsters, it would be in first place for both. If the Sage III was available in the same CF as the Sage I, it would be rank second for both. If neither of those things happened, and a left handed version of the Sage I became available, it would be the overall winner.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
aidansdaddy17

Taiwan/U.S.

Post by aidansdaddy17 »

I also have the Chaparral and Gayle Bradley which also are my favorites. I mention them because they are GREAT knives IMO and all are made in Taiwan. Just thought the Taiwan factory deserved mention.

I think I’ve said enough. Some of you I know are saying “Is he finally going to shut up?”. That is if you read this far. Sorry for the long wind.

Jack
I agree! Taichung, Taiwan does not get enought credit. I see a lot of Spyderco lovers either hate the knives finished there or love them. Most of us that get the Taiwan knives love them. The fit and finish is always amazing besides some sharper angles and spydie holes. I read on forums and reviews that there are some that only want US made Spyderco's, which I understand. Any job here is a job made and kept. I also know, if Sal wants to explain again, for those misinformed, correct me if I am wrong. That the steel and other parts are shipped from and made here to be fit and finished in Taiwan. In that way you have jobs needed here and there. One would not exist with the other then? Correct? If we wanted all Spyderco's to be strictly US based and made, we would then as consumers pay a lot more for something that we really want. It's a double edged sword....how do the Spyderco fans that do not make a lot of money then justify and get to own some amazing knives. Especially the Sage 2 that I have coming to me. I would not have been able to afford the Sage 1 or 2. :( I hope this doesn't upset anyone. Again, correct me if I am wrong or help educate me in this. I wonder what the Sage 2 would cost if is was strictly Golden made and produced. Thanks for letting me ramble. I too, Jack!

Patrick
hiredgun

Post by hiredgun »

Sage I is one of my all-time favorite Spydercos. I just love the CF on it. I had a Sage 3 but despite my love for the lock, I felt the knife was too chunky so I sold it. All metal construction knifes generally don't interest me so the Sage 2 has not been in my collection yet, if ever. I do have the Chokwe so in a sense it has some of the same 'bloodline' as the Sage 2. The Sage 4 holds no interest for me. There you have it.
You can't display a toad in a fine restaurant like this! Why, the good folks here would go right off the feed!
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

I carry a Sage 2 often. It's a Rock Solid Knife.

I wish I could say something about the other 3 but I've never owned one.
My favorite Spyderco is the one I'm carrying now :p
ChrisM

Post by ChrisM »

I've only had the 2 but handled the 1. There is a carbon fiber Sage in my future.
BigBill5953

Post by BigBill5953 »

Sage 1 is my favorite looking out of them all. And it's the only one I have. For now...
-Billy

Centofante 3|Brown FFG Delica 4|Persistence|Sharpmaker & UF rods|SS Kiwi|Manbug SE|Blue UKPK SE Leaf|Calypso Jr. FRN|Blue Dodo SE|Centofante 3|Grasshopper|Tan Ladybug Salt|Rookie Sprint|

bammann45 wrote:In Los Angeles we have roaming packs of carnivorous tortoises. I am glad we finally have a folder that can punch through their shells.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

The Sage series is probably my favorite. In this series, I favor the Sage2 (I value its minimalist qualities). That said, I don't yet have the Sage4 (emphasis on the "yet").
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

The sage I has got to be the best for me. I like liner/frame locks. The lightly textured carbon fiber scales are comfortable, yet are beautiful and classy looking.(yes looks have something to do with my likes)
Right behind it is the II, when I need a very thin, very light folder.

Enjoy yours!
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
waterford

Post by waterford »

I feel the same way about the Sage 1...its the one knife I keep coming back to. I hope to purchase one soon!
FroOchie

Post by FroOchie »

The Sage's hooked me like the 220lb flopping fish that I am. I have all four and have EDC'd them all for a few weeks each. My order of favorites goes 4, 2, 1, 3. The gap between 4,2,1 is small and then widens for three. In my newness I've fallen in love with the sound of the lockup versus the strength for these knives. I don't do anything hard with them that they're all not more than capable of handling. However, the sound they make and the heft in your hands is all substantially different.

The 4 feels like a tank and it locks with such authority peoples heads turn. The detent on the knife beams quality. The 2 feels awesome as well but in a much different way. It's more gentleman like and modern but the snap of that RIL is sexy as a mofo. The 1 is the one I love for it's practicality. I'm not as afraid to rough it up with it's reasonable price tag, it looks works and sounds great as well. The 3, meh. It just feels crappy to me. It's quiet in it's locking, I'm not a fan of the blue G10's look and I just don't know... doesn't inspire me. It's just not the other ones in my eyes. Overall though I believe they're a really solid knife to begin an addiction to. They're all quality with history and that sits well with this guy. <--
...I have no knives I keep in a safe but there are one or two that don't leave the house...