Orange Dodo Availability

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
God'sMyJudge

Post by God'sMyJudge »

i find it difficult to close. is that just me and fat finger syndrome?
c.joe

Post by c.joe »

God'sMyJudge wrote:i find it difficult to close. is that just me and fat finger syndrome?
You're not the only one. That's why you don't see it too often.
Clip

Post by Clip »

God'sMyJudge wrote:i find it difficult to close. is that just me and fat finger syndrome?
Fresh out of the box mine was pretty tough. I thought about cutting down the G10 a little more but didn't want to do anything drastic so instead I cut my fingernails. That helped.

Last night I put a few drops of Tuf-Glide on the spring-loaded stem and that seemed to make a world of difference.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

Yeah all of the above, I lubed the heck out of mine and played with it for a few hours to loosen it up, cutting your nails helps also. I found the best way is to wedge your thumb in the groove and pull back, if you put too much sideways pressure on the bb it sticks. Im really starting to like the uncaged bb its fun to play with and its cool to see all the moving parts.
I see, said the blind man.
iwolf81

Post by iwolf81 »

Clip wrote:Fresh out of the box mine was pretty tough. I thought about cutting down the G10 a little more but didn't want to do anything drastic so instead I cut my fingernails. That helped.

Last night I put a few drops of Tuf-Glide on the spring-loaded stem and that seemed to make a world of difference.
The ball spring on mine has loosened up with use and a drop of Breakfree CLP. It's getting easier to flick close like my Poliwog. I do need to get the Tuf-Glide drops, though; the Tuf-Glide wipe are phenomenal!

Ira
D3 CE, FG D4 CE Krein'd, Blue D4 FFG, Pink D4, Caly3 SE, USN E4 CE, Pink E4 CE, E4 ZDP-189 SE, FG E4 CE, E4 G10 FFG, Tenacious SE, Para SE, Para D2, Millie D2, ATR SE, Orange Assist I, Blue Rescue 93, Khukuri, Barong, Meerkat, Ladybug H1 SE, Manix 2 XHP, Rock Salt, S90V Mule Krein'd, JD Smith Sprint, Brown Matriarch SE, Poliwog, Stretch CE, Millie M4/Ti, Rock Lobster, Zulu, Rescue 79, D'Allara Rescue, LadyHawk SE, Lum Tanto Sprint, Dragonfly G10, Chaparral, Sage I, Caspian, Gayle Bradley
rg02

Post by rg02 »

Any tricks to close the dodo with one hand? I have had to use to hands so far.....
-Ryan

-Techno, cruwear Mule, Dragonfly 2 FRN, Assist, Endura FRN ATS-55 SE, Endura SS aus-6 PE, Persistence(Wife's)
-Wicked Edge
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

My fingers are a tight fit to access the lock to unlock it, but I can make it work. There are only two gripes I have about the Dodo, and one is that (which is minor). The other is that I didn't get one for free. Just because I need a free knife.
Clip

Post by Clip »

Just dig in on the lock with your thumb and press above the hole with your index finger. Still leaves three fingers on the knife. Wonder if I work it enough it'll become free-swinging like my Manix.

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

I would be interested to see you flick close it one handed, I was starting to doubt that it was possible, it seems that even with the ball fully retracted it still makes contact with the tang, not allowing it to swing, I can flick close all my p'kals but they are cbb. I find it easier to close two handed, always got my para if I feel the need to flick something ;)
iwolf81

Post by iwolf81 »

rg02 wrote:Any tricks to close the dodo with one hand? I have had to use to hands so far.....
I hold the knife with my thumb and index finger on the ball and the end of the handle tucked into my palm (this provides useful leverage for retracting the ball.) I then slightly raise the blade upwards, retract the ball, and give the knife a brief, hard snap down and up. The upward movement causes the blade to swing downward into the handle due to its momentum, at which point I release to ball to lock the knife closed. It takes a little practice, but one quickly gets the hang of it. A stiff ball spring initially makes this method difficult, but the spring does loosen with lubrication and repetition, thus making it easier to perform.

Regards,
Ira
D3 CE, FG D4 CE Krein'd, Blue D4 FFG, Pink D4, Caly3 SE, USN E4 CE, Pink E4 CE, E4 ZDP-189 SE, FG E4 CE, E4 G10 FFG, Tenacious SE, Para SE, Para D2, Millie D2, ATR SE, Orange Assist I, Blue Rescue 93, Khukuri, Barong, Meerkat, Ladybug H1 SE, Manix 2 XHP, Rock Salt, S90V Mule Krein'd, JD Smith Sprint, Brown Matriarch SE, Poliwog, Stretch CE, Millie M4/Ti, Rock Lobster, Zulu, Rescue 79, D'Allara Rescue, LadyHawk SE, Lum Tanto Sprint, Dragonfly G10, Chaparral, Sage I, Caspian, Gayle Bradley
Seven

Post by Seven »

Mine might be here tomorrow :D
______
Eric.
Clip

Post by Clip »

w3tnz wrote:I would be interested to see you flick close it one handed, I was starting to doubt that it was possible, it seems that even with the ball fully retracted it still makes contact with the tang, not allowing it to swing, I can flick close all my p'kals but they are cbb. I find it easier to close two handed, always got my para if I feel the need to flick something ;)
Got a video on my phone, I'll try to upload and post in a few.

Chris
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

Does anybody know if a new batch of these has shipped out recently in the last week?
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

captnvegtble wrote:Does anybody know if a new batch of these has shipped out recently in the last week?
It would make sense, I also received a shipping notice from the pre-order.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

captnvegtble wrote:Does anybody know if a new batch of these has shipped out recently in the last week?
I'd guess not. I got another "still backordered" email from KC today.
:bug-red-white
Donut

Post by Donut »

-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

A bit pricey, though? :(
angusW

Post by angusW »

iwolf81 wrote:I hold the knife with my thumb and index finger on the ball and the end of the handle tucked into my palm (this provides useful leverage for retracting the ball.) I then slightly raise the blade upwards, retract the ball, and give the knife a brief, hard snap down and up. The upward movement causes the blade to swing downward into the handle due to its momentum, at which point I release to ball to lock the knife closed. It takes a little practice, but one quickly gets the hang of it. A stiff ball spring initially makes this method difficult, but the spring does loosen with lubrication and repetition, thus making it easier to perform.

Regards,
Ira
+1

That is exactly what I do plus the Tuf-Glide. Much easier to close now.

I can also flick it open which I'm a bit surprised to be able to do as the blade isn't that long.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger »

Once you break them in they will be very easy to open and close one handed, I have one I have been carrying since I got it and it is as smooth as butter now. I didn't use any lubes either.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

Going off topic slightly here lol but I lied before, the bb does come off the tang when retracted, the pivot on mine was too tight not allowing the blade to swing freely. I pulled it down today and re-adjusted everything to my liking. Also been using the knife at work since I got it, mainly for stripping cables, its probably the most useful knife Ive ever used for electrical work, fantastic design, the orange G10 gets dirty quick tho.

[video=youtube;Y0vw8XggG0A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0vw8XggG0A[/video]