Sal, can we please get a FRN Lava please???

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Would you buy a Lava in FRN or G10?

Yes!!
75%
No :(
25%

Total votes: 159

moeman

Sal, can we get a G10 Lava please???

Post by moeman »

Hi everyone,

I love the shape and design of the Lava, but I am not a fan of stainless steel handles and really feel that it held the original back.

If we could get a Lava in FRN or.... gasp... G10! I think it would be very popular!
I just picked up a Squeak and love it and made me think back to the Lava.

Please Sal, please, I am begging here! :D

Thank you!
Chris
DeltaWhiskey

Post by DeltaWhiskey »

not the first time this has been proposed...but I think its worthy of another plea. :D
"Please forgive me dear...I bought another knife"
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Not sure it would kick the Dfly2 out of my pocket...

But "back in the day" I dreamed about having an FRN-handled Co-Pilot. The Stainless Steel scales just punch holes in my pockets and are too slippery for my taste...

TedP
Azwaiian

Post by Azwaiian »

moeman wrote:Hi everyone,

I love the shape and design of the Lava, but I am not a fan of stainless steel handles and really feel that it held the original back.

If we could get a Lava in FRN or.... gasp... G10! I think it would be very popular!
I just picked up a Squeak and love it and made me think back to the Lava.

Please Sal, please, I am begging here! :D

Thank you!
Chris
+1
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

What about steel choices? Would this be a Japan produced model?
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

The handle was not so much my issue as the ergos are so good the knife is pretty much locked into your hand. The blade shape was, as it is not the most useful. I do not carry a knife for self defense so found the everyday utility lacking. If it was moved to a wharnnie we would be talking. At that point scale material wouldn't be an issue (G10 or a nice natural material).

My modification would probably be better suited to the aftermarket than having a new run. Too bad about the balde as I actually quite like the knife.
jhyde7585

Post by jhyde7585 »

im in 100% for this
redyps04

Post by redyps04 »

This has been brought up on here more times than you could shake a stick at. The basic gist from Spyderco, however, has been that there is probably not enough demand to justify the costs of preparing an FRN mold or retooling for G-10. I find that funny though, considering a Lava Sprint has been brought up more times on this forum than the Dodo Sprint, which got a fair shake. Heck, people STILL bring it up pretty regularly to this day, years after it's release! Why some make it and others don't is beyond me.
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

G-10 would be good for me. Honestly, I think the Lava & Scorpius should be given the same treatment that the Poliwog did -- steel to G-10.
"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I wouldn't hold my breath for FRN just on the basis they would have to make a mold for such a niche knife. Theoretically it would be cheaper/easier to do a run with two unlined G10 slabs similar to the Dodo with a lock-back.

It would still be tough to hurdle the fact that CLB has a nice working relationship with Boker at the moment. I think they have done like a dozen (or more) of his models.
Gofannon

Post by Gofannon »

It could be funny whith a lava color as burgundy or red FRN.
"The things you own end up owning you."
Tyler, Fight Club

:spyder: My spyderco :spyder:

Geoffrey
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I will be interesting on G10 lava, even more micarta or polished G10 Lava. FRN can be OK as well, but I like smooth finish like on Centos
redyps04 wrote:This has been brought up on here more times than you could shake a stick at. The basic gist from Spyderco, however, has been that there is probably not enough demand to justify the costs of preparing an FRN mold or retooling for G-10. I find that funny though, considering a Lava Sprint has been brought up more times on this forum than the Dodo Sprint, which got a fair shake.
As I see it, Lava was brought up many times. Orange Dodo was brought up just once, but the thread never went away. Some people like Lava, bring it up and forget about it for several month. people never forgot Orange Dodo. Please, understand me correctly, I love both knives. But Dodo is so hot that it probably turning red :) :D
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
eyeguy08

Post by eyeguy08 »

I missed out in the original lava but am drawn to the "little-big" knife. Id buy multiple lavas if it were to be re-released (especially a g10 or frn version)!
Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger »

Not a ss fan but I would definitly buy a G10 Lava.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

As others mentioned, the cost of the FRN mold will probably keep this from happening. G10 would be more likely, but im not sure if there is enough demand for that either. it sure is a funky looking little knife, I might pick a sprint up if it ever happens.
moeman

Post by moeman »

Curious, I would like to know why people are saying no....
Some good points up above. I Just think it would be a much more popular knife in something other than SS.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I just have no interest. But as long as it wouldn't push production of a knife that I would be more interested in...then why not I guess.
On the hunt for...
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

moeman wrote:Curious, I would like to know why people are saying no....
Some good points up above. I Just think it would be a much more popular knife in something other than SS.
I think most people really like the design but there are a few issues that might keep it from being produced.

I'm all for Spyderco making anything people want. While we are wishing though lets change the blade shape...not a huge fan of a short drop-point with a ton of belly.
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

Gunslinger wrote:Not a ss fan but I would definitly buy a G10 Lava.
100% agree with this. I really dont like SS expecially on a little knife - it makes the weight vs. blade size ratio not good for me personally. I have seen a modded Lava on this forum somewhere with G10 and it looked great!! Would definitely be in for that - and then I could sell my SS version to someone who will appreciate it more than me (no, I am not soliciting a sale - just making a point).
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
dialex

Post by dialex »

Steve (STR) used to make a few mods of the Lava. They are looking good:

[ATTACH]19856[/ATTACH]
Attachments
G10_Lava.jpg
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.