Which Spydie will your significant other actually carry?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Which would you suggest?

Matriarch 2
No votes
Native Pink
17%
Delica FFG
25%
Other: Smaller
51%
Other: Larger
8%

Total votes: 53

kennethsime

Which Spydie will your significant other actually carry?

Post by kennethsime »

To make a long story short, the girlfriend really likes the Kershaw Chive (in pink, of course). She recently lost her's, which gives me the opportunity to make her try out a spydie. She's seen the Matriarch, and she's said she'll try it. She's interested in something for self-defense as well as every day stuff. I know the ultimate answer will be that she'll like what she likes, carry what she carries, but I thought I'd ask on the forum anyway.

So, have you convinced your significant other to carry a spydie? If so, which one/s?

Bonus Poll!: These are the three I have in mind. Which would you suggest?
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
OBJ Viking

Post by OBJ Viking »

Mine has had the early model Dragonfly on her keyring since 1996.
I am one of the 0.45%.
thelock

Post by thelock »

Pink Native
:spyder: Paramilitary 2
:spyder: Bob Lum Tanto Sprint
:spyder: Anso Zulu
:spyder: Szabo Folder
:spyder: Delica ZDP-189
:spyder: SS Kiwi
:spyder: SS Bug set
ricechrispy

Post by ricechrispy »

I've tried (unsuccessfully) to get my wife to carry a pink Leek in her purse. I don't she'd carry any Spyderco, but I think a purple Delica would stand the best chance.
Art_vandeley

Post by Art_vandeley »

Victorinox Spartan
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Kiwi and Micro-Dyad for my better half.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

None :(

She's very cut prone...she's a cook, which you would think would have her pretty up to par on handling sharp knives, but she cuts herself on a regular basis and she's told me that my knives are way sharper than what she uses in the kitchen. I got as far as getting her to carry a Victorinox Classic on her keys, but she uses the tweezers to pluck eyebrows more than anything.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I gave my wife a Vic Classic a while ago, and she likes it, but more for the tweezers and scissors than for the blade. You win some you lose some...
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
rg02

Post by rg02 »

i gave my wife a spyderco persistence to carry in her purse at all times. i dont think she has even taken it out of her purse to use it, but she has it in there lol.
-Ryan

-Techno, cruwear Mule, Dragonfly 2 FRN, Assist, Endura FRN ATS-55 SE, Endura SS aus-6 PE, Persistence(Wife's)
-Wicked Edge
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

OBJ Viking wrote:Mine has had the early model Dragonfly on her keyring since 1996.
The dragonfly will likely be my next spydie, she said she'd try mine and see. The size and precision is up her alley.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
angusW

Post by angusW »

I gave my wife a purple Ladybug. At first she wasn't too sure if she would like carrying a knife but one night a few months after receiving the knife she told me how handy it was to have it with her at all times.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

I had been trying to convince my girlfriend to carry something for ages, wasint interested in anything I showed her, saw my jester and said awww thats cute, so she has that now lol. I would say she would happily carry any ladybug sized knife.
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

You honestly left out the Ladybug and Dragonfly?
I think those are some of the most common ones. (Along with other cheaper 2" blades.)
My GF has a Ladybug on her keychain, and a Vic Classic.
jossta

Post by jossta »

Getting her a purple ladybug and purple fenix to carry on her keys soon. Maybe she'll like it, maybe she wont....any bigger and I know she wont though.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

None of them, lol.

She would rather spend the money on something else. I tried to trick her by getting a Blade-Tech Mouse (purple) for $17...it was adorable. First thing she said was,

"You didn't even get me a Spyderco?"
"You would have said it was a waste of money."
"Yea, so?"

/quit
bh49

Post by bh49 »

For self-defense my wife prefer mace to any knife. She need knife for utility use only. She doesn't like any pink knives and carries purple Ladybug for couple years and very happy with it.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Bacon

Post by Bacon »

My wife carries mace as well for self defense. She did say however when I got my ladybug that she would like one in a more "girly" color
-Brian

Byrd Meadowlark |Centofante3(the beginning :eek: ) Para2 Orange | Delica4 FRN | | Sage 3 | Ladybug Salt HB | Tenacious
SuzieQ

Post by SuzieQ »

The Husband pretty much hates the Spyderco style/look. The only one he's ever carried is a Kiwi. Even he had to admit that it is one cool looking knife and very functional in a small package :-)

From a girl's point of view I really like the Delicas for EDC purposes. Not too large and heavy, slim silhouette, but also not totally useless for slightly bigger tasks. The Delica also fits in most of my jeans pockets. It's also still non-threatening enough to keep people from screaming at you for whipping out a knife if you need one, especially in the bright colors like pink, purple or orange. If you set your mind to it you could probably also do some damage in a self defense situation.

Another cute knife for a woman would probably be the Dragonfly. Personally I find the ergonomics a bit weird but then I have fairly large hands for a woman and I dunno. Just not a good fit for me. The FRN Dragonfly is very light and small though while at the same time still serves well for most of your regular EDC duties. Love the bright yellow color of my SALT D'fly.

By the way, I heard that the Squeak is supposed to be released in new colors this year and one of them is supposed to be pink. It's a fabulous little knife that should make it into every woman's purse or pocket. Much more useful than a Ladybug even though those are cute, too.
She: Did you say pink :spyder: sprint run?! - He: Yeah. - She: Wow, wouldn't this go great with my purple Delica?! - He: ? - :D

:spyder: Delica 4 FFG purple ::: Dragonfly Salt Yellow SE ::: Ladybug Foliage Green PE ::: UK Penknife Safety Orange G-10 ::: Byrd Robin G-10 PE ::: Delica 4 FFG pink - modded to non-locking ::: Squeak ::: Grasshopper ::: Kiwi - got snagged by the husband ::: Endura 4 FFG Orange ::: Delica ZDP-189 ::: Centofante 4 ::: Byrd Tern ::: Manix 2 Blue Lightweight :spyder:
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

My wife's been carring a pink d4 for a couple of years now, but she's likes my Squeak better. Once the Pink Squeaks hit the streets, she'll probably switch to one of those.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram

Post by 1623 »

My wife will be receiving a Pink Squeak as soon as they're available.

If she wanted a knife strictly for self defense, without question it would be a Matriarch.
-Jodi

It's not just in my head, it's in my heart.